Powerful Enough?

ABSmoke

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hey Everyone,

I just got a new video card for Christmas and am trying to figure out if my power supply is powerful enough.

I have a "480 watt" power supply although this is the max output listed on the supply itself...The "total power" is 330 W. Here are its specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170016

Here is the video card I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102781

These are the rest of my computer specs:

P4 2.53 Ghz (about 6 years old)
2GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram
120 gig HD
SB Audigy Gamer soundcard

Keep in mind I do a lot of gaming with this system but not with settings cranked or anything.

Thanks in advance!

The total power may be 330 watts. The problem is that the 12 volt output is only 16 amps (192 watts). The 3.3 and 5 volt outputs are pretty heavy, but about 80% of the capacity of each is wasted.

You need a better power supply. Something like a good, modern 450 - 550 watt PSU would do nicely.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
ABSome.. For now, ur PSU shud be enough as long as u have enough power connectors to hook up to ur videocard.. Ur PSU is not ideal.. But then, ur power requirements are low.. I wud calculate that u need about 200w for ur system which might be expected from ur existing PSU.. try it out with a power meter and confirm..

Whats the brand?

An acbell 300w can power a pentium d + 2gb + 7800GTX so depending on the brands you might be ok

cmashwin those connectors dont mean squat -depends on what each device draws etc.

Keep in mind people this is a Northwood 2.53 (~70w) cpu with most likely a 845e/pe chipset - minimal power consumption so.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
yeah and he has just mentioned those.. i just meant that incase he has an older type PSU without those gfx connectors.. wud be better to upgrade the PSU in that case.. or else i think his current PSU might suffice..

ABSmoke

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Apache, you're pretty close...I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm but from memory I believe my mobo is an MSI 848P Neo-S...not positive though.

Also keep in mind all the other little things I have to power...USB mouse/keyboard/headphones, DVD Rom, etc.

The power supply I have is brand new as well...I thought it was a 480 watt but was mislead because they advertised the maximum power wattage (I assume it can't actually run at this wattage, is this correct?) It is identical to that one on NewEgg...Logisys brand.