Need help with my internet browser

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Yes i know this is in the wrong section and unfortunately i had no other choice as the proper section is never ever looked at.

so here is my problem. a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away i once used internet explorer. Then one day it started to go slow, the slowness gradually increased for about a 1-2 weeks until it was unusable. I then could not take it anymore and switched to firefox where i immediately noticed a massive difference, pages would load instantly like they used to with internet explorer. now for some blasted reason the same thing is now happening with firefox and i dont want to switch to google chrome. I did download it however to check if the same thing is happening that happened before and it is, instant page access.

I remember some time ago i fixed the problem by going to C:\WINDOWS\Cookies and deleting every file which sped it up again. HOWEVER.... that cookies file apparently no longer exists, and simply going in and deleting all cookies through the browser itself does not have the same effect as i have done it multiple times now.

please any suggestions?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
k guys pretend im this little cute kitten now i hope that helps you help me
cutekitten.gif

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Start>all programs>acessories>system tools>disk cleanup
Use it on C drive also,
in Firefox, tools, clear private data, check everything except passwords.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
maverick7: I wouldnt be suprised if it was a spyware issue. Try out a few spyware cleaners (i use Spybot, Ad-aware and Hi-Jack This).

Internet cache, cookies, temp files etc. can all be cleaned in IE with "Tools" "Internet Options" under the "General" tab theres clear cache etc.

for reference this cache since XP is now kept under c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\ where "user" is your login name. In there will be history, temp internet files etc.

Another option to clean these issues can be to "reset" your user profile. This can be done by booting a WinPE cd or similar, and deleting (or moving as you might need some files in there later) the c:\c:\documents and settings\user... directory, again where user is your login name for windows. This will force windows to re-create all personalised settings.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
IE7 also has the option of resetting everything to factory settings.

Control panel- Internet options- advanced tab.

It wil reset, do away with toolbars, clean cache, reset homepage, etc.

Also, download and use (free), Spywareblaster, and Spybot, both these have preventative features built in.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
i wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be your ISP. I use comcast and it fails about once a month. --- It will load some pages like Toms and Google news but when you click links it just can't deliver them.

I'd say uninstall and re-install the latest firefox build just to make sure it wasn't an update installation that is causing it.

ps. I gave this advice for free as I dislike cats :)