Plugged 4 pin main connector into the 4 pin ATX 12V connector

paceinyoface

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I just installed a new PSU which came with a 20 pin + 4 pin main power connector. I plugged the 20 pin connector into its slot. (it is a 20 pin board) and foolishly plugged the 4 pin connector that was attached to it into the 12V CPU connector. The computer started up for 1 second before shutting down. Realizing what I did I unplugged the 4pin from the 4 pin 12V CPU slot and plugged the right connector the ATX 12V. The computer started up up with no problem but could not get a video signal. Replaced video card and same thing no video signal. Any ideas. Did I fry the board?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

yes you fried the board..

if your lucky you havent fried the processor or the memory as the socket you plugged it in to was to power the processor...

the only plug that goes in to the motherboard near the processor has black and yellow wires on it...

this has been done many times and has been on here too..

paceinyoface

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I figured as much. I was looking to replace my board and processor anyways. Replacing the memory would piss me off more because I just purchased 2 sticks.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Try resetting the cmos with the PSU unplugged from the wall and then see what happens.

You could get lucky.

You might of fried the mobo.

You might of fried the PSU.

You might of fried everything.

Its trouble shooting time.

paceinyoface

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Yes I do have power going to the video card fans spin and everything and I also reset the CMOS and nothing. Everything come on like normal but no video signal. I have tried different Ram and another video card and same issue. Will not go into BIOS. No video signal. I am hoping at this point that I did fry the board only because I did order another one and a new CPU.

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I did the same thing on an AMD 939 board. Killed the board and the memory. Wasn't one of my brightest moments.

Damn those connectors that still fit in places they shouldn't!

fedtmusen

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
paceinyoface and Husky McTarflash -You are not alone....
In my antec 900 I placed the motherboard, after installing the cpu (q9450) and heatsink.
Then 2*2 gig ram, the fx-card (gforce 8600) and the harddisk was placed.
I thought I was doing a great job, when I bought a 20 pin to 24 pin extension cable and a 4 pin to 8 pin extension cable....
In my stupidity....I thought that the 4 pin, which was together with the 20 pin, was to the cpu....All the hardware and fans I connected to my chieftech 500 wat psu, well it did not look 100& neat, but I wanted to see some light! Was still not connected to monitor, and I got the speaker from the chieftech dragoon case, (now retired).
I hold my breath and started up. Nothing happened! I then plugged the monitor on and tried again, hope hope, but nothing happened. I tried to take the psu apart, but thats very hard so I gave up. I then got an idea and found the paperbox where the chieftech psu once was in, and there, on the side, in color, I could see I was an idiot! You now know this as well. The psu is dead, fan will not turn, out of the case, not connected to anything. Will now get a Corsair HX520W. Modular psu are very good to an antec 900 case cause not much space for cables. Well I will get it next year. Will then try roadrunner197069 s´ advice which I found in this tread. I too wanted to know if i fried something, hopefully only the psu died.
A happy NEW YEAR TO ALL. (fedtmusen means "fat mouse" but I might change my name to "dummy") ;]

fedtmusen

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
-
Placed the q9450 in another 775 board and it is running good and far better than the e6750 which it replaced. Can only recommend a quad core. :sol: The motherboard could only take 667 or 800 so could not check the ram which is 1066. :wahoo:

Kari

Splendid
fedt
you can still test the ram... DDR2-1066 is just overclocked DDR2-800 with higher voltage and looser timings. If it is not fried it will run just fine at 800, on the other hand if it is fried it won't run at any speed what so ever...

fedtmusen

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
fedt nok
Thanks Kari, wise words. I will do that first thing tomorrow, after breakfast, and results will be under those lines.
Sincerely Bo

fedtmusen

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
virkelig fedt
Late breakfast....
Thanks Kari, Well said, and great help.
-
The computer started up with the classic 1 beeb. With the 1066 ram
Sat the timings in bios, saved, and after a little delay, started up.
I had my Rudolf the Raindeer nose over the motherboard in other computer, and I could not smell or see any "burned" things.
So now, all I need is love and a new psu.
A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.