Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Erm yeh to expand on the title a little bit.

Say I wanted to use a 4850X2 ( :

Could I still use say a separate 9600gt card for physx?

Thanks.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Many people have gotten it to run without the ATI/Nvidia bloatware conflicting. There is nothing preventing it otherwise. Although I wouldn't think it's worth the effort.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Yes. There is a small gorup of people working on the cuda package for ATi cards, but they said they wont work on the 48XX series until ATi provides them samples.

So, yes, ATi cards can run Physx without a problem.

My question is how much longer until drivers have the Havok physics with the drivers for ATi.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

I think pretty much only for benmarking software. 3D mark may not make games or any truely usefull aplications, but they do support PhysX with the new Vantag and 06. :heink:

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
3Dmark is not really a reliable benchmark for Gaming performance anymore, but a handy benchmark to check that a machine is performing in line with other machines of similar spec.
I can see 3Dmark becoming totally irrelevant, as futuremark have decided to charge for Vantage :pfff:

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That just about sums it up. All the major titles with impressive physics effects such as Crysis use generic physics engine developed in house. Not really Havoc, but generic physics engines that runs only off cpu, and do not make use of gpu, Nvidia or ATI.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Havoc is made by Intel. Not only games use this engine as the de-facto physics engine, but also Hollywood or anyone else who wants to use realistic physics in their presentation (of any sort).

Yes the funny thing about that is that, while GRAW is a poster child for PhysX, Havoc was the underlying engine for the game physics (not the visual physics) and for UT3 it's Epic own physics engine.

Both Havoc and PhysX are good, just nothing from either has really been too exciting really. It's like arguing who has the bigger pile of dung, sure one may have better numbers, but it's still Cr@p !

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

So then, where do you think physics engines will fit into to game devolpement in the future? If we can all see that PhysX (propriatary hardware based) isn't taking off, do you think it will be a software (thus CPU driven) item in the future?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I don't really care if there is a standard or if different deveolpers make their own. I just don't want to have to buy a speciallized piece of hardware for some games, but not most. If they want to standardize it to work with all modern gaming-level GPU's then that is fine.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Well because 1. Cards that can be used for physx are cheap as chips 2. It dsnt matter coz I got a spare one here aniway :p and 3. It helps ni other things aside from gaming : )