Sign in with
Your question

Fallout 3 Performance Thread!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2008 9:44:50 AM

Hello, I will be buying Fallout 3 at then end of the week when I get my paycheck, so I was wondering how it performed on the PC. I can not find a single forum or guide that talks about Fallout 3 performance, so I thought I would make one. Considering the Xbox 360 and especially the PS3 versions of the game are a bit buggy, how does the PC compare. Is it well optimized, or is it an another Crysis failure? Post up your scores (with SCREENSHOTS!). Thank you.
October 29, 2008 10:22:14 AM

fallout seems to be very well optimized. I'm running it 8x's AA maxed detail on my laptop. ofc I haven't gotten outside yet on my laptop. but in doors it gets 60 constant fps.

On my desktop its 60 no changing. :) 
October 29, 2008 10:27:05 AM

Game runs well, however their are countless crashing issues related to secureROM. I had to look at the offical forums and run the secureROM uninstaller to get my game to stop crashing on startup. Right now im having to run it on this temporary card, an 8500GT. At my native res of 1680 x 1050 combat was horrible, fps was in the low 20s-mid teens at medium settings. However at 1400 x 900 its fine.
Related resources
October 29, 2008 12:26:02 PM

9700M GTS runs it max with 8x's AA 1440x900
October 29, 2008 12:37:45 PM

L1qu1d said:
9700M GTS runs it max with 8x's AA 1440x900

Wow! Good to hear! I am running Far Cry 2 on all High settings right now (1650x1080) so I bet I will get decent fps as well in Fallout 3.

Now... how am I going to fit another game into my schedule....?
October 29, 2008 12:38:11 PM

spathotan said:
Game runs well, however their are countless crashing issues related to secureROM. I had to look at the offical forums and run the secureROM uninstaller to get my game to stop crashing on startup. Right now im having to run it on this temporary card, an 8500GT. At my native res of 1680 x 1050 combat was horrible, fps was in the low 20s-mid teens at medium settings. However at 1400 x 900 its fine.

? I thought the copy protection was only to be DVD in drive and a key... What's with the secRom issue?
I now only buy games without idiotic DRM, so I just passed on FarCry2 and Spore but I was about to buy Faallout3 because of the lack of DRM on it.

Please explain better.

Thanks,
October 29, 2008 12:51:07 PM

I just installed it last night and it auto confiqured my video setting so I don't know what they are at but it auto chose ultra high quality. It ran very well on an ati 4870 - amd x2 6400+ with 4gigs of memory (vista 32bit). I purchased it through steam and I didnt notice secure rom - I dont think this game has secrom on it. I only played about 45 minutes but so far this game is better than farcry 2 and crysis warhead in performance and in game story.

my game didnt crash once or have any errors of any kind.
October 29, 2008 1:18:55 PM

covertxt5 said:
I just installed it last night and it auto confiqured my video setting so I don't know what they are at but it auto chose ultra high quality. It ran very well on an ati 4870 - amd x2 6400+ with 4gigs of memory (vista 32bit). I purchased it through steam and I didnt notice secure rom - I dont think this game has secrom on it. I only played about 45 minutes but so far this game is better than farcry 2 and crysis warhead in performance and in game story.

my game didnt crash once or have any errors of any kind.

The game def has SecureRom on it. Kaspersky was blocking it until I added into the "trusted zone." :fou:  My specs are in my sig and I ran it on "high" settings @1280x1024 and had smooth playable framerates. I have never played Oblivion so the graphics were pretty amazing to me. So far it is a good and addicting game.
October 29, 2008 3:50:19 PM

Steam finished installing it last night, but I haven't played past the intro I checked out this morning (didn't even create my character yet). I'll get back to you after work today. It also set all my settings to "ultra high" by default, but I had to set my rez at 1920x1080 instead of 1360x768.
October 29, 2008 4:04:51 PM

If the North American retail version has securom then that's new to me (but entirely possible), I think that the Russian version had Starforce, and the Steam version doesn't have any third party DRM.
October 29, 2008 4:07:27 PM

emp said:
If the North American retail version has securom then that's new to me (but entirely possible), I think that the Russian version had Starforce, and the Steam version doesn't have any third party DRM.

I installed it from a retail cd; not from steam. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.
October 29, 2008 4:22:52 PM

i installed it on both my home and laptop with no issue, I just got a no cd crack because I was getting fed up with putting in the cd from Desktop to laptop. The bobble head is pretty cool!!!
October 29, 2008 4:30:36 PM

Had no issues on my install in any way. I have it maxed out on 1680x1050 runs smooth. I do not have AA and AF cranked at all, have not really messed with it. Game is very much more stable than Oblivion. I played Oblivion for a few weeks leading up to Fallout 3, for the controls, and while Oblivion ran good, no where near how smooth Fallout 3 is.
October 29, 2008 4:44:56 PM

