• CPUs
  • Platinum
  • MSI
  • Phenom
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
January 14, 2010 9:50:04 PM

Hello there, community! Hope someone can help me with some of the details on this...

Running MSI K9A2 platinum v1 and Phenom II 965.
I raised the Multiplier to 19 for an overclock of 3.8 GHz from the stock 3.4.
I'm still on DDR2 800 running at 1066 by changing it's ratio to 1:2.66 from the auto setting of 1:2, and raising the voltage from whatever the auto setting is to 2.05V.
What I'm wondering is this:

If I raise the clock multiplier any further, it becomes unstable, and this setting is all I've changed for the CPU. It never gets over 35*C, and I'm sure I can get more out of it. By changing the multiplier, what does that actually change? Also, if I try to raise the frequency past 200, also the same instability (I think the RAM doesn't like it, as it raises it's frequency with it). Even when I run the RAM at the stock voltage and speed, the CPU doesn't seem to like raising the FSB freq past 205, or so. What can I do to still get great clocks out of it, and how can I make it get faster? I've put the Transformer 4 on it to keep it cool, and it seems to love it! I know I can get more out of it, though. Way more. Ideas?
Thanks.

More about : amd phenom 965 msi k9a2 platinum

January 14, 2010 10:12:30 PM

Try raising the voltage on the CPU. Im not sure about the 965 but my 955 is stock at 1.35 voltage, don't go above 1.5 that is the red line, make small increments. The multiplier X FSB ratio clock = CPU speed. In your case 19 x 200 = 3800. Try to maybe raise the ratio clock to 220 and drop the multiplier a bit. A raise in voltage to maybe 1.37-8. Might make it stable.
m
l
January 14, 2010 11:01:05 PM

Thank you for your prompt response! Yeah, I gave that a whirly-doo and I think the RAM doesn't like to go faster than the 1066 I'm already pushing it to. I've tried it at the stock 800 MHz and raise the cpu clock to even as low as 205 or 206, and it still doesn't like it. I'll try the voltage change and see what I get...
I dunno if I'm the only one searching for this same magical combination or not, so I'll try to post all my findings.
Thanks again!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 12:51:53 AM

What ram are you using? Link?
m
l
January 15, 2010 3:36:47 PM

Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz, 8GB (4x2GB). Here you go > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's running at 900 MHz right now @ 2.05 V. I had the CPU multiplier at 19 and the RAM ratio at 1:2.66, offering up 1066 MHz RAM, and it was stable this way, but I really want to run the core speed faster, so I changed it back to auto, yielding 1:2, apparently.

Ok, after a few tweaks and voltage changes, I'm @ 4.05GHz. 18 multi x 225 MHz FSB clock. Ram is overvolted, as well as FSB @ 1.300V and HT @ 1.325V. Gonna run Hyper Pi just for a stability test. The CPU never got to 40* after my last few combinations, so I over volted to the recommended max. Wish me luck...
m
l
January 15, 2010 3:51:34 PM

K, I did overvolt the CPU all the way to 1.517, and this is the last setting before the "red numbers" on the overvold dropdown list. Ran Hyper-pi 2M digits in 49.109s. I know the intel folks can probably do this way faster, but I don't even know ow good that really is. So far, looking good. Gonna try a heavy 3D benchmark now, and see how it goes.
m
l
January 15, 2010 4:57:16 PM

Sorry to hear about that! That sux. It's been working for me for 2 years, now! I've been running it at 1066 MHz and 2.05 V for a year, at least.
It's probably case by case, and who knows: Maybe the batch you got were made by some alcoholic on a friday, like the last ones off the belt at the end of the day, or something. I've had great performance with mine at least!

Gonna keep pushing this thing. I know that people are saying not to exceed 1.5V, in fact like this "DOO NOOOOTTT EXCEEED 1.5 VOOOLLLTSSS!!" as a big booming, echo-ey voice from the heavens warning you...
But my question is this: (and I'm sure noone will recommend I do it) I'm still not even breaking a sweat over here! It never gets over 36*, even heavily loaded! It's as though it's begging me to give it more, laughing (even scoffing) at me! I think it will stay cool, pretty sure, in fact. But I don't want to cook it, of course, or set the MoBo on fire, or something...

