Sign in with
Your question

Dell program safe OC slow GPU/memtest clockgen

Last response: in Overclocking
January 14, 2010 5:01:02 PM

I am aware Dells are terrible and have locked BIOS. This was a free work computer.

In order to OC the cpu you need clockgen or CPUFSB. But these also increase the PCIe and memory speeds.

So theoretically if you increase the FSB by 10% and retard the GPU and memory speed by 10%; The net gain is a faster CPU speed with the same GPU and memory speeds?

Is my thinking correct or ignorant? Thank you.
January 14, 2010 5:42:58 PM

mc_conor said:
I am aware Dells are terrible and have locked BIOS. This was a free work computer.

In order to OC the cpu you need clockgen or CPUFSB. But these also increase the PCIe and memory speeds.

So theoretically if you increase the FSB by 10% and retard the GPU and memory speed by 10%; The net gain is a faster CPU speed with the same GPU and memory speeds?

Is my thinking correct or ignorant? Thank you.

January 15, 2010 9:56:04 PM

can memset be used to reduce memory speeds?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2010 8:30:12 AM

Can you post a screenshot of your BIOS?
January 16, 2010 4:21:14 PM

yea no problem mate, every single available screen or certain options in particular? Also i think with memset it is not possible to reduce the cas latency, is this an issue?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2010 7:31:34 PM

If your BIOS are locked, I'm not sure how you can overclock to begin with?
January 17, 2010 5:06:41 AM

That's why i was suggesting using programs to overclock as the Dell mobos have locked BIOS. I thought programs such as clockgen allowed you to bypass motherboard BIOS locks?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2010 6:10:45 AM

Sorry. I've never used software to overclock. You can always keep your old parts but change your motherboard if you want to overclock.
January 17, 2010 9:02:37 AM

That's ok hundred. The problem is that as it's a dell motherboard the OS is locked to its BIOS.

So the only opton is using overclocking software which only lets you alter the FSB. The implications of doing so increase RAM speed and the PCIe past 100MHz.

So i'm thinking if i reduce GPU clock speeds and am able to underclock the RAM in proportion to the FSB increase the RAM and PCIe will remain the same but the CPU will be overclocked.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this logic is in fact correct, and that there actually is software out there to underclock the RAM (memset?).

Thanks for replying to my post hundred.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2010 10:02:51 AM

You may want to review your overclocking goals since your motherboard was designed to "fight" overclocking. What you're trying to do with software overclocking will either give you about 1 percent performance gain or 50 percent stability issues.

!