Sign in with
Your question

Recovering data from sata hdd (broken sata connection)

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 7, 2010 5:42:33 PM

Hi all,
I managed to snap the sata data aconnection from my hdd when i moved the hdd chasis from my case this morning. The metal pins are fine but the little plastic mounting bracket is gone :(  I was thinking of taking wire strippers and taking a sata cable apart and manually connecting them to the hdd. Has anyone tried this? Anyone got any advice?
a c 342 G Storage
March 8, 2010 3:16:05 PM

If the pins are OK, I would suggest your first attempt should be to try to plug the SATA data cable into the pins. You may have to be careful to manipulate delicate pins into the cable connector end by poking with a tiny screwdriver or with pliers. Be sure to provide mechanical support on the cable so it does not pull the pins. See if you can get a good connection that way, sufficient to copy everything off the damaged unit.

If that fails you MIGHT have to resort to modifying a SATA cable and soldering directly onto the pins. In fact, there is a possibility that one or more of the pins has lost its connection with the printed circuit board, and you would have to try gently soldering SATA cable wires directly to the correct PC board point.
!