8gb of DDR2 or 4gb of DDR3?

NinjaDMP

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Hello I'm working on my build right now and i was wondering what you guys thought about this, i can get the memory for roughly the same price and the asus mobos with ddr3 support aren't too much more expensive. What's your thoughts on this? If i did get 4gb of ddr3 now I would probably upgrade to 8 some time in the next year or so... is ddr3 worth it?

You're better off getting 8GB of good DDR2 memory now. DDR3 will become more common and come down in price eventually. The new Intel platform and AMD platforms will need DDR3, but by the time you upgrade faster, cheaper, and bigger RAM modules will be out making any DDR3 you could buy now as attractive then as two 512MB sticks of DDR2 533 is now.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
4 GB of DDR2-800 meets 99 percent of most users requirements, even if you OC. Even if you argue that DDR3 could be used down the road in Nehalem machines, I think it will require a different module config than you see today. So, there is just no reason to buy DDR3 and their is no reason to buy P45 or X*8 MB's that support DDR3.