Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Annoying 4870 issues, WoW-related

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2008 1:03:22 AM

Put together a new computer--4870, E8500, 4GB. I was pretty pumped about it--I thought it would eat all my games alive compared to my old 7950GT. But I've tried out quite a few games and things don't seem to add up.

The most important problem is with WoW, since that's what I play the most. This isn't just an issue of framerates. The problem is a frequent, hardly noticeable jerking. It's most noticeable when I'm watching the edges of the screen and moving around. I don't notice a tangible drop in the framerate when this happens--it hovers right around 59-60 constantly (I keep vsync on, and turning it off didn't help). It happens every 3-10 seconds. Additionally, when I make a fast camera movement, I get big stutters, often lasting several tenths of a second.

Now in addition to that, I do get framerate issues: depending on where I am, I generally do manage to stay capped at 60, but in some of the fancier areas I dip dramatically, into the 30s occasionally. This is at 1680x1050, with all settings maxed. It does seem like the really bad framerates are due to shadows, since turning them off buoys the framerate when it's low.

However, that micro-jerking remains, and it's the thing that's really driving me crazy. It absolutely did not happen with my old card. I can get it to go away by turning all settings to low, but if I bring even a few up, it starts to come back. This happens with or without AA. Is this a problem with my 4870, or have any of you experienced similar problems with it?

A similar thing happens with Oblivion, by the way.
October 30, 2008 12:38:50 AM

WOW isn't that demanding of a game. It should run smooth with E8500 and 4870 at that setting.

1. did you update your drivers?
2. did you adjust 4870's fan speed?
3. you have a good internet connection right?
October 30, 2008 11:17:59 PM

Yep, yep, and yep.
Related resources
October 31, 2008 8:55:10 PM

My comp is similar just slightly different specs E8400 (OC'd to 3.6GHz), HD4850 (OC'd can't remember to what speeds) and 4GB RAM.

Was and still am having slight issues with WOW. The driver crashes and resets, my comp is fine and the game doesn't close, Catalyst is able to catch it and restart the driver. But I think it is happening for the same reason your getting a little buggy frame rates and the "micro-jerking." Are you running Vista 64-bit? As WOW has zero support for 64-bit OS's at this point? So I am assuming it has to do with the 64-bit OS and 64-bit drivers. Try changing some of the Catalyst settings to application controlled like AA. When I get home tonight from work I'll post my Catalyst settings, give you a better take on what I'm trying. Can't remember right now.

Also any game-pads or controllers plugged in like an Xbox 360 controller or guitar hero controller? I've had lots of issues in games like Mass Effect and The Godfather with my mouse jerking the camera all over the screen because I had the X-Plorer guitar plugged in.
November 29, 2008 11:35:59 PM

I think it has more to do with the memory on your graphics card. what brand do you have? i have had an asus 512mb 4870 and it does this. i bought an ati sapphire 1gb and no problems with this whatsoever. so if youre 512in it then i would say at least upgrade to 1gb to run WoW awesomely.
I could be completely wrong though. ha. but whatever. :p 
November 30, 2008 8:28:38 AM

Old topic, but that's no problem.

First of all: Run a 3Dmark06 test to see what is causing the problem.

I play WoW too, and I get 250FPS in some areas. Normal FPS is around 120, with a HD4850, Vista 64 bit, 4GB ram + E8400. Playing on a 22" screen with 1680x1050, everything on highest.

Try turning your Vertical Sync off anyways, I don't think it's good for anything.

@ SamanuelMC: This is still the common ATi HD version problem (nVidia has it too). It hasn't anything to do with your card, it's just the drivers which cause problems with Vista, or Vista causing problems with the drivers. The thing is that Vista is saying ATi and nVidia are the ones who make faulty drivers.
While ATi and nVidia are telling everyone that it's Vista which doesn't support their cards. And this has been going on for 1,5 year now.
January 20, 2009 6:14:40 PM

Yea I had this problem as well. To be honest I haven't had an ATI card work for me. I did the 4870 single. Then I did 4870x2 by itself. Then I did crossfire of each of those, I can't get the frame rate to exceed 30fps. But then I pop in my friends 9600GT and I get 30fps and he laughs at me.

