Sign in with
Your question

Can only see desktop background after updating driver

Last response: in Windows XP
March 9, 2011 4:01:54 PM

I can only see the desktop background after the computer starts. Updated dual 8800s, and now the entire startup is black. I can login after I hear the tone. Sounds similar to a problem posted by fadedsilhouette below, but I can't click "start". After login, I can see the desktop background and the mouse pointer, but that is all. No panles, no icons, no start button. Right clicking on the desktop brings up the normal menu, but clicking on any of the selections just disappears. The mouse can move off the screen to the left, but not the right.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

March 9, 2011 4:05:54 PM

Sorry, wrong forum, as I'm running Vista. Although if you have an answer for me, do tell.
m
l
March 9, 2011 9:11:43 PM

There are two things I suggest you try:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the Task Manager. From there, select File, then New (Run...). In the box, type "explorer.exe". Then press the Enter key.

or

2. Power down or reset the computer. Immediately and repeatedly press the F8 key. You will be redirected to the Advanced Boot Options Menu. Select Safe Mode. If the Desktop icons appear, then restart back to normal mode. If the icons are not showing, use the System Restore to a date prior to the driver update.
m
l
March 14, 2011 9:22:50 AM

You could also check if the desktop icons are being displayed...

Right click on desktop>view> show desktop icons....
it's worth a shot...
m
l
!