I think fallout 3 is alot more beautiful game than FC2 now that I look at it. They paid so much attention to detail in the game. The character models look better too. I think the only thing that attracts me to far cry 2 other than the fun factor is the moods, and settings, the transitions from day to night. With this game, its soo perfect. LOL Blazing 8x's AA on my desktop that game is a Nuked wonderland:) 
October 29, 2008 5:06:17 PM

Just download the crack that pirates use if you don't like DRM. Problem solved. :p 
October 29, 2008 5:27:04 PM

Saddly I have to play fallout on my xbox 360 but it plays good. the game plays JUST LIKE Oblivion The same. Its great. I would have gotten it for my pc but i just got dead space so thats my game for now. I got a game pass for xbox 360 so I got fallout 3. Watch out for Rad Sickness... :D  :D  :D 

Good luck its so much fun.
October 29, 2008 6:38:07 PM

Wow, looks better than Far Cry 2? I think Far Cry 2 looks about as good, maybe even better, than Crysis since Crysis just had too much going on. Sounds great though.
October 29, 2008 7:58:14 PM

@falcon

The game dosent have DRM. I said SecurROM protected, not DRM protected. There is a difference. SecureROM is a "copy protect" software. DRM is Digital rights management, which limits the times you can install the game.

Just go to the offical forums, pc tech section. The multitude of threads speak for themselves.
October 29, 2008 8:52:10 PM

Whippee! I'm downloading FO3 (from Steam :) ) right now. It's a console port so I fully expect it to run at whatever resolution I want with whatever level of AA and AF I want. I have a GTX260 :bounce: 
October 29, 2008 9:42:30 PM

spathotan said:
@falcon

The game dosent have DRM. I said SecurROM protected, not DRM protected. There is a difference. SecureROM is a "copy protect" software. DRM is Digital rights management, which limits the times you can install the game.

Just go to the offical forums, pc tech section. The multitude of threads speak for themselves.

Still, I apply crack to all my games just so I don't have put in the DVD every time. Can't be bothered to do it, too lazy. :na: 
October 30, 2008 12:40:19 PM

dagger said:
Still, I apply crack to all my games just so I don't have put in the DVD every time. Can't be bothered to do it, too lazy. :na: 

One of the main reasons I go with Steam.

Does anyone know how to enable vsync and not get horrible game destroying mouse lag?
October 30, 2008 1:06:31 PM

homerdog said:
One of the main reasons I go with Steam.

Does anyone know how to enable vsync and not get horrible game destroying mouse lag?

Lol, happens with Deadspace too. What's with games and vsync lately? Although Fallout 3 doesn't have much screen tearing problem to begin with, so might as well leave it off. Anyway, if you go into driver and decrease the max amount of pre-rendered frames, it helps.
October 30, 2008 3:21:11 PM

V-sync doesn't help much on my main computer, since I have constant 60 fps, but on my laptop it helps, especially with the dip in the 26s from 38-39 fps.

October 30, 2008 4:40:27 PM

Yeah from my understanding of the game (after much time on the forums) the retail box version has SecuRom just for DVD checking and the Steam version doesn't have SecuRom.

My game plays flawlessly on auto detected Ultra High Graphic Setting.

A lot of fun so far but I only just made it out of the vault so I haven't seen too much of it.

On the PC version, at least from the forums, it looks like a fair number of people have game crashing bugs. I had mine crash once when exiting the vault. I haven't played it much more yet to know if it will be an ongoing issue.

My system specs are...

DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R
3.16 core 2 Wolfdale
Asus 4850
4 gigs pc 800 DDR2
WINXP SP3
I am not overclocking yet.
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 30, 2008 7:48:47 PM

Performs pretty well on my PC (see sig).

- 1920 x 1200
- Medium Quality (and some graphic tweaks [upped a few settings])
- AA x 2
October 30, 2008 11:52:47 PM

Jag you need a graphics upgrade mate, that system kicks way too much ass for that X1900XT. Anyway, its nice to see it still keeping up with newer games.
October 31, 2008 12:35:47 AM

Damn makes me want to buy the game now....
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 31, 2008 2:22:12 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Jag you need a graphics upgrade mate, that system kicks way too much ass for that X1900XT. Anyway, its nice to see it still keeping up with newer games.

I don't play that many games. I mainly use my PC for video encoding.

Games I played this year are:

1. Galactic Civilzation II (high end card not really necessary)
2. Silent Hunter 4 - Wolves of the Pacific (not very demanding)
3. Crysis (good enough performance, except final battle)
4. Fallout 3 (plays fine even after bumping up some gfx option since my last post)

I'll probably buy a new GPU next year (wait for next gen) 'cause I'm gonna make one final expensive purchase this year, the Samsung 46" LN46A950 HDTV.

February 18, 2009 7:29:30 AM

I have 2 HD4850 cards running in CrossFireX and the game is set at highest quality, 4xAA and only 1280x1024 resolution. Sometimes it's running well, but sometimes it's unplayable (not matter if I'm indoors our outside in the wastes). It's the same as it was with one HD4850 card, but now I've also got some weird artifacts (mostly in the pause menu). Do you think the second card could be faulty?
!