I can't figure out why it is that I can't get WoW to run smoothly. What upsets me the most is that I read these forums and look at the articles and all the "benchmarks" are great. but they are of games that I don't play. And with a 11.4 million Subscriber Base that WoW has you would think this site would test that game.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 20, 2009 6:24:07 PM

From the HUGE number of posts we`re seeing on this subject I`d be more inclined to think the game itself is at fault and needs some serious patching.
January 20, 2009 6:34:29 PM

coozie7 said:
From the HUGE number of posts we`re seeing on this subject I`d be more inclined to think the game itself is at fault and needs some serious patching.

I don't think that it is the games fault, because my friends that keep saying "I told you so," are using NVidia cards. Actually my friend who has a single GTX260 192 core card out performs my 2 4870x2 Crossfired. Thats simply unacceptable. He paid 199.99 for his on Newegg. I paid a lot more for my setup and I get smoked. I don't even come close to his performance.

Still slightly irked by it.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 20, 2009 7:53:50 PM

See what I mean?
But We`re still seeing far too many posts here about this game and poor framerates, but, on balance, perhaps most are on the ATI side, but it seems poor that a game can perform so much better on one manufacturers products than another.
So, I say again, it seems more a problem with the game than the hardware it`s being played on.
Time for a patch to give ATI a fair crack of the whip!
January 20, 2009 8:30:42 PM

The problem is with SLI/Crossfire, disable it and WoW should run better
January 20, 2009 8:32:15 PM

coozie7 said:
See what I mean?
But We`re still seeing far too many posts here about this game and poor framerates, but, on balance, perhaps most are on the ATI side, but it seems poor that a game can perform so much better on one manufacturers products than another.
So, I say again, it seems more a problem with the game than the hardware it`s being played on.
Time for a patch to give ATI a fair crack of the whip!

Well I think this is a discussion of who would gain or lose more, during the "fix." Blizzard probably doesn't care much about ATI users otherwise they would have patched it by now. We have all seen hot fix patches for WoW.

nVidia cards work wonderfully. If we take Crysis, or something like that both manufacture's perform equally well and of course ATI or nVidia outperform each other depending on different factors including the program.

But we are talking about too significant of a difference to really blame the game. My friends 9800GT just smoked my dual 4870x2 setup. We have the exact same computer configurations, we use the exact same addons in game, and he gets a good doubling of performance compared to my setup. He paid 150 for his graphics card, I paid 1000 for mine. So i paid almost 8 times more money for half the performance.

This is an ATI issue. I think the benchmarks are great that they provide but are misleading. This site should include WoW in their benchmarking, seeing how popular the game is.
January 20, 2009 8:39:11 PM

m0oSe said:
The problem is with SLI/Crossfire, disable it and WoW should run better

I did I've run the following card configurations. I've returned the previous cards because I didn't see any improvement

1.) Single 4850 512meg

2.) Single 4870 512meg

3.) Single 4870 1Gig

4.) Crossfire 4870 1Gig

5.) Single 4870 x2. (Thought crossfiring was the problem)

6.) Crossfired 4870x2.

My frame rates are always roughly 30fps, no matter what I did. I set the game on high still 30fps(if it could even do that). I set the game on the poorest setting still 30fps. Same result for all setups. I've reformatted, reinstalled, used the standard drivers, used the most updated drivers, used beta drivers someone gave me. I even bought a new chip, board ram, powersuppply. Money isn't an issue for me when it comes to what I like. I have a budget of 7,500 for this one system all in. Nothing has helped me at all, when it comes to ATI stuff. I really want it to work because I own stock in AMD and I wanted to support companies I own. But its really freaking frustrating when their top of the line stuff doesn't work.

