Sign in with
Your question

New build wont Start after CMOS wipe!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2009 6:18:14 AM

MY computer will NOT turn on after a simple CMOS wipe. I turned off my power supply, then unplugged it. I then moved the CMOS jumper to the reset position and let it sit there for 30 seconds. I then put it back in the correct position. (i did some other things previous to this like uninstall my video card drivers and take out and put back in my gfx card, not sure if this info matters).

When everything was back in place i turned back on the power supply and my fans gave a faint whir for a split second as power rushed back to the system. I then hit my power switch. Imagine my surprise when NOTHING happened. Tried several more times, nothing. I wondered if maybe it was my case so i manually started up my computer by putting a screw driver between the ground and power throng on the mobo. The system gained power but did not display anything on the monitor. My GPU displayed 3 solid red leds next to each other. Two of them mean the gfx card is not receiving power and i forgot what the third meant. Even off the mobo light is lit. Also the whole system powers up when i jump the power. Case fans, gfx card fan, the works. This is why i do not think it is a power supply problem.(cant be sure)

I then proceeded to leave the CMOS battery out of my mobo and the Jumper in the reset position for over an hour. Now my system will not even power using the jump method.

It is not the graphics card as my GPU runs fine in my friends computer and his does not run in mine.

One note i read that sometimes the motherboard manufacture their manuals wrong so i tried the jumper in the other position(the supposed reset position) even though i did not think this was the problem. When i flip the power switch the system boots like it did when i jumped the power with a screw driver(with out having to jump it though, it litterly starts when i flip the power switch on the power supply on) but still doesn't display.

System specs:

-Saphire Hd4870
-crossair 750w
-4x 2gig gskill ddr2 900
-Asus PQ5 pro mobo
-E8400
-xigmatek 3rd party cooler
-CoolerMaster HAF case

I need help!
January 29, 2009 9:22:05 AM

RadioFlyerr said:
... My GPU displayed 3 solid red leds next to each other. Two of them mean the gfx card is not receiving power a...

As I replied in your other thread on this subject, LEDs indicating a power problem would seem to cast suspicion on the power supply.

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2009 11:38:32 AM

I would reseat all cards and cables going from the power supply to the board and drives. Might just be a loose cable or loose card.
Related resources
January 29, 2009 7:44:11 PM

Well i've already tried reseating all the cards and cable's and nothing happened. Only thing i didn't try is the processor but i really doubt its that.

I just bench tested my basic components outside the case. Motherboard, CPU, cpu cooler, GPU, RAM, power supply.

Got the same result where things seemed to power up as far as the fans, but the graphics card showed three red lights. These lights where- - - -

D1601 - Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault

D1602 - Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed

D1603 - Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed

Google search shows that people who get these three red leds all have a power related problem.

I don't understand how my power supply failed, and am surprised that it would fail like this.

Well i think i'm going to try and find a power supply tester at radio shack so i can make sure this is the problem and RMA for a return(built this about two weeks ago).

What do you guys think?
January 29, 2009 11:15:07 PM

does your GFX card require a PCIe power cable?
January 29, 2009 11:40:52 PM

shabaa said:
does your GFX card require a PCIe power cable?

Two, and i have two plugged in. I had this build working flawlessly up till yesterday.(about two weeks)
January 30, 2009 9:51:55 PM

Quote:
When everything was back in place i turned back on the power supply and my fans gave a faint whir for a split second as power rushed back to the system.

Just note that this is NOT normal behavior. No fans should be turning on until you actually turn on the power switch on the PC. Just turning on the power switch on the power supply should not do anything visible/audible, except perhaps for turning on one or two LEDs on the MB that indicate "standby +12V" is on. This supports the idea that there is something wrong with your PS.

January 31, 2009 12:08:04 AM

Great advice Mondoman. I went to a local PC shop to test my system out on one of their power supplys, but unfortunately their power supply's only have 1 pci-e 6 pin plug.

I think i will RMA my power supply back since it seems it is indeed my power supply.
!