Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD 939 upgrade options (warhammer!)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 27, 2008 6:25:36 AM

Ok so I have had a 'decent' machine

Asus A8N AMD 939 sli board
AMD 3000+ 1.8ghz
nVidia 6800 vanilla

I just started playing warhammer (awesome game! get it!) and I want my system to perform better. The game changes my settings to 'fastest framerate' and this is not acceptable.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to Intel but I think I can get better performance/dollar with a better 939 amd proc. I already got an nVidia 9600gt off newegg so my video card should be taken care of. As far as proc, what do you think my best option would be?

AMD 3800+ is only ~$40 off ebay. This is most likely what I will do, but I would like any input available.

Thanks guys!
Happy holidays!

December 27, 2008 6:57:27 AM

Well... a double core AMD prosessor is the easiest choice. There are not so many 939 prosessors available, so go for something that has at least same core freguense as in your original prosessor. Othervise in some older games at least you performance would actually be worse thatn with the prosessor you have now.
I have also 939 prosessor, 4600+ and it's ok with 4Mb of memory. But you have to have good GPU. 9600 is not bad but if you want to have Nvidia GPU 8800 would have been better choise (IMHO)
Good hunting for your CPU. I am afraid that it will be easier to go to completely new rig, but it would be so much more expensive alternative that if you can find good CPU at reasonable prize, you can go a long time with your computer!
939 based prosessor are good enough if you don't play the newest games, well I even play LOTRO online, and Oblivion with my 939 machine. Only going to go to AMD 4870 graphich card upgrade next...

December 27, 2008 7:24:38 AM

If you want to stick with a 939, you can go with a FX-55 clocked at 2.6ghz. That is a single core. I'm not aware of hardly any dual core cpus that have a 939 socket. I've had the FX-55 in my computer for the past few years and it's still able to run some of the games currently coming out, although I'm not a big gamer.
Related resources
December 27, 2008 7:57:57 AM

I"m running a AMD X2 3800+ Socket 939 that may be for sale in the near future, or just check e-bay for it. Great chip.
December 27, 2008 8:34:22 AM

There were a few fast dual core CPUs made for 939 boards. I had an Athlon64 3800 setup that I upgraded to an Opteron 180 (basically an X2 4800) that ran great for quite awhile. Problem now is that any decent dual core 939 CPUs have been long discontinued- The premium you'd have to pay for any available just isn't worth it. At this point, DDR2 ram has gotten cheap, a basic Core2 Mobo is pretty inexpensive and a Core2 CPU that'd be comparable, or even crush the best ever 939 dual core can be had for around $100.

Really, You'll be much better off just starting over with an entirely new system.
December 27, 2008 12:26:57 PM

I have a 939 with a x2 3600 (yes they did make em) clocked at 2.2 ghz , and my next upgrade will be first a am2+ mobo for around 60 quid and a 6000 for another 60 , that way I can up to phenom in the future , unfortunately AMD have stopped making chips for 939 boards , stupid ,I think
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2008 12:58:44 PM

Your only and best bet right now if you really want to upgrade that 939 system one last time is a socket 939 Operton. They are dual core, and fast.
Overclock very easily. Same thing as any X2, only they are binned of higher quality as they were meant for servers. There are still some of these around, but they are getting expensive.
Google search for one. You can probably find them, or any X2 939 processor on Ebay. It may be better at this point to do as some others have suggested, put the money towards a new platform.
December 27, 2008 1:32:17 PM

Stick the new gfx card in and see how it performs... Then if it's still not performing, look into the CPU
December 27, 2008 1:41:59 PM

pete3867 said:
I have a 939 with a x2 3600 (yes they did make em) clocked at 2.2 ghz , and my next upgrade will be first a am2+ mobo for around 60 quid and a 6000 for another 60 , that way I can up to phenom in the future , unfortunately AMD have stopped making chips for 939 boards , stupid ,I think



It is not AMD that decided to phase ot socket939, but the market. OEM made the swich to DDR2 and started to stop buying DDR1 memory. AMD had to make the switch in order to keep their market alive with OEM.

