Sign in with
Your question

CCC 8.10 4870 Fan Control?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2008 6:08:10 PM

I just got my first ATI card, Sapphire HD4870 1G, and I'm still getting to grips with the CCC app.

My cards temp idles at around 80-85, and when I manually adjust the fan speed in CCC, the fan speed does not change. Do I need to look at something else? I have also disabled cool&quiet.

Biostar T570Sli mobo
2g OCZ reaper 1066
AMD 5400+ BE
Windows XP
Corsair TX650 PSU

Nothing OC'd (yet)

Also, in the POST, it shows my memory to be 667???

More about : ccc 4870 fan control

October 28, 2008 8:45:29 PM

If you have n`t guessed yet, in CCC in the Overdrive panel is an icon in the top left of the pane that looks like a padlock, click on it to unlock Overdrive.
Do n`t forget to APPLY them or the changes will not be active the next time you boot.
As for speeds, I`m not sure about the 1Gb but my 512Mb version is quite happy, and quiet at 35%, but higher speeds will give better cooling at the cost of rapidly increasing noise.
If in doubt, use Rivatuner to monitor temperatures while playing.
From what I have read, even with the fan set to manual, the card will overrride that setting to increase the speed if things get too hot.
October 28, 2008 9:45:58 PM

I actually tried the 8.10 Bios with the fan control set at 40%. But fan control doesn't work for some reason. I was just playing Crysis and it was lagging. I quit playing the game and my GPU temp was at 96C. I resorted to the profile that I made with the fan speed at 40%. Now my GPU is idling at 55C instead of 84C. I'm still going with the manual fan control option now.
Related resources
October 29, 2008 5:11:49 AM

Thanks guys, I got it going now. Seems I just had to install SP2 on XP for all to be OK. Duh, I know.

Can anyone give me a quick guide or link on how to set up different profiles, and espesially how to get the card to use 2D settings in desktop mode. I've read on the forum somewhere about another guy doing this, to bring the power consumption down when he's not gaming.
October 30, 2008 1:30:54 AM

keyter said:
Thanks guys, I got it going now. Seems I just had to install SP2 on XP for all to be OK. Duh, I know.

Can anyone give me a quick guide or link on how to set up different profiles, and espesially how to get the card to use 2D settings in desktop mode. I've read on the forum somewhere about another guy doing this, to bring the power consumption down when he's not gaming.

I'll give you a little more helpful advice. Try searching on Google this "4870 Fan Fix" it should come up with a way to edit a profile that you have already created in CCC. That's what I did and it works.
!