Asus HD 3650 AGP sound problems...

Russtopher

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I recently installed an Asus HD 3650 graphics card on my computer, and I've run into some issues with sound. The Asus card does HD audio, and has it own drivers for that, which messed up the on-board audio drivers on my computer. I disabled the Asus drivers and updated the on-board drivers. This worked to give me audio on some games, but not others. I could listen to music with Winamp, but Firefox gave me no audio during youtube videos and the like.

When I open "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel, I have no volume control and it tells me there is no audio device.

I tried installing a new sound card and fresh drivers, however I've encountered the same issues, even in the control panel.

Has anyone else encoutered a problem like this and know what I should do to fix it?

volvo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have encountered exactly the same thing, and I'm going crazy. When you go to configure Winamp's DirectSound output, it shows both my onboard as well as ATI HD rear sound. As mentioned, Windows' system properties pages don't think there is a device.

What is a brother to so?

volvo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Good news. ATI is totally useless, but I found some advice here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic70173.html

For the sake of complete disclosure, I'm not trying to get HDMI sound to work, but rather my onboard sound. I hope this can help though.

I'm using a desktop, not the D610, but it doesn't matter. The debug steps are insightful, but the solution was towards the end, and I'll recap what I did to fix this.
1. Open Command Prompt (Accessories or Run -> cmd)
2. Type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3. Type: devmgmt.msc
4. In Device Manager, click View -> Show Hidden devices
5. Remove all the greyed-out "ghost" devices

After step 4) above, if when I opened up Sound, video and game controllers, I saw about 20 devices that were no longer installed but whose drivers were not removed. I removed all of them by hand and restarted Windows Audio service (or you can reboot).

My onboard sound now works. It is possible that HDMI will also work now, but I don't have the means or interest to see. In any case, it can't hurt.