Sign in with
Your question

Slow file transfer to same drive

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2010 5:54:53 PM

So i guess i have to rewrite this i think i exited to early any ways here it goes again

got two hard drives one hitachi 160 gb ide and a hitachi 1 tb sata.
when i transfer a 1 gb file from partition 1 from the 1tb sata drive to partition 2 same drive slow rate. i can transfer fine from the sata drive to the ide drive and vice versa also when i copy files from dvd transfer rates are good no problems. its faster to transfer 1gb file from the sata drive to the ide drive and transfering it back to the sata drive. Only slow when transfering the file on and to the same drive the 1 tb. Also i get a good transfer rate if i transfer the file from the ide drive to the same ide drive.

pc specs
cpu: pentium 4 3.2 ghz
mobo: Foxconn 661FX7MI-S SiS 661FX Chipset
memory: 1 gb and 512 mb ddr
storage: 1tb hitachi sata and hitachi 160 gb ide
odd: memorex dvd burner ide
GPU: his ati 4670 agp
PSU: okia 650 watt
a c 415 G Storage
March 8, 2010 8:58:27 PM

What you're seeing is perfectly normal.

When you copy files from one place to another on the the same physical drive, the heads have to move back and forth each time a chunk of data is read and written. It goes: read - move heads - write - move heads - read - move heads ...etc. Between partitions different partitions is especially bad because you're forcing the heads to move a longer distance, which takes even more time.

Multiple partitions on the same disk is NOT a good idea for performance unless you are sure you're not going to be accessing files in different partitions at the same time.
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:04:00 PM

ok thanks a lot, i got it, i was thinking i had to many partitions.
m
l
!