2gb ram
250gb
geforce 8400

2-dell 1525
intel t5850
3gb ram
160gb
intel x3100

I these two are the same price but the hp has more features like svideo out, remote control, n wireless card but i don't think i really need it. Is intel x3100 a good video card? I don't play game so it's not a problem here. Could the video card run vista without problem and play video? I'm a mechanical engeenering student so I will use this laptop to run catia, matlab, labview. I think the dell is a better computer for me but i want to have some advice from you to be sure.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I'm guessing that you only have these two choices, otherwise you wouldn't be asking, right?

Go with the Dell. The x3100 actually performs better than the m8400. Also, Dell has better tech support and less dead-pixel issues with their screens.

In this case you're trying to pick between the lesser of two evils. And you're still ending up with something evil.

No, the x3100 is NOT better than an 8400!
It is a much slower solution.

It is a hard call between those laptops.
Assuming you are working with smaller parts, I think I am going to recommend the Dell for it's better CPU, more RAM and probable better battery life with it's intigrated graphics. Seeing as my first gen MacBook with it's GMA 950 can handle small models in Catia V5, I believe it should be just powerful enough to work with average parts.

If you are going to be working with assemblies or larger, more complex parts, the AMD based system's more powerful GPU will come into play and should give you a decent boost in performance.