Anyhow, I don't want to sound too negative. I signed up on this forum to hopefully get this problem fixed. My computer is here to stay I'm just sad I can't support a company of which I own stock in. I hate being wrong and I went out of my way to tell my friends that my 4850 was better than his 9600GT. And that I can smoke him in performance, only to see him run circles around my computer and laughing since he spent less money. And now its dragged on to a point where I dumped 1000 dollars on graphics cards that still loses to his 9600gt. I mean this can't be right.
January 22, 2009 9:58:01 AM

I have an ATI 4870 oced 512 mb, Q6600 oced to 3GHz and 4 gigs of ram. I use drivers 8.12 and play WOW with everything maxed out at framerates ranging from 100 to 250. The resolution is 1680x1050. I set all the setting in the 3D section of the CCC to application or performance, and enabled the AI. Also I use Vista Business x64.
WOW should run waaayyyy better then mine does so I guess something is wrong with the settings in CCC, or maybe there is a hardware problem.
This I dont think is an ATI problem. I have a friend who has an 4850 and an AMD 4400x2 processor. He plays WOW at 60 FPS average at the highest settings at 1680x1050, but he has the same settings as me in the CCC and the same OS.
January 22, 2009 1:31:16 PM

For some people which experience poor fps in their games, maybe it could have something with that the powersupply in the box isn't powerful enough to drive the graphics card to it's maximum potential?

I have personal experience where I had a chieftec powersupply in the past which started to malfunction after a couple of months due to the fact that it wasn't powerful enough for my new graphic card, which was a Connect3D Radeon9800XT (a couple of years ago).
February 2, 2009 2:02:53 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
I have an ATI 4870 oced 512 mb, Q6600 oced to 3GHz and 4 gigs of ram. I use drivers 8.12 and play WOW with everything maxed out at framerates ranging from 100 to 250. The resolution is 1680x1050. I set all the setting in the 3D section of the CCC to application or performance, and enabled the AI. Also I use Vista Business x64.
WOW should run waaayyyy better then mine does so I guess something is wrong with the settings in CCC, or maybe there is a hardware problem.
This I dont think is an ATI problem. I have a friend who has an 4850 and an AMD 4400x2 processor. He plays WOW at 60 FPS average at the highest settings at 1680x1050, but he has the same settings as me in the CCC and the same OS.

My question is when you are standing in say Dalaran or something. my friends setup yields him ~60 fps. We use Vertical Sync because it matches with the monitor. I brought my setup to his place to use his internet connection and I get 30fps. I have him looking in the same direction then I stand on top of him ingame and I get half his frame rate.

Using the same internet connection, same location in WoW. Same settings. I get 30 he gets 60.

I just wanto fix it because its really irritating.

As for the previous gentleman's comments I have a 1000W power supply. I think I meet the requirements and beat it by quite a bit. I'm willing to go more if I need to.
February 2, 2009 2:16:39 PM

Question: Is WOW the only affected game, or are the others that are affected as well? Also, test for a bit with V-sync off, just in case...
February 2, 2009 3:55:40 PM

gamerk316 said:
Question: Is WOW the only affected game, or are the others that are affected as well? Also, test for a bit with V-sync off, just in case...

I run every other game flawlessly. Which made me initially think that WoW was the problem not the hardware. Then I realized that my friend, who built his system with lesser performing components did well in every game including WoW; difference was he uses an Nvidia card.

Its something. I just found out that I'm not the only one. In fact there are huge threads over at the AMD / ATI forums where countless people with amazing systems are having the same problems. This isn't a small issue, its a large one. And you think with a game that has 11.4 million subsribers in its base you would make hardware or software or whatever the problem is to maximize that game.

V Sync off its still 30fps. V Sync on its still 30 fps. I turn off all shader effects reduce everything in the game to a minimum and it still is 30 fps. I turn it all on and its 30fps.

Of course its not exactly 30 but it averages there. So I'm talking rarely I get 15fps someties I get 35 but 30 is the average.
February 3, 2009 7:27:49 AM

WoW's engine is very old, so you must understand that machines which are over-kill for it normally do the same as rubbish machines - try getting your hands on dungeon keeper 2 for example, i bet you that you'll have trouble playing it due to your graphics card being more powerful that the PC's back in the day :p 

I myself get 30-120 in dalaran, and 120+ in 25man raids, it's all to do with that the game is also fully loaded - like, Northrend is one big continent which your computer is accessing all of that data to load it, (this is normally why the #132-#134 issues are caused) sort of like a normal game in a level, but this "level" is 10 times bigger, with 500+ players all interacting with it, with mobs, npcs, etc in otherwords, it takes a lot of memory and cpu usage - not graphics power.

The issue is with the data being loaded on and off the RAM, and until blizzard update their core engine for the game, there's nothing anybody can do about it.

