Dell program safe OC slow GPU/memtest clockgen

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I am aware Dells are terrible and have locked BIOS. This was a free work computer.

In order to OC the cpu you need clockgen or CPUFSB. But these also increase the PCIe and memory speeds.

So theoretically if you increase the FSB by 10% and retard the GPU and memory speed by 10%; The net gain is a faster CPU speed with the same GPU and memory speeds?

Is my thinking correct or ignorant? Thank you.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

comp.jpg

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
yea no problem mate, every single available screen or certain options in particular? Also i think with memset it is not possible to reduce the cas latency, is this an issue?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
That's why i was suggesting using programs to overclock as the Dell mobos have locked BIOS. I thought programs such as clockgen allowed you to bypass motherboard BIOS locks?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
That's ok hundred. The problem is that as it's a dell motherboard the OS is locked to its BIOS.

So the only opton is using overclocking software which only lets you alter the FSB. The implications of doing so increase RAM speed and the PCIe past 100MHz.

So i'm thinking if i reduce GPU clock speeds and am able to underclock the RAM in proportion to the FSB increase the RAM and PCIe will remain the same but the CPU will be overclocked.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this logic is in fact correct, and that there actually is software out there to underclock the RAM (memset?).

Thanks for replying to my post hundred.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
You may want to review your overclocking goals since your motherboard was designed to "fight" overclocking. What you're trying to do with software overclocking will either give you about 1 percent performance gain or 50 percent stability issues.