Your question
Closed

4870x2 performing slowly

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2008 1:37:47 AM

i just built a new computer and now that i have it all together i tried out some games. in my experiences with several applications i'm getting significantly less performance than all of the reviewers that i've seen and i don't know why. all of my drivers are up to date, there is more than enough power from the psu and i've run a driver scan to check all of my drivers. for some reason it's all going slower than it should.

specs:
cpu- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
video card- ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
motherboard- asus p5n-d
RAM- 8GB 800Mhz
OS- vista business 64-bit

to give you an idea of what i mean here are some examples

crysis should be running around 30 to 35 fps on average with max settings, i'm getting between 15 and 20... which is almost unplayable

3dmark06 gave one reviewer a score of 19812, it gave me a score of 15985, and according to their website my score is at the very low end of the spectrum when compared to similar computers

so does anyone have any advice for me? any help would be appretiated

More about : 4870x2 performing slowly

October 29, 2008 2:01:27 AM

I am running a similar system:

q9550 at 3.0
ati 4870x2
4gb ddr2 1066
asus p5e
xfi

I have noticed that the card runs hot and that may be a factor. But also try using drivercleaner pro in safe mode to remove the drivers and install the new ones again, just to be sure.

I have noticed that my 4870x2 will NOT stretch to 3840x1200 with my two monitors and I cannot play games or movies at that resolution while the GTX 260 I had did that fine (same with the 9800gtx). Thus it may be a software issue.

If that does not solve anything then check the temps during gaming, as well as the fan speed. If all is well then it may be an unstable card.

Good luck!
October 29, 2008 2:15:02 AM

Agree with bornking. Check the temps of you gpu's. See if they are overheating. The latest catalyst drivers will allow you to increase your fan speed if your gpu's are overheating (ie you dont have the 'hack' the fan speed with the latest drivers). I'd also check the temp of your cpu while your at it, just to make sure thats ok too.

If thats not the case, then see if you can test the voltages for the leads on your powersupply for the gpus. Maybe one of them is bad or malfunctioning. I don't have a 4870x2, but last time I looked at one I think they require 2 power connections, right? If you are using a powersupply that doesn't have built in video card connections for that and you are using an adapter or a splitter, maybe you are not using the correct line (they have different voltages coming from the power supply). Basically, you want to make sure you are using the higher volt lines. And if you are using a splitter on one line, thats a no-no. I doubt this is the case, because it sounds like you know what you are doing. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Related resources
October 29, 2008 2:15:29 AM

i know for a fact that it's not the temperature because CCC tries to keep the card at around 90 degrees, well i'm soryy but that temperature for a computer component scares the sh*t out om me, so i run the fan at around 50% which keeps it going at about 50 degrees.
October 29, 2008 2:27:45 AM

psu maybe not delivering the juice? what brand/model psu?
October 29, 2008 2:38:34 AM

it's a coolmax, not sure what model though. it has the correct lines for both power connectors to the video card along with the cpu and stuff, so i'm not using any splitters or anything.

as for the wattage, it's a 950W psu, that should be well over what i need
a c 107 U Graphics card
October 29, 2008 3:35:42 AM

Yeah I don't think Coolmax is up there on consistent quality. Still, with your setup the PSU would only need to output between 30-40% of it's rated power. Try using the other 6 and 8 pin connectors since that PSU should have two of each. Could be one of the connectors is faulty, or you just have a faulty video card since it seems like you're running only one GPU core instead of two. Try another PSU if you can. Of course, make sure crossfire is enable too just in case you didn't already ^_^.
October 29, 2008 12:28:54 PM

Maybe you haven't enabled CF. Sounds like only one core is functioning. And how many monitors? What res? All Very High I suppose? What version of Crysis dp you have? Get the latest patches. They may have the updates to utilize your HD 4870X2 better. But still, the HD 4870X2!!!!???? The best card as of now, 15 fps............that's bad.

