To return bayed computer, or not to return

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I kno almost nothing about building a computer, so I decided to go pre-built i.e more expensive, my problem is I don't know much about desktop technology, but can pretty much pick out the best gaming laptop from the crowd. 30% live cash-back today on buy it now's on ebay, so decided to buy a desktop rig. Wondering If there's a better one to be had right now first off, second off is this a good deal / worth keeping?
guy says everything is new w/ manufacturers warranty ect.

This is the ebay auction link, hope your allowed to post outside links :??:
"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140271605167"

500 W PS
Core 2 Duo E8400
ASUS P45Q motherboard
Cooler Master cpu cooler
Raidmax KATANA Case
2 gb OCZ Reaper 1200 ddr2
ati radeon 4850 512
320 gb 7200 sata

price is $530 after cashback.

Well, I would say it looks fine but it seems kinda silly to have 2GB of 1200DDR2 rather than 4GB of some decent DDR2 800 memory, but I guess customers may just think that faster RAM speed will make it a faster computer. I'm gonna have to add another two sticks soon myself ^_^. The only thing that may be questionable is the power supply. Since he's not saying what he's using it probably comes with the case. In that case I wouldn't put in a second 4850 for crossfire unless the PSU was upgraded. Since you already bought it you should just take it.

I take it you bought this already since it has ended. The hardware isnt bad for the price. The two main things I can see wrong with this setup is:

1. It probably has a cheapo Raidmax power supply (this is the worst of the 2)
2. They installed XP and really shouldve installed Vista with that grade of hardware.

XP is good but is only direct X9 and your video card is direct X10.1. It will run fine with XP but would be a little nicer with Visa. Preferrably Vista 64 to utilize more memory and you could upgrade and add 2 more gigs of memory.

Otherwise, I would say keep it and change out the power supply with a better one. Corsair is a great pick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Later you can buy Vista 64 and have it installed as a dual boot so you will have the best of both worlds and you can run programs that are only compatable with XP as well as Vista...

Well can't see the link. No name brand on the power supply. Seems to have what you need for a decent to good gaming rig at a good price. I'm not a fan of ebay. Is there any warranty with it ? Be tough to build that rig at that price. Good luck and hope if you get it that it works out for you.

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
well I have a new post now, forgot I posted this last night (bangs head on table), really if you guys say keep it, ill keep it and change out the PS, I wasn't really asking if it was a best buy I couldn't hope for that, but if you guys say keep it I'm assuming its gotta be descent even though the PS prolly sucks and I much appreciate the replies! I could just throw it in a box and return it and pay shipping but definitely get the 730$ back. Your replies do give me a little peace of mind on my purchase even though you builders pwn me in tech and price spent. For those that couldn't see the auction I'll try to post the link again even those it crumbles up on the page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140271605167

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Just stick with your current purchase and get a good corsair or pc power and cooling power supply and be very happy.

You will have a good enough system that if you want to buy Vista later you can install it and do a dual boot so you can play direct x 10 games @ direct x 10 mode. And when and if you upgrade to vista get 2 more gigs of ram as suggested before.

You have a very good processor and an overall decent setup minus the power supply but you can easily take care of that.

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
thanks for the help guys, I have yet to be billed for this, so maybe it won't go through, in which case I will save my money and read up on how to build my own cpu, in either case I'll be happy.

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
New question, I've been billed for it via my credit card, and will have to wait 50 days or so for my 200 bucks back, but the guy has offered to install 64 bit vista for me, and give me 4 gigs of 400 mhz memory instead. Should I ask what kind of memory it is? Also he has a suggestion and I quote,

"It is no problem at all. I have some computer cases with MB already installed so I just add the rest of the components. I could do vista with the 4gb of crucial 800mhz and since you are not using the ddr1200, maybe you should get the ASROCK motherboard that takes ddr2 and ddr3 memory. I have some in stock and will allow you to upgrade in the future to ddr3. It costs me the same and I sell a lot of these. Also, ASUS owns and makes the MB for ASROCK so it is the same quality and comes with a great Over clocking utility for speeding up your memory and cpu. "

Should I take the p5q or the offered ASROCK? Should I ask him for a model number? I'm so confused lol, thanks for any input!

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
meant dd2 800mhz btw not 400, and I asked him for maker/model on ram, and model on the different mobo. He misreported having 2 x 2.0 pci-express slots on the p5q, which I haven't really let him know yet, so I'm wondering if he is being nice, or something else. Didn't even know there was ddr3 memory lol.

blikbladae

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
So apparently it was the Asus P45QL but 'worthless for xfire' in the sellers eyes because it will only operate at 8x speed, not 16x speed. The ASROCK mobo he is offering that will recognize the new dd3 ram (though only at max 1066 mhz i believe) is the P43 1600 Turbotwins ASROCK motherboard, which only has one new pci-e slot. What do you all think. The ram is crucial 800mhz

He's probably just getting frustrated with you, I probably would :lol: . Two 8x PCI-E 2.0 slots are plenty of bandwidth for crossfire with two 4850s. It's true that there will be a small performance decrease compared to an X48/X38 board in cross firing two Radeon 4850's, but not enough to justify the cost difference. Keep the Asus board and the DDR2 RAM. Get a better Power Supply and you can add another Radeon 4850 down the line when you want to play games that demand that power.