Any suggestions?
Warnings?
Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 5:09:50 PM

Leave your ram at 800Mhz, do not raise the frequency to 1066Mhz because you will not achieve anything. If you decide to overclock the ram make sure you do it by raising the bus. This in turn will raise the CPU clock as well. Make sure you run them at 4-4-4-12 (2.0v) 800Mhz .

m
l
January 15, 2010 5:17:43 PM

Yeah, I turned it back down to 1:2, so it goes to 800 @ stock bus speed. I'm raising the CPU in steps, and am right now @ 228, which puts the ram @ 456, and DDR2 rate of 912 MHz. I had it at 1066 when the cpu was stock, but now I'm fiddling with the core speed, so whatever the RAM goes to to match is what it is.
Any ideas on exceeding the max recommended voltage? I'm gonna try it, if the consequences aren't too high. Temps are still really low, and I think I can give it more, but I don't want to burn the thing. I just want to get a max stable overclock with medium temps. So far, I'm not even warm yet, really. Not hit 40*...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 5:33:17 PM

Well keep on playing with your CPU/NB and SB voltages to get a stable system, leave your ram alone for now. The higher the FSB the more likely your system will crash. My last comp had 2 sticks of G.Skill 800Mhz and the best overclock I got was 940Mhz at 1.9v. Anything over that would make the system unstable....
m
l
January 15, 2010 6:12:54 PM

Ok, so after some testing, my CPU doesn't like to go past 228 MHz, even at max recommended voltage in BIOS of 1.6. I was mistaken, BIOS says that 1.6 is the safe limit. I will NOT exced that.
So, I'm gonna run Hyper Pi for the max it'll count, and I'll give y'all what I got so far. It seems to be very stable (no crashes yet) I was using it while typing this post, and it counted 4M digits 22 times in 1m 55.065s, avg! (all 4 cores)

PnP/PCI latency is 128 clock cycles. Don't know why I put that in there, I just wanted to give the VC a little while longer on the bus.

All the options I changed are in the AMI BIOS cell menu, and are as follows:

AMD TLB Bugfix : Enabled
All D.O.T. steps disabled
Cool 'n' Quiet: disabled
CPU FSB Freq: 225 MHz
H/T ratio: Auto
CPU ratio:18x225 = 4.050 GHz (on air!!)
D-RAM configs: auto, can assume that at 1:2 it's still @ 4-4-4-12, but unsure.
FSB/Memory Ratio: auto = 1:2 = 900 MHz
Auto Disable Dimm/PCI freq: Enabled - apparently, this helped a bunch. Amazing what I learned by just reading the dang book.
CPU Voltage: 1.600 - max "safe" setting in BIOS
MEM voltage: 2.10 - also max "safe" in BIOS
North Bridge V: 1.300 - max "safe"
H/T Voltage: 1.350 - max "safe"

I'm sure someone else in here would say (in MUCH better detail) that if you have this combo, don't just put in these numbers and hope for the best. If you're going to OC, take small steps, 1 notch at a time. This is what I got, and hope someone can go even faster, with good stability. I'll try to ramp it up a LITTLE more, but I'm willing to bet that this is as big as it will get. I will continue testing, and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help all!
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:38:23 PM

Ok, now I'm doing another performance thing to the RAM. I'm changing my timings. Being that I haven't messed with this stuff too much, I figured I'd take it easy on it. I changed the 4 major settings back to 4-4-4-12 from the relaxed 5-5-5-18 that this overclocking deal did to it.

My questions for you all are these:
If I'm running 4-4-4-12 on CL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS, can I change also the bank cycle time a little lower? Maybe 18? It seems like the others were 5+5+5+1/2 cycle time, and I was wondering if that is just a coincidence, or a pattern/formula, or something...

I'm not very familiar with this kind of thing, and I don't even know if this setting is really all that critical, or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 8:41:53 PM

Open up CPU-Z and check your SPD tab =)
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:44:01 PM

So I got that up there, and I'm not really sure what that thingy is tellin me?...
Is that a guidelne for what I can do with it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 15, 2010 8:59:16 PM

Simfly_Trapper said:
So I got that up there, and I'm not really sure what that thingy is tellin me?...
Is that a guidelne for what I can do with it?

