Anyone had luck overvolting a 5870?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
hey guys.

i'm just wondering if anyone here has experience OCing a 5870 beyond what CCC will allow.

i was able to hit 900/1300 without touching the voltages, which makes me pretty lucky. but now i'm excited to see how far i can push the card with a voltage boost.

problem is, i can't find any reliable info on OCing beyond those limits or upping the voltage.

best i can figure, i need to flash a new BIOS on my card and use MSI afterburner. has anyone tried this? is it safe?

i really want to push beyond 900/1300, so if anyone can help me do so i would appreciate it.

thanks.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
so i gave it a go, and everything is looking good.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g90/welshmouse/GPU1000.png

what do you think? if i keep ATI tool stressing for a while ill move onto playing crysis to make sure i dont crash/throttle. but is that looking safe to everyone?

atm i still have ATItool running, im at 74 degrees which is quite high. but at 100 percent thats expected. how long should i leave this running before i try out crysis?

uRSALOG

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
http://www.overclock.net/ati/64129 [...] urner.html will enable you to keep your settings, just make sure you set fan control to auto on both cc and afterburner or itll reset your settings and once youve found your preferred settings dont open afterburner again or itll reset your adjustments, lastly your power throttling settings might stop working so it wont throttle down to save power anymore.. maybe

welshmousepk

Distinguished
thanks ursalog, thats the exact method id used :D

seems okay, just spent 20 mins playing crysis at 1000Mhz core. no crahses or throttling (and 40 FPS!) . ive never overvolted a GPU before, so im not entirely sure how to know if its stable. but i guess ill keep using it til it crashes XD

EDIT: its looking good. i think im stable at 1000mhz. the problem, as you said, is it stops the power saving features from kicking in. and i don't like being at those clockspeeds while browsing the web :(.
atm im not sure what to do, i like having it at that clockspeed, but don't like ti STAYING there.

It's a bit old now, but here's what Asus did back in September ... imagine its been pushed a bit since then

"..... raise GPU voltages from 1.15V to 1.35V and from 1.088V to 1.4V respectively, boosting GPU and memory clock performance from 850 / 725 MHz to 1035 / 1050 MHz and from 4800 / 4000 MHz to 5200 / 5200 MHz respectively."

welshmousepk

Distinguished
thanks jack, yeah thats pretty much what i did. i don't really need to raise the memory clock anymore, so ive left that at 1300, but i raised the core voltage to 1.35 and hit 1000mhz.

as ive said though, i cant do it often because i need to restart my system if i want to return to my normal idle clocks.