Need a cheap motherboard

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hello, i just got my QX6700 replaced, and im still getting very high temps. The Intel support guy said that since it has been replaced, it can only be 2 things. Either its not fitted properly ( i refitted it 2 times), if its not that, its the power voltage regulator, or something thats defective. Now i need a new motherboard.

My old one is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, so i would prefer if it was a gigabyte. Are there any motherboards with the same specs as this one, thats cheap? Because i cant find any place to buy this motherboard.

Thanks.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
The temps im getting are 50-55 idle, then after a while 60+. Playing games, 70-75, then after a while 80+.

I installed the heat sink fan by following a guide made by intel i found on youtube, and did exactly what they said in the video.

Check for a bios update from gigabyte. I would also touch the heatsink while running. If you don't get burned, then you're ok. Many temp readings are inaccurate; your cpu won't get damaged running up to 70c. Intel cpus will throttle down automatically if the temp gets too high.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
By throttle down, you mean increase the fan speed right? Forgot to mention ive got the fan running 100% speed all the time. I was told it will auto shut down if it gets too hot, but come on, it cant be healthy for it to be running 70+ constantly in long play sessions.

What heat paste did you use and how much did you apply? A very very thin layer? Applying too much paste can cause that type of problem.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

First time i used the thermal paste already applied to the intel box heat sink fan, second time, a friend gave me something called arctic silver, and told me to put a very thin line, and spread it out with a credit card.

What temps and voltages are displayed in the BIOS (I don't always trust software to report temps)? What happens if the fan isn't running 100% all the time?

What's the core voltage and multiplier reported by CPU-Z at idle and on load?

What is the room temperature and is your case properly vented? What else is installed in that system?

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

Core voltage: 1.2

Mutiplier: switches between x 6 and x 10. When the core speed goes from 1.6 to 2.66, the mutipliers goes up awell.

Case is properly vented i think. My hand gets cold if i hold it over where there is some sort of big plastic pipe.

Room temp are about 18-20c

my spec is

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 kentsfield 2.66 ghz
Gigabyte 965p-ds3
Geforce 6600
3 gigabyte ddr2 dual chan ram

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

I checked the BIOS. CoreTemp appears to be correct. I was thinking of buying ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series.

Is that better or worse than Gigabyte 965p-DS3?

Is there anything else wrong with your system, besides high temps? A new motherboard won't change your temps. It would be cheaper to change your heatsink than the motherboard. Check newegg's open box section for one of the massive square heatsinks; any of them will give you lower temps than Intel's stock heatsink. Some go for around $25-30 shipped. You may have to remove the board to install them, but it's not that hard.

o1die is correct about touching the heatsink. If you can keep your fingers on it for several seconds, then it's fine. A different motherboard might report lower temps, but using a better cooler will be less expensive.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

The intel guy said that the voltage regulator, or whatever it is called has to be the problem then. He said that i have to replace the motherboard. I already tryed with 2 other coolers. Nothing seems to help. Ive tryed alot of things over the past month.

TRENDING THREADS