Here is an example :

im about to leave work, once i get home I will explain this to you...
m
l
January 15, 2010 9:50:19 PM

Thank you! Just trying to really push this thing, and I appreciate your help!
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:45:14 PM

Simfly_Trapper said:
Ok, so after some testing, my CPU doesn't like to go past 228 MHz, even at max recommended voltage in BIOS of 1.6. I was mistaken, BIOS says that 1.6 is the safe limit. I will NOT exced that.
So, I'm gonna run Hyper Pi for the max it'll count, and I'll give y'all what I got so far. It seems to be very stable (no crashes yet) I was using it while typing this post, and it counted 4M digits 22 times in 1m 55.065s, avg! (all 4 cores)

PnP/PCI latency is 128 clock cycles. Don't know why I put that in there, I just wanted to give the VC a little while longer on the bus.

All the options I changed are in the AMI BIOS cell menu, and are as follows:

AMD TLB Bugfix : Enabled
All D.O.T. steps disabled
Cool 'n' Quiet: disabled
CPU FSB Freq: 225 MHz
H/T ratio: Auto
CPU ratio:18x225 = 4.050 GHz (on air!!)
D-RAM configs: auto, can assume that at 1:2 it's still @ 4-4-4-12, but unsure.
FSB/Memory Ratio: auto = 1:2 = 900 MHz
Auto Disable Dimm/PCI freq: Enabled - apparently, this helped a bunch. Amazing what I learned by just reading the dang book.
CPU Voltage: 1.600 - max "safe" setting in BIOS
MEM voltage: 2.10 - also max "safe" in BIOS
North Bridge V: 1.300 - max "safe"
H/T Voltage: 1.350 - max "safe"

I'm sure someone else in here would say (in MUCH better detail) that if you have this combo, don't just put in these numbers and hope for the best. If you're going to OC, take small steps, 1 notch at a time. This is what I got, and hope someone can go even faster, with good stability. I'll try to ramp it up a LITTLE more, but I'm willing to bet that this is as big as it will get. I will continue testing, and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help all!

So I've changed a couple more things to yield a higher CPU freq, and I'm onto something here.

I've changed the core clock to 220 MHz, and raised the multiplier to 18.5 for an overclock freq of 4.07!
My ram is down to 880 MHz, though. I have a thought, and would appreciate some input:
If I keep lowering the core clock to get my RAM somewhere into the 1000-1100 MHz range, would I lose the headroom that I've gained by overclocking the core, meaning, since I've changed the FSB to 220, and the ram is DDR2, it performs at 880 right now. If I try to change the FSB/Memory multiplier back to 1:2.66 to get my RAM to 1066 MHz, will it net a better result overall than oc'ing the CPU and slowing the RAM to something the MoBo can handle( Below 900 MHz)?
m
l
January 17, 2010 5:17:49 PM

So, I've concluded that I'm now at the point of diminishing returns. I used most of the above settings, with a few minor changes:
CPU freq is 4.07 GHz (220 MHz FSB * 18.5 multiplier)
NB freq of 2420 MHz
H/T link @ 2200 MHz
Memory @ 880 MHz and 2.10 Volts (4-4-4-12) (maybe can go slightly lower latencies...)

All other settings are as above, and I think it won't get a lot better. That's the best I can do. Anyone else with this combo get better? Don't think too many combos like mine are out there. I've researched the garbage out of similar set-ups, and not muh info. If anybody has any other recommendations, I'm open to try.
Thanks for your help, folks! :bounce:  :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:07:52 PM

I currently am doing this as well, but with a Phenom1 9850 Black. I had just been ticking the FSB up in small steps and put everything on auto.
So my question is are you using bios ver. 1.90 and are you actually changing each one manually? I know the phenom 1's are horrible at over clocking but I am on water and have yet to get the cpu temp over 38c ...Why can't I get up past 2.8/1066.
Oh and why do you have the TLB fix on I thought they corrected that in bios ver. 1.7.....? Thanxs laterz
m
l
!