Just like the same will happen with AM2.. DDR3 is on it's way and the day it will become mainstream, DDR2 will be phased out as well a AM2.
December 27, 2008 2:02:25 PM

AMD has already began phasing out the AM2's and have annoucned plans to post last order dates for the new Phenom II 920's and 940's some time in May 09.

"Last order notice for the company's upcoming 45nm AM2+ Phenom II X4 920 and 940 Black Edition CPUs, will be issued in May next year, while AMD has already stopped taking orders for its quad-core Phenom X4 9650 this month. AMD's Phenom X4 9950 (140W) and 9850 (125W) will have their last order notice issued in March next year, and Phenom X4 9750, 9850 (95W) and 9950 (125W) will be in June."
December 28, 2008 1:56:33 AM

stoner133 said:
AMD has already began phasing out the AM2's and have annoucned plans to post last order dates for the new Phenom II 920's and 940's some time in May 09.

"Last order notice for the company's upcoming 45nm AM2+ Phenom II X4 920 and 940 Black Edition CPUs, will be issued in May next year, while AMD has already stopped taking orders for its quad-core Phenom X4 9650 this month. AMD's Phenom X4 9950 (140W) and 9850 (125W) will have their last order notice issued in March next year, and Phenom X4 9750, 9850 (95W) and 9950 (125W) will be in June."



Yup, I read that. DDR3 is coming and it will become mainstream soon. That don't mean that DDR2 will stop working at this date thou...
January 22, 2009 2:02:02 AM

I am really annoyed at the price of X2 939 AMD procesors I think they really stitched me up. I bought a single core AMD and hoped to upgrade to a X2 later at a price I could afford. However the prices have not dropped because they don't make them anymore.
You can buy socket AM2 X2 processor of the same spec for 1/2 or even 1/3 of the socket 939 price.

So...I have a little present for AMD - I will never buy any of their products in future. So it's goodbye AMD and hello Intel.

I am not really bothered about performance I just want to spite AMD, anyway Intel make some fantastic chips now.

I would hope others who have been screwed by AMD will act in a similar fashion, and even those who have not yet been screwed should follow suit as you now know what they are capable of - I do hope they go bust.

I will be sending a copy of this post to AMD sales enquiries and whoever else I can find an email address for, it will also be appearing on lots of message boards and computing/graphics forums.

I am determined to give AMD what they gave me, ie a kick in the b*lls.

Message sent to AMD please feel free to copy and resend it :) 
January 22, 2009 2:21:24 AM

ha well I quit the game and got a cheap 3700+.
I'll be going intel as well when it is time to upgrade.
January 22, 2009 2:26:15 AM

esbo said:
I am really annoyed at the price of X2 939 AMD procesors I think they really stitched me up. I bought a single core AMD and hoped to upgrade to a X2 later at a price I could afford. However the prices have not dropped because they don't make them anymore.
You can buy socket AM2 X2 processor of the same spec for 1/2 or even 1/3 of the socket 939 price.

So...I have a little present for AMD - I will never buy any of their products in future. So it's goodbye AMD and hello Intel.

I am not really bothered about performance I just want to spite AMD, anyway Intel make some fantastic chips now.

I would hope others who have been screwed by AMD will act in a similar fashion, and even those who have not yet been screwed should follow suit as you now know what they are capable of - I do hope they go bust.

I will be sending a copy of this post to AMD sales enquiries and whoever else I can find an email address for, it will also be appearing on lots of message boards and computing/graphics forums.

I am determined to AMD what they gave me, ie a kick in the b*lls.

