gunnarhx

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
X58 ATX for $200+/-20

Never ending stream of questions like this...:).

Anyway, I am looking for a X58 board with the following characteristics
- Reasonably priced; $200, can be stretched if quality or function is superior for a candidate
- ATX is fine, it will be installed in a big case
- Solid OC. Looking to push +3.5G
- No gaming concerns. To be used for heavy computations.
- I have used Asus and MSI MB. Why not another brand for a change, even though Asus has treated me nice in the past.

I will put this in probably a Coolermaster HAF 922 case, with a i7 920 and heavy duty heat-sink (maybe Xigmatec or thermalright)

Since I am of a indecisive nature, I wonder what you fine people think about these choices?
Again, if there is a compelling reason to strech the budget, I am willing to listen...

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard
Newegg: $219

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg: $187

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
Newegg: $210
Comment: USB 3 and SATA 3 doesn't hurt either. UD5 supposedly cools better, but is it worth the money?

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58
Newegg: $169

ASRock X58 Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
Newegg: $204

Foxconn FlamingBlade LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg: $209

Solution
ASRock Extreme i believe doesnt OC well. I think The ASUS P6T SE would be a fine choice, as you mentioned they have treated you well and i've got no complaints with them.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5 and its a solid performer, OC my Ci7 920 to 4ghz no problem, the only thing I dont like is the high Vdroop( OR vdrop, can never remember) for example in my BIOS the Vcore is set to 1.286xxV and in windows its 1.25xxxV. I didnt have this issue with my old ASUS P5Q-E (775)

So i expect the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R will have this issue, although it isnt a major issue more of an annoyance for me atleast.

I believe the Foxconn FlamingBlade only has 3 DIMM slots so thats a max of 6GB (They say a max of 12GB but ive never seen any...
ASRock Extreme i believe doesnt OC well. I think The ASUS P6T SE would be a fine choice, as you mentioned they have treated you well and i've got no complaints with them.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte GA-EX58 UD5 and its a solid performer, OC my Ci7 920 to 4ghz no problem, the only thing I dont like is the high Vdroop( OR vdrop, can never remember) for example in my BIOS the Vcore is set to 1.286xxV and in windows its 1.25xxxV. I didnt have this issue with my old ASUS P5Q-E (775)

So i expect the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R will have this issue, although it isnt a major issue more of an annoyance for me atleast.

I believe the Foxconn FlamingBlade only has 3 DIMM slots so thats a max of 6GB (They say a max of 12GB but ive never seen any 4GB sticks) Although 6GB is enough for most people, some people like more depending of what they do with there PC.

So my vote is with the ASUS P6T SE

Solution

gunnarhx

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

omgitzfatal: I know what you mean, actually the Asus M4N82 I've got now has a bit of vdroop behaviour as well.
I agree; not a big deal, just something to be aware about.

It looks like Asus, EVGA or possibly Gigabyte.

Mr 'overshocked'. Is there a particular feature you like in the EVGA? better BIOS?