My only suggestions are: type "/Console Maxfps 200"
Clean your cache, WTF and interface folders and download then install the newest version of addons, might help a bit :p 

My spec:

E8500
HD 4870 1GB
1280x1024 (max mon res)
2GB RAM
Full WoW detail
February 3, 2009 1:18:49 PM

mikew said:
WoW's engine is very old, so you must understand that machines which are over-kill for it normally do the same as rubbish machines - try getting your hands on dungeon keeper 2 for example, i bet you that you'll have trouble playing it due to your graphics card being more powerful that the PC's back in the day :p 

I myself get 30-120 in dalaran, and 120+ in 25man raids, it's all to do with that the game is also fully loaded - like, Northrend is one big continent which your computer is accessing all of that data to load it, (this is normally why the #132-#134 issues are caused) sort of like a normal game in a level, but this "level" is 10 times bigger, with 500+ players all interacting with it, with mobs, npcs, etc in otherwords, it takes a lot of memory and cpu usage - not graphics power.

The issue is with the data being loaded on and off the RAM, and until blizzard update their core engine for the game, there's nothing anybody can do about it.

My only suggestions are: type "/Console Maxfps 200"
Clean your cache, WTF and interface folders and download then install the newest version of addons, might help a bit :p 

My spec:

E8500
HD 4870 1GB
1280x1024 (max mon res)
2GB RAM
Full WoW detail

My question for you is. If it is an old engine and this is normal WoW behavior. Then why is it that my friend with the exact same computer as myself, with the exact same brand and quality of parts is beating me and my setup by an average of at least 50% better performance. The only difference is that he is running nVidia and I'm running ATI. Everything else is exactly the same.

When I'm getting about 30fps he is getting at least 45 if not 55. With or without vertical sync he always beats me.

I really don't care about newer games, I don't play any of them. I have them but they are not for me. I'm building a machine to kill WoW, I don't care about Crysis or COD or any of those. I want the best performance possible for the my situation. I'm just really irritated because I spent a rediculoud ammount of money on my system and time now and just because my friend has an nVidia card he smokes my machine. Yes I know maybe I should just buy an nVidia card. But I want to support AMD since I own their stock and it would be odd for me not to. Why is it that a 150 dollar 9800GTX+ from nVidia smokes single 4870x2 in WoW? Why is it that 9800GTX+ also smokes Crossfired 4870x2? Makes no sense to me at all.
February 4, 2009 8:37:56 AM

Quote:
My question for you is. If it is an old engine and this is normal WoW behavior. Then why is it that my friend with the exact same computer as myself, with the exact same brand and quality of parts is beating me and my setup by an average of at least 50% better performance. The only difference is that he is running nVidia and I'm running ATI. Everything else is exactly the same.

When I'm getting about 30fps he is getting at least 45 if not 55. With or without vertical sync he always beats me.

I really don't care about newer games, I don't play any of them. I have them but they are not for me. I'm building a machine to kill WoW, I don't care about Crysis or COD or any of those. I want the best performance possible for the my situation. I'm just really irritated because I spent a rediculoud ammount of money on my system and time now and just because my friend has an nVidia card he smokes my machine. Yes I know maybe I should just buy an nVidia card. But I want to support AMD since I own their stock and it would be odd for me not to. Why is it that a 150 dollar 9800GTX+ from nVidia smokes single 4870x2 in WoW? Why is it that 9800GTX+ also smokes Crossfired 4870x2? Makes no sense to me at all.

That's a pretty simple one... WoW doesn't support SLI/Crossfire (This includes multi-GPU which is the X2 version, as technically it's crossfire) , eitherway if you read the technical forums, 80% of complaints with graphical issues are with Nividia which experience this problem. - If you mean to say that you have an X2 rather than a normal 4870, you now know what your problem is :p 
February 4, 2009 11:08:59 AM

Im currently looking for a new graphis adapter beacause my old Nvidia 7900 gt has known issues with tearing screen in WOW.
There are also several forum threads and discussions about this issue, so its not only ATI failing.

I "solved" my problem by running the game windowed and I do at least 30 fps in Dalaran with that crappy graphics card, and are sometime running close to 170 in the "good" areas. Still it sucks running windowed, so I need a new card.

