Update BIOS, load optimized settings - CAN'T BOOT RAID

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
PLEASE HELP...

I just changed out my processor (E6750 to Q9550), and the BIOS was not recognizing the processor correct. I called Gigabyte (Mobo: GA-P35-DS3R) and they said I needed to flash the BIOS. So, I made a backup of my BIOS, and then flashed to the appropriate version. I booted up and everything was just fine. Windows recognized the info correctly...however, CPUID said it was only running @ 2.66GHz instead of 2.83.

I rebooted and sure enough BIOS said 2.66GHz, so I called Gigabyte back again. They said to:

(1) Load Default Settings
(2) Load Optimized Settings
(3) Reboot

I did so, and on reboot, the BIOS recognized the CPU correctly. HOWEVER, my PC will NO LONGER BOOT.

I'm running Level 0 + Level 1 (striped plus mirror)

At the status, the first partition (striped) says status FAILED, and the second partition (Mirrored) says "DEGRADED".

What can I do? I don't know how to fix this and I absolutely cannot lose the information on my mirrored drives. I wouldn't mind reinstalling windows, but I don't want to take a chance at messing up the second partition.

Is there any way to recover from where I'm at? I tried flashing back to the backed up BIOS, but that didn't work. It still doesn't boot.

HELP!

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I suppose default mode sets the SATA MODE to IDE, change it to AHCI. If not you can boot from one off the mirror drives in IDE or AHCI

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
BTW, I'm using Intel Matrix Storage Manager for the RAID.

Yeah, I set SATA MODE to RAID and it does what I mentioned above. Right after the post, it starts the SATA AHCI BIOS (Intel Matrix software), and then it shows the status of the drives as failed and degraded.

I tried setting the SATA MODE to AHCI and when I rebooted, it skipped the Intel Software BIOS stuff and then said "Disk Read Error". When I set the mode back to RAID, I got the SATA AHCI BIOS loading again.

At the status screen, I hit Ctrl-I to enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Utility. It gives the following 4 options:
1. Create RAID Volume
2. Delete RAID Volume
3. Reset Disks to Non-RAID
4. Exit

Under Disk/Volume Information, it shows this:

RAID Volumes:

ID -- Name ----- Level ------------ Stripe --- Size -------- Status -------- Bootable
0 --- OSDrive -- RAID0(Stripe) -- 128KB -- 300.0GB --- Failed --------- No
1 --- Storage -- RAID1(Mirror) --- N/A ----- 548.6GB --- Degraded ---- Yes

Physical Disks:

Port -- Drive Model ------ Serial # -- Size --------- Type/Status(Vol ID)
0 ----- <Model #> ------- <serial> -- 698.7GB --- Non-RAID Disk
1 ----- <Same Model> -- <serial> -- 698.7GB --- Member Disk(0,1)

Also, as you can probably tell by my volume names, I set this up in a RAID0+1 setup. The first partition was my OS install, and the second partition was my storage drive (all the info I really care about saving). I reimage a lot, and I wanted to keep my valuable information separated (and backed up) from the OS partition.

Any advice?

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Hum doesnt look good at all, specially being a Raid 0+1 and not 1+0. Also all of your drives should be the same be the same model and capacity, looks like you mixed raid 0 or 1 with JBOD