Can unlocking phenom II cores harm VRM zone?

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hi everybody,

I have been lucky to unlock my Phenom II X2 550BE to an X4 using a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P mobo through use of the bios ACC function. I have unlocked all 4 cores but I'm NOT doing any overclocking. And I'm using the stock heatsink/fan which came with the CPU.

I'm a bit concerned about this warning on Gigabyte website:
Please apply sufficient cooling to CPU VRM zone when ACC function is enabled.

1- Does this mean that I have to change my CPU cooling system? Do they mean I have to use some sort of heatsink on the VRM zone, or a good CASE ventilation would suffice?

2- Are they implying that an unlocked phenom II will cause more heat in the VRM zone than a regular phenom II X4 CPU? According to Gigabyte, the mobo is supposed to support Phenom II X4 CPU's after all !

Thanks in advance

That means that you should be monitoring your temps and make sure you do not exceed 60c, specially as a B50. Get a cooler and leave your worries behind.... I have my 550 currently unlocked at 3.8Ghz and it idles at 28c and tops out at 44c. Of course this cannot be achieved with the stock cooler, just giving you an idea. If you are going to leave your CPU at 3.1Ghz then you do not need a cooler unless your room and case temps are outrageously high....

As long as your temps are at a tolerable level you are will be fine ;)

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hi OvrClkr,

Thanks for the input.
I think you are referring to the CPU temperatures. My concern is about the VRM zone temperature (as warned by Gigabyte). Should I use a heatsink for that area or no need as long as I don't overclock?

Thanks

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
By the way, it seems when you unlock the cores you lose the CPU sensor readings. HWmonitor nor the coretemp cannot report the CPU core temperatures anymore. How can I monitor the core temperatures?

Ok, as far as the VRM, like I said check temps and you will be fine.. Other than that you have nothing to worry about.

Download everest or speedfan if you want to see your temps. The only temps that are disabled are the individual core temps but those are not important so don't worry about that either. CPU temp is what you need to be looking at :

newidle.jpg

Both programs show the CPU temp [:jaydeejohn:5]

safai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks a lot OvrClkr.

The temperature you are referring to seems to be locked in my system, meaning it doesn't change at all. But let me check again to make sure. I will get back to you.

Thanks again