I've set my mind on the 4870 in the basic version. No XF or anything just a single card.

Should I expect these issues or are there many people who run with 4870 without these issues? In other words - how big is this problem, and has it been adressed to a single component/64bit OS or something else?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2009 7:48:31 PM

Just download ATI driver 8.11, and all is back to normal 50fps, any driver above 8.11 gives problems.

got 4870X2 also, with 8.11 no more problem.

And yes, WOW, ATI, Nvidia drivers sucks, but who cares we buy high end and they dont care about it at all, no more high end stuff for me any more. Low end best performance best price, let the makers and there family buy the high end crap stuff.
February 5, 2009 6:57:59 AM

Yup ended up being too scared of faulty drivers to spend a fortune on one of the best cards and bought the cheaper 4850. If that one sucks at least the loss wont be huge.

260 gtx looks like it has a lot of forum posts aswell.

Roll the graphics adapter dice and hope you get lucky. Thats how it sounds to me. You feel lucky punk?!? :sol: 
February 5, 2009 3:02:46 PM

Same exact boat here with an OCed Core i7 920 @3.7Ghz (H2O cooled) with 6GB of DDR3 1600, 300GB Velociraptor, Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm, an Asus EAH4870 1GB (oced).

Temps are in check, disabled/enabled all kinds of options w/o any success.

Viewing distance seems to have the greater effect on the shuttering... It's emphasized by the quality settings... ie, the higher the quality the greater the FPS drop.

I'm normally running 60FPS (not sure why so low, res is 1680x1050) but it dips to the teens everytime the camera is panned around.
Nothing has fixed the issue (add-ons, reinstalls, latest AMD drivers 9.xx, lower resolution).

Just sad it's taking so long to fix.
February 5, 2009 3:52:28 PM

I run a Asus 4850 and a E7300 processor. I run everything at stock speeds using the defaults. I never have any issues with low frame rates or with stuttering of the view.

In the past, I was OC'ing the video card and the processor. This gave rise to all kinds of similar issues to those mentioned above. Your systems, like mine, are total overkill for a game like WoW. The need to OC the system does not exist. Many people are doing this simply because they can. Do you relaly NEED to? I suggest putting your settings back to the defaults for your equipment and seeing if there is a difference. If there is not, then crank it back up. :)  You loose nothing by trying this.
February 5, 2009 3:57:19 PM

unfortunately clocking back down didn't do anything but for the FPS reduction, especially in other games such as Crysis... (CMOS was reset as well to be clear).
February 5, 2009 4:03:45 PM

samw5 said:
unfortunately clocking back down didn't do anything but for the FPS reduction, especially in other games such as Crysis... (CMOS was reset as well to be clear).

To be clear, we are talking about WoW specifically, not Crysis. What helps for one piece of software may hinder another. So, your redultion in frame rate for Crysis has no bearing on the situtation. Have you tested this with WoW? If so, did you notice the stuttering described by other posters in this thread? Did you ever see stuttering? Does it increase or decrease you FPS in WoW for an equivalent scenario? for instance, go to a crowded spot like Dalaran and measure the FPS with your system OC'd and without. You never know, it may actually help. It certainly fixed these issues on my system.
February 5, 2009 4:20:43 PM

yes in wow... i simply meant that clocking back down did have a reduction in fps in Crysis... not dramatic either but did...

As for WoW the problems remained the same, shutters everytime the camera is panned around.

As for now the only viable solution I found was to turn the viewing distance down (to around 25%).
February 5, 2009 4:24:34 PM

Sorry about that Sam. It did work for me though, and others might also find this to be useful. For you, the problem is obviously elsewhere. Nice system BTW. :) 
February 6, 2009 2:34:05 PM

mikew said:
Quote:

That's a pretty simple one... WoW doesn't support SLI/Crossfire (This includes multi-GPU which is the X2 version, as technically it's crossfire) , eitherway if you read the technical forums, 80% of complaints with graphical issues are with Nividia which experience this problem. - If you mean to say that you have an X2 rather than a normal 4870, you now know what your problem is :p 

I don't remember if I posted it in this forum but I'll restate it. I had a 4870, 4870 1 gig, 4870 xfire, 4870x2, 4870x2 xfire.

