Sign in with
Your question

Please help me decide if I should keep this prebuilt for ebay...

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2008 7:07:08 AM

Hey guys, this is my first post in these forums, or any techie forum for that matter... So yea me I'm on my way to understanding the ever changing grind of the information a techie thrives for!
I recently purchased a pre-built whitebox desktop for ebay to take advantage of the $200 dollars cashback from 30% off BIN auctions... I know I would of been better off building my own rig but, well I don't know a lot about desktop technology, nor how to assemble it though I hear with a little reading it can be achieve rather easily though can be forever tweaked, oc'd and so on plus I miss the joy of assemblage.
I am simply wondering if I got a descent bargain if this desktop is what the seller say's that it is... I don't know if I am allowed to post outside links here, if I am not please accept my apology in advance.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageNam..."

I'm not sure if you'll even be able to copy that into your browser's searchbar, so I will post the specifications. I spent 730 dollars shipped and will receive 200 dollars back from Microsoft live cash back.

CASE: "Raidmax KATANA Case in black, and other components" (wtf other components?)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
MOBO: ASUS P45Q (P5Q)
COOLING: "Cooler Master cpu cooler" (not really described just mentioned)
RAM: "OCZ Reaper 1200 ddr2 mhz" MODEL: (OCZ2RPR12002GK)
HD: Samsung 320GB SATA 3.0 MODEL : (HD322HJ)
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 4850 MODEL: (EAH4850/HTDI/512M)
"8 channel hi definition sound" (integrated carp?)

" All components are brand new retail boxed and come with their corresponding warranties:

CPU - 3 YEARS

MOTHERBOARD - 1 YEAR

MEMORY - LIFETIME

DVD BURNER - 1 YEAR

HARD DRIVE - 3 YEARS

GRAPHICS CARD - 1 YEAR

POWER SUPPLY- 1 YEAR"

Guy includes xp or vista (doesn't specify 32/64 bit) So how is this compared to other whitebox's on ebay? Did I make a descent buy for a prebuilt? Is this semi-upgradable / will this handle games ok if I upgrade ram to 4 gb? How about the gpu, will I be able to put in next gen ati/nvidea cards? Don't suppose the mobo supports raid or sli/xfire? Thanks in advance for any critique / criticism to this newb (points at himself)

More about : decide prebuilt ebay

October 3, 2008 7:40:43 AM

Right off, you can guess that the power supply is Raidmax as well, which is junk. Should be removed before starting the computer and replaced.

E8400 170.00 (decent)
P5QL 85.00 (OK, but NOT a P45. It's a P43. I would say this is an ignorant builder rather than deceptive. No need to lie here.)
GPU 170.00 (good)
memory: This is an odd one... this guy must be clueless to throw 1200Mhz memory into this build. Obviously not an expert builder. Spent like 90.00 retail on this, could have had 4GB and cash back for that price.

The other parts are less vital and I have no major objections.

Looks like maybe $650 to $700 to build this yourself, but of course you would have payed less for RAM and more for PSU.

I would say you got an honest build, but not a quality (or informed) one.

Replace the PSU with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And you'll be in good shape.
!