Need help installing NB heatsink.

neozengar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I am currently trying to install a passive heatsink ,ZALMAN ZM-NB47J, for my asus a8n-e motherboard since its northbridge fan was too loud. The removal process of the fan was pretty smooth except that I realize I also peel off a black tape-like piece surrounding the chip. Now that it is off, it is no longer sticky. My question is, what exactly is that black tape like piece and do I need it for my new heatsink.

This is my first time installing NB heatsink and any help will be appreciated!

Is it a square or rectangle with an opening in the center? if so, then it is a gasket that surrounds the chipset. Reuse it when installing the new heatsink.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I kind of stuck it on a new forged copper heatsink and hoped it would stay on long enough for me to apply thermal compound and secure the new heatsink. It did. Without the gasket your results will not be as good.

If it one solid piece with no opening in the center? If so, then it is a thermal compound pad. Replace the pad with the thermal grease that came with the Zalman heatsink.

neozengar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I believe it's a casket then since it is a square black tape with a hole in the center just for the chip. However, I did not install it, with the new heatsink, do you think there will dmage the chip in anyway? I do not use the computer for heavy gaming and is not going to be use intensily. Thanks for you reply!

It will not damage the chip. It will work without the gasket. If memory serves, the gasket might help decrease the temperature by another degree or two. If you are not a hardcore gamer into serious overclocking a difference of one or two degrees will not matter.

neozengar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I see, thank you for the information as reinstalling the heatsink is quite a hassle for me since I have to remove the mobo and reapply the thermal paste etc. You saved me alot of troubles, thanks!