diskpack

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I’m having the weirdness problem with a Seagate 80gb hard drive. The drive will not boot no matter what. I have tried the following:

Virus Check, format, delete partition, reinstall OS, tested with Seagate tools ( SeaTool, DiscWizard).
All of this more than once without any problems.

The drive is accessible (read & write), shows up in BIOS. Drive set to boot in BIOS. Even manually trying to boot during boot process, will not boot.

Tried installing Windows 7 x64 as well as Ubuntu 9.10 thinking it would take care of any MBR issues, but would not boot.

Error message “Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter” for windows

Tried Bootrec to try to fix MBR but no luck. I’m thinking it’s got to be something with MBR but not sure what more to do. Any assistance would be greatly help full.

System configurations MB – Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L, OS – Windows 7 x64, HD – Seagate 80 GB (St360015a) connected as Master on IDE connector

Thanks,
Diskpack

shagrathdex666

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
perhaps its time to change your hd,how many years do you have it working,better often old hd's tend to get stuck by the needle on the disk internally.
apevia iceberg 680 watts/lite on dvd r/lite on cd r.

diskpack

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Os installed thru USB flash drive and drive is set in the boot priority. At the moment this is the only drive connected so that no others issues arise. Additionally, come to find out the drive works because I pluged it onto another machine loaded OS and no problem booting. Now it may lead to something with the MB. Any inputs would be helpfule

Thanks,
Diskpack

q3095

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Did you manage to resolve this problem?

I also have the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L mobo and am experiencing the same problem with my IDE hard drive. I also figured it was an MBR problem, but despite repair attempts failed. I tried wiping the disk and installing ubuntu (the machine boots from USB fine) but the problem remains.

I came across an individual experiencing the same issue on a yahoo help forum, and it would seem that he fixed the problem by removing the mobo from the case... I haven't tried this yet, as it hardly seems like a viable long-term fix, but I'm yet to see any alternatives.

Could this be an idiosyncrasy of the mobo with certain IDE drives?

TRENDING THREADS