PS. If you're a gamer, why get Vista Business?
October 29, 2008 6:15:52 PM

it's running at a 1280x768 resolution and yes, it has the 1.2 patch

it could be that both cpu's aren't running but i don't know how to enable/disable the second cpu, i just assumed that both were working. i'm a bit new to the whole, multi processor video so i don't know how all of it works. anyways, i'll try to find out how to do that real quick and see what happens.

to answer the question of why i have vista- because xp wouldn't install on it, it would get to a screen that said "setup is starting windows" and would freeze. i tried every kind of troubleshooting that i could but nothing would work, i seriously tried at least 15 different variations of hardware/software solutions and nothing worked. trust me, nobody hates vista as much as me, or at least no one i've ever met, but unfortunately i had to settle.
October 29, 2008 6:30:03 PM

i saw on one forum that in order to enable the second cpu you have to have the catalyst AI enabled, which it is. so yeah i don't know what the issue could be.

@rags_20
what is CF?
October 29, 2008 6:38:03 PM

oh wait, by CF do you mean crossfire? if so then why would i do that? wouldn't crossfire only be for two video cards,? or does that apply to single cards with two gpu's aswell? i've never heard of enabling crossfire on a single video card but as i said before, i'm new to the whole, dual-gpu idea

PS, sorry for triple posting, i wish this site had an edit button
October 29, 2008 7:09:53 PM

found the problem. i wanted to see if my second gpu was running, so i loaded up mass effect and put it in windowed mode and put CCC next to it. when i ran the game i saw that the first gpu was running around 80%. so there's nothing wrong with that one. then i switch over to the second gpu and what do i find? 0%, locked, doesn't ever budge. so it seems that my second gpu is either not functioning due to some unknown reason or it's just a faulty video card. any ideas on troubleshooting before i send it back to newegg?
October 29, 2008 7:53:13 PM

so how would it be possible to see if both cores are functional? i've never seen the second core go above 0%, but then again the only time i've ever seen the meter on CCC is when i'm not running an application so...

anyway i think i found out why crysis isn't running so well (still can't explain 3dmark06). from what i've heard crysis offloads a lot of stuff onto the processor and not quite so much with the video card, so when i found that out i thought to myself "well there's a really easy way to track cpu history", so i started task manager and ran crysis for about two minutes and quite out. it ran as usual, like hell. so when i looked at the task manager it showed that the cpu was working around 50% the whole time. 50%! there must be some reason why it's not using it's full power, when i ran 3dmark06 it showed that the cpu was running at around 95 to 100% at certain times so there isn't anything wrong with the processor (still got the same low score at the end though).

so in light of this new fact i think there is nothing wrong with any part of my hardware (unless my second cpu actually isn't working), so i think it must be the timings between all of the devices, maybe it's the fact that i have 8gb in it and something is off, i don't know. so what i'll do is take out 4gb of it and see if it runs any better. if you guys have any other ideas of why it's running slower i'm all ears.
October 29, 2008 8:38:22 PM

changed it to 4gb and it's running faster but only by about 500 points (3dmark06) so that helped but that wasn't the thing that was wrong. when i ran that test with the cpu before i did it in full screen. could there be something that is holding the cpu back?

and in response to what you said about the resolution, if i can't get this game to run over 20fps then if anything i need a lower resolution. besides, i got this computer for future games, not current. i don't want to make a new one for as long as possible so i figured that i would get top of the line parts even though i don't really need it right now.
October 29, 2008 9:22:00 PM

so... are you actually saying that if i turned my resolution up i would get better performance? that doesn't make any sense to me. anyways i ran crysis again and it ran a bit faster than before but not much
i was getting around 20fpswhich is better than 15 but still, i should be getting around 35.
i tried that thing where you make it windowed, the fps went from 20 to 10, so yeah, big performance loss there. i noticed that it goes into windowed every once in a while but all you have to do is press alt+enter and it goes into full.