I don't really care about how much money I spend I want to make ATI play WoW smoothly and consistently. It appears that I can't even with the new drivers I get the same problem.

I don't want to give in and buy nVidia. I actually have no experience with teh GTX 260, since only a handful of my friends have it. I do have experience with the 9800GTX and my friend gets a better frame rate than I do and did with any configuration.

I'm starting to realize one thing though, it appears that a lot of testing and reviews done by many places only run a benchmark or if they do play a game only for a short period of time or a day or two.

Anyhow that was my observation. My problem still exists with the system, a fresh reinstall of game and a reformat of the OS.

February 6, 2009 2:56:14 PM

triple buff seemed to help a bit when vsync is on... i'm gonna keep on playing around with this. disabling v-sync didn't do much. if anything the FPS was more spread out (up to the 90-100 range in sky area, down to 30s in dalaran) but I would still get the dips.
i was however able to run a 25men naxx last night with everything cranked up (even the viewing distance) with triple buff enabled w/o issues... still getting shuttering while outdoors tho.
February 6, 2009 3:36:05 PM

Yea running Arena or Raids and what not are easy. I can do that with my olders cards without a problem. Its the new stuff thats giving my problems.

What drives me nuts is that people just run "benchmarks" and see what the numbers are and compare that way. I wish people would just run the freakin game itself. To see how they work and do what normal people do, i.e. switch windows, alt+tab out and in repeatidly, respond to AIM messages and so on.

I can't call myself a hardcore gamer, though my system might scream it. I'm just a person that wants the one game that I play to run really smooth when I get time to play it.

Anyhow, please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions. Thank you Sam. And yea I don't turn off Vertical Sync because there is no point. My monitor can't refresh at 100 or 200 fps, I believe it can only do 60fps, so anything more than that is a waste isn't it? or maybe I'm wrong on the monitor. I have a Samsung T220.
February 6, 2009 4:30:54 PM

That's a pretty decent monitor, I'm using a couple Dell E228FWP.

I think the idea behind disabling vsync would be that the dip in FPS would still be there but since the avg FPS should be higher then the drop wouldn't be as noticeable. Unfortunately that didn't work for me (at least yet) though I did no experience with tearing above 60fps.

But technically there is indeed no point of running anything above 60 since the monitor can output them (extra work for the card itself).

I've read of some people pushing their refresh (on LCDs) to 75Hz. I'm not entirely sure my monitor can do it (I think it might at lower res, but not 1680x1050) so I'd rather not mess with it. But it would be interesting to see if a slight increase in FPS would make a difference.

Again those are possible ways to reduce the shuttering issues, however they don't really resolve the problem at hand.

Hopefully AMD and WoW will work together to resolve this issue. The only thing I can suggest is reporting the issue to both parties as much as possible so that they are aware of the problem.
February 10, 2009 3:44:30 PM

Anything new?

I'm stuck, playing WoW on my laptop because it actually runs smoother.
February 10, 2009 5:38:54 PM

nothing on my end... been in touch with WoW.. tried their suggestions but it didn't help.
so far the only thing that makes a difference is turning the viewing distance way down. Anything else (driver, vertical sync, resolution... u name it) doesn't do much to improve the issue.
February 18, 2009 1:39:21 AM

check "reduce input lag" if its not checked already, that could end the problem but might lower ur fps a little
February 18, 2009 9:55:46 AM

My setup is a q9550 and 4870 1gb, neither oc at the min (that is to come). I run at max settings and 1980x1200 and get around 50-60fps, i am slightly disappointed with this but its certainly liveable.

From what i have read, its likely to be the CPU that is the bottle neck, as WoW only semi supports dual core and has no support for quad. I am hoping that oc the processor to the 3.6gz mark will make a huge difference, but we will see.

However i was still expecting to be getting closer to the 100fps mark.
February 18, 2009 1:53:31 PM

Won't hit 100FPS ever unless you disable v-sync which may cause shearing issues if you're using an LCD (that doesn't support higher refresh).

