Sign in with
Your question

Network losing connection

Last response: in Toms Network
June 6, 2009 12:48:01 PM

To start, the network consisted of Comcast internet using an Arris router, going into a Linksys BEFSR41 router, then to 2 different HP Pavilion computers both running VISTA. I added an older HP Pavillion running XP to that router. Also then plugged into that router a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and hard plugged into it 2 different home built computers both running XP Pro.

The network with just the 2 VISTA computers seemed fine. Also to point out, the other 3 computers were all networked together elsewhere and all worked fine. As soon as this network was all connected, all 5 computers randomly lose connection. When connection is lost, if I go to "Network Connections" in the control panel and repair connection it works again, until it randomly loses connection. Sometimes goes for a few minutes, sometimes it goes for almost an hour, but will ALWAYS lose connection at random times on ALL 3 computers.

I'm not 100% sure that I have this network set up correctly. The WRT54GS router goes from a port on the BEFSR41 router the #1 port on the WRT54GS.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
June 19, 2009 11:47:30 PM

Sounds like a lot of packet collision somewhere. Did you assign static IP's to each computer and to the second router?
June 20, 2009 12:23:19 AM

I fixed the issue..simple oversight.. the DCHP was set to enable on both routers. disabled on wireless and all is good :)  thank you
!