while i was running crysis my cpu power ran around 40% and spiked for a second up to around 60%, but i think it should be going a lot faster than that. there must be something holding it back, i have no idea what it could be. i'll try upping the resolution, i'm running it on a 720p tv but it goes up to 1080i so i'll set it to that resolution and see if there is any difference.
October 29, 2008 9:49:34 PM

this is weird, crysis doesn't give me the option of going any higher than my current res. i tries going outside of it and setting my regular desktop at 1080p but when i went back into crysis it still wouldn't let me go any higher in resolution.
so anyways, i still don't know if my second gpu is working, it there some application out there to test for that sort of thing?
October 29, 2008 11:14:10 PM

i can't do any of that because i don't own a single game besides crysis that doesn't lock itself on 60fps. that's all my tv will allow so the actual framerate is way above that, it just won't display it. i tried doing call of duty 4 without AI, no difference, still locked at 60. i tried it windowed aswell, still locked at 60, however it took more processing to run it in full screen. that game got it to go up to about 55% on average, still not as much as i would like it to be. i also tried mass effect but again, everything was locked at 60 no matter what the configuration. for some reason crysis is only pushing 45% on the cpu and that's where i think the problem most likely is. i'm starting to doubt that the video card is the one with the problem. well, to try to troubleshoot is there a way to turn off certain cores of my cpu? or is that a dangerous path that i shouldn't take?

i know that a lot of you are saying, "well 60fps in every game but crysis is awesome so you should not worry about it", well random forum replyer in my head, i'm not worried about that, i'm worried that my hardware is not producing what it should which shows that something must be wrong with it.
just wanted to clarify that before anyone gets all pissy at me :ange: 
October 30, 2008 12:32:34 AM

strangestranger, can you do me a favore and run a benchmarking test on 3dmark06? we seem to have very similar machines so if we compare our results we can see what part of my computer is giving em the problems.
here are my scores.

CPU score: 4242
HDR/SM3.0 score- 8093 (i actually don't know what part of the computer this is)
SM2.0 score- 5870 (don't know what this part is either)
overall- 15912

also if someone can clarify what these two parts are, i know one is the video card and i'm assuming the other is RAM, but maybe not i don't know.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 30, 2008 1:05:28 AM

I'm guessing SM stands for Shader Model, so it's about the GPU.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 30, 2008 1:07:11 AM

mckinnley said:
i can't do any of that because i don't own a single game besides crysis that doesn't lock itself on 60fps. that's all my tv will allow so the actual framerate is way above that, it just won't display it. i tried doing call of duty 4 without AI, no difference, still locked at 60. i tried it windowed aswell, still locked at 60, however it took more processing to run it in full screen. that game got it to go up to about 55% on average, still not as much as i would like it to be. i also tried mass effect but again, everything was locked at 60 no matter what the configuration. for some reason crysis is only pushing 45% on the cpu and that's where i think the problem most likely is. i'm starting to doubt that the video card is the one with the problem. well, to try to troubleshoot is there a way to turn off certain cores of my cpu? or is that a dangerous path that i shouldn't take?

i know that a lot of you are saying, "well 60fps in every game but crysis is awesome so you should not worry about it", well random forum replyer in my head, i'm not worried about that, i'm worried that my hardware is not producing what it should which shows that something must be wrong with it.
just wanted to clarify that before anyone gets all pissy at me :ange: 

Vsync, maybe?
October 30, 2008 2:06:47 AM

at this point i just have to assume that some piece of my hardware is broken and as aevm said it's probably my video card. i have every part of my computer under warranty so that shouldn't be a problem. if there are any more suggestions as to what it could be or how to fix it i would be glad to listen but for now i'll assume i got a bad video card, i'll be calling newegg tomorrow evening for a replacement.
and no, it's not the vsync.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 8:24:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I think I will be very helpfull with my information although there will still be a problem but it can help you find out wich way to go: So I just go in the Ati Control Center and --->ati overdrive--->choose second GPU for HD 4870x2 and put frequency to the 2d frequancy's so 507 MHZ and 500 Clock and it solved the problem for every game and benchmarks really use your card like it's hd4870X2!!!! but still don't know the reason why? PSU 700w certified for hd4870x2 by AMD so don't know?

I hope I was very helpfull for people don't want to RMA their card,

Matthew
a c 274 U Graphics card
February 16, 2010 8:31:24 AM

!