If you're looking at understanding this in more details TweakGuide has an absolutely fantastic guide posted here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

Again the 60FPS cap has nothing to do with hardware limitation but rather driver settings... and it is in most cases very acceptable frame rate especially if maintained consistently.
February 18, 2009 2:35:55 PM

From what I understand, Quad Core becomes a Dual Core when running something like WoW. I could be wrong but what I've read 2 cores get paired and thus ending up with 2 cores. So Core 1 and 3 become core 1, and 2 and 4 become core 2. So your Quad core is a dual core for the sake of WoW.

But yea Vertical Sync forces your video card to match its output to your monitors output. Since your monitor can only do 60fps its kind of stupid to run it higher than that. It has been said that you can even get tears because of mis-frames that don't get displayed. From what people have said if you run with Vertical Sync your video card doesn't run as hard and therefore not running it hotter than needed Anyhow this is just repeat of someone else's talk in another place.
February 19, 2009 3:43:17 AM

I had a whole page of crap typed up, but due to my neglegence, I lost it...

So... I had the frequent (every 4 seconds) stutter happening...Until I opened Task Manager and forced 'ccc.exe' (Catalyst Control Centre) to close; closing it from the system tray icon didn't actually unload it. After doing so the problem disappeared...

I noticed it in Sega Rally, and Oblivion: Shivering Isles. (I don't play WoW).

I'm (currently) using Catalyst Control Centre 9.1.

My (relevant) hardware is as follows:-

M/B: XFX nForce 750a (PCI-X OC'd to 110Mhz)
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (OC'd to 3.25Ghz)
RAM: TeamXtreme 1066Mhz 15-5-5-5 CR2 (set to 929Mhz 15-5-5-5 CR1)
VID: HIS Radeon HD 4870 IceQ4+ 1GB (OC'd to 815Mhz/1160Mhz)
SND: X-Fi Platinum Pro (PCI version)
February 19, 2009 7:57:50 AM

I have vsync disabled, and still get around the 60fps level. I read somewhere about a maxfps command you can put into WoW might see if i can find it.
February 19, 2009 12:29:19 PM

try going in an area with little textures and point the camera to the sky... see if the FPS increases. If it does then chances are that the FPS your getting is about what your card can handle (depending on the resolution and graphical details).
My Radeon 4870 was also pulling around 60fps regardless of vsync on or off but that's at 1680x1050 with all details cranked up. Looking at reduced texture area would let the FPS jump to above 100 but not sustained.
I'm running this on an OCed Core i7 920 (@3.7Ghz) with 6GB of RAM and a 300GB Velociraptor drive so I can't think of anything else limiting the FPS but either the video card or the video driver.
February 19, 2009 4:27:46 PM

thanks Zenefess I'll try that out. I am building a home theatre pc and I'm planning on using a 4850 to power that bad boy. But I want to make sure that I can get these driver things to work, because I can forsee myself playing WoW in the living room on my 50" lcd and 7.1 Surround Sound system. lol

I guess I can always go with the nVidia equal the 9800GTX but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

Stevos - if you can't get over 60fps with vsync off you are probably in an area that you can't get over that fps anyhow. But keep in mind almost all LCD screens can only do 60fps, from what I heard correct me if I'm wrong.
February 19, 2009 4:44:18 PM

keep in mind that using a Home Theater setup may not be optimal for gaming sound... if you carry the signal over HDMI or SPDIF (as it should be if connected to a receiver) then you may only be able to output 2 channel sound from games, then your receiver might be able to emulate a 7.1 but it won't be coming from the game itself...

I have this setup at home, works great for TV/movies but I still have a dedicated rig that I use for gaming (connected to an analog 5.1 Logitech setup).
Oh and my Media Center is running a 4670 which can pull out WoW in 1080p w/o issues albeit the quality settings aren't turned all the way up.
February 19, 2009 7:47:53 PM

Yea I have been trying to figure this whole sound issue out for a while. I have already a dedicated sound card. I was thinking about running sound through the HDMI of my 4850 and have a dedicated sound card connected to my Reciever. The sound card samples at 90-something. I know I should go with 192 but I can't hear the difference.

Maybe you have the answer to this quesiton. Can I run both the onboard supported HDMI sound as well as my own stand alone sound card without conflict?
February 20, 2009 12:38:02 PM

i think you should be able to but you'll have to switch the device output in the control panel everytime you want to switch.
also make sure that your receiver will do HDMI sound, my Denon AVR1709 only does HDMI video passthru, so I still need to use the SPDIF which is perfectly fine unless you want to watch Blu-Rays. For those you can always pick something like AnyDVD HD, I think it patches surround sound to SPDIF instead of having it solely go thru HDMI.
October 18, 2009 3:18:04 PM

First off, im aware the thread is 6 months old... the forum has this nice little reminder before you decide to reply.

