Realtek Onboard only does stereo over SPDIF

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I have a MSI P7N SLI Platinum, and a Samsung Ht-DB600, (home theater system i found in the basement, its 500 watts, 5.1 and free, so I can't complain.)
My problem is the on board audio only does stereo over (or at least it only gives me that option in the vista audio properties) Is there any way to do 5.1? The onboard can do 7.1 over standard 2.5mm jacks, but the only 5.1 input on the sound system is digital optical. I would like to get a new sound card, but I don't have the money, and my next purchase is a replacement mouse.

Morik

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I have a similar problem, 500w 5.1 home theater with digital optical input. I would like to connect my pc over toslink and play games on 5.1. Would any card with optical out work for this, even the cheaper ones like Turtle Beach Riviera 5.1. It has to be 5.1 over optical since i want to play on tv and would not like to spend a lot of money on a creative x-fi card. I'm running vista 32-bit and the pc games ill be playing are recent ones like fallout 3, farcry 2, dead space, etc.