Sign in with
Your question

AFTER ADDING NEW HDD and RAM UPGRADE

Last response: in Storage
March 7, 2010 6:21:34 PM

I have a dell dimension 4550 and had been having trouble with it for about 2 months now. I ended up buying a new HDD and upgraded from 512mb ram to 1024mb. I installed the new components, when I booted my system it gave me the following "error auto sensing hard disk drive".
I did a utility test and it said "Primary IDE Drive0 error attempting diagnostics" and an error code 0x0000007f. I am perplexed. It will not allow me to use the F8 function at all. Can ANYBODY help?

More about : adding hdd ram upgrade

a c 415 G Storage
March 7, 2010 6:52:00 PM

Are these IDE drives, and do you have the old and new drives both connected? If so, it may be a master/slave conflict - you have to set the jumpers on the drives so that one of them is designated as the "master" and the other is designated as the "slave". See: http://www.pctechbytes.com/jumpers.htm

Edit: even if you have only one hard drive connected, if it's on the same cable as your CD or DVD drive you can have the same problem.
March 7, 2010 9:20:34 PM

sminlal said:
Are these IDE drives, and do you have the old and new drives both connected? If so, it may be a master/slave conflict - you have to set the jumpers on the drives so that one of them is designated as the "master" and the other is designated as the "slave". See: http://www.pctechbytes.com/jumpers.htm

Edit: even if you have only one hard drive connected, if it's on the same cable as your CD or DVD drive you can have the same problem.

Hi thanks for the info. I know what I did and dont know how to correct it. When I originally started having probs., It was saying that it could not recognize my win license. As I was fooling around with that one day, I got into notebook(pad) which ever and made a dos change that now has caused my system not to be able to recognize the hard drive. even with the old one its not recognizing the hard drive. The command line that I changed is what has caused my whole problem. If some one could help me with that, I would be incredibly grateful. I can not afford a new system. Do you know how I can repartition my old hard drive and erase the Win XP Pro? Everytime I try to do this, it blows my mind.
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
March 7, 2010 10:01:26 PM

You're going to have to be a lot more specific about what file you changed...
March 7, 2010 11:06:01 PM

sminlal said:
You're going to have to be a lot more specific about what file you changed...

Thats where i am screwed. Im going to have to go back and see if I can retrace what I did. Sorry, I know that you are trying to help, but, I am not exactly sure. Hopefully, I will be able to do that. Thank you so much for your help.
!