Second, im amazed at some of the posts. Some informative, some pointless bragging?

Okay, what OP is experiencing is called micro-stutters (the most common term used to describe this irritating phenomenon). First I want to dispel and clear up something about v-sync because it seems like the consensus is that its useless and causes problems which is far from the truth. In its simplest term v-sync limits your FPS to the rate that your monitor can display them without the effect known as screen tearing. One thing that puzzles me is all these people bragging about fps higher then 60. What I don]t understand is why anyone with a standard LCD is running this game, or any game for that matter without v-sync on, the screen tearing effect is horrible. So im assuming / hoping these people are momentarily disabling v-sync just to check their FPS at a particular point, which is fine since I do this myself, but to play without v-sync on? hah.

Now, about the micro-stutters themselves, I had my own run ins with this, and from my experience, the issue was caused by three factors, OS health, Graphic card drivers and lastly the v-sync buffering.

OS health. By this I mean having any and all third party useless software in the background killed before running the game, making sure Directx is fully updated and, yea I know it gets repetitive, all drivers up to date (save for your graphics card), paying special attention to motherboard / chipset drivers as these usually reek havoc if not installed properly.

Graphics card drivers. This one is probably ranked number 1, in terms of importance. I cant stress this enough, try multiple versions of drivers, not just the latest. I went through 7 driver versions before settling and always correctly remove the last drivers prior to installing new ones. I cant stress that enough, if not done correctly will cause more problems then you solve. There are a lot of useful tools out there to help, I usually rely on DriverCleaner. But again I stress this one is the most important, because I know for a fact a number of drivers I tried, began to show these micro-stutters in my games while reverting to another driver stopped them.

Lastly, v-sync buffer setting. This one had a slight impact on how severe the micro-stuttering occured, I found the default setting to be at 2-3 frames buffered. I played around with this and found 5-6 seemed to be the best setting for me, but you'll have to fiddle with this one yourself. As for the ATI boys, I don't how you would alter this, when I had an ATI card long ago, I used ATI Tray tools, not sure if thats still around. I currently use Rivatuner.

My specs for the curious:

- Q6600 OC @ 3Ghz
- 6GB DDR800Mhz
- 8800GT OC @ 660Mhz Core (Driver version 191.00)
- 4x 250GB Seagate HDs in Raid-0
- Gigabyte DSL4 MB nForce 650i SLI chipset
- Windows 7 x64 RTM (Had Vista Ultimate x64 before that and XP x86 before that, issues were present at some stage in XP install and Vista so I doubt this is an x86 or x64 issue)

Cheers,
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 29, 2010 3:00:20 PM

To calin
if you are running a hi def monitor with hdmi or component cables your refresh rate will always be no more than 30fps..the reason being that hd caps out at 30fps, (had this problem myself running a 4850x2) hook up using dvi and problems solved..i get anywhere from 100 to 250fps on wow with ultra settings..
June 19, 2010 4:01:37 PM

Hey,

I'm having pretty much the same issue as the original poster (screen jerking while playing WoW).

My setup is as follows:

- Samsung Syncmaster T220 22'' LCD - connected via RGB cable
- ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB Sapphire make
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
- 4GB DDR2 800 SD RAM
- ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

I run wow at 1680x1050 with 8x multi sample and everything on high except shadows, and this jerking problem is really annoying the hell out of me.

I've tried turning off and on every video setting individually, both in CCC and WoW, but nothing seems to stop the jerking and the framing when you pan the camera, specially on Lord Marrowgar during Bone Storm...

I only started encountering this problem after I switched from Windows XP 32-Bit to Windows 7 64-Bit, so what I'm wondering is..

1. Could this be a Windows 7 related compatibility issue with either WoW or ATI Card? OR
2. Is the issue 64-Bit OS related because I never had this jerking problems while running Windows XP 32-Bit.

Perhaps someone with a dual OS Setup could help me out...
!