IF I FORMAT MY HARD DRIVE DO I LOSE ALL MY INFORMATION

Hello, I PLAN TO DONATE MY OLD PC. IF I FORMAT H/D WILL ANY OF MY PERSONAL INFO BE ACCESSIBLE TO ONE GETTING MY PC? CAN THEY RECOVER ANY DATA?
THANK YOU
3 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive lose information
  1. Format don't clean the drives entirely. You need to use 3rd party tools to WIPE clean all the sectors of the drive.
  2. Some of the free diagnostic tool software packages you can download from HDD makers' website contain a tool for "Zero Fill". This will write all zeroes to every part of a drive. HOWEVER, many of these tools only work on that maker's units. So, for example, if you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive, get the Seatools package from Seagate.

A zero-fill will over-write every part of the drive. Be aware that a sophisticated user with the right tools still could recover a bunch of data from a zero-filled drive. But for >99% of users, this will make all old data impossible to recover. For high data erasure security you need military-quality disk wiping software, and lots of third-party packages have that available. I used to use Norton Utilities years ago that had this.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Format Storage