Message sent to AMD please feel free to copy and resend it :o )


Wow, strong post. Its not AMD's fault that you waited 4 years to upgrade to a dual core. If you had bought an intel motherboard at the same time you would be in the same position, at best you would be upgrading from a pentium 4 to a pentium D.
January 22, 2009 3:21:23 AM

nsimo86 said:
Wow, strong post. Its not AMD's fault that you waited 4 years to upgrade to a dual core. If you had bought an intel motherboard at the same time you would be in the same position, at best you would be upgrading from a pentium 4 to a pentium D.


No AMD still make the X2 chips they just refuse to make it in a compatible socket.
No the socket T which I could have had from intel at the time for a Celeron support its
later chips up to Core 2 Quad.

It makes me sick when a 939 chip costs £93.99 yet the same chip in an AM2 socket costs £34.00.

That is £60 more I am having to pay.

So will I buy AMD again? - No. Never in a million years.

I expect you can't upgrade a Celeron to a Core 2 Quad anyway it seems rather unlikely.

But as I said, AMD could make 939 X2 chips for £34, but it won't.

So they fooked me :fou:  and now they can go fook themselves - bye bye AMD! :bounce: 

January 22, 2009 3:47:49 AM

Its called supply and demand, you are the only person who wants to upgrade that dead platform. AMD has done a great job with the AM2 platform and its upgradeability. Go out and buy a intel 775 mobo and a core2duo and then when you want to upgrade to a quad in another 3 years you will be in the same situation. Its your own damn fault, go pout about it some more.
January 22, 2009 5:05:48 PM

Yep... Both companies drop the support of older soccets sooner or later. It is not economically wise to make chips that only few are willing to buy.
So as have been said, it does not matter if you chose AMD or intel... You can not buy better CPU's for your mother board after too long time. All you can do is to find out what is good at that moment for your money, and what part of their living time the technology is.
Right now the the Core2 technology is phasing out from Intel and AM2 from AMD. You can easily see that even now. So if you have an old platform based on those systems, now is the last good time to upgrade them. Later it will be hard to find replesement. (Not quite yeat, but a couple of years more, and there will be only expensive alternatives, if even them...)
January 22, 2009 7:52:04 PM

Dont blame AMD for your supplier milking his last 3 939 chips for max profit.
January 22, 2009 10:34:52 PM

yeah I still think it sucks too , and I think there is a wider debate here , like really they have a duty to supply chips for at least 5 years after making the socket , it's like buying a car and then not being able to get parts for it after a few years , also , someone mentioned supply and demand , well coluldn't AMD simply stock pile a few thousand of them , like enough to last a few years , I don't feel as if my 939 rig is "outdated" it does everything I want it to , I dunno bloody technology tsk
January 22, 2009 10:47:49 PM

pete3867 said:
yeah I still think it sucks too , and I think there is a wider debate here , like really they have a duty to supply chips for at least 5 years after making the socket , it's like buying a car and then not being able to get parts for it after a few years , also , someone mentioned supply and demand , well coluldn't AMD simply stock pile a few thousand of them , like enough to last a few years , I don't feel as if my 939 rig is "outdated" it does everything I want it to , I dunno bloody technology tsk


Your car analogy is very weak. The cpu is like a car engine, if you burn up your engine in a 5 year old car you are going to pay a premium for a new one. Secondly it would be terrible business for any company to stockpile product. To keep overhead costs low in modern manufacturing, companies need to make just enough product as they can sell. Five years in the tech sector is an eternity, how would they ever sell any new processors if they continue supporting obsolete technology for 5 years?
January 22, 2009 11:07:23 PM

hannibal said:
Yep... Both companies drop the support of older soccets sooner or later. It is not economically wise to make chips that only few are willing to buy.
So as have been said, it does not matter if you chose AMD or intel... You can not buy better CPU's for your mother board after too long time. All you can do is to find out what is good at that moment for your money, and what part of their living time the technology is.
Right now the the Core2 technology is phasing out from Intel and AM2 from AMD. You can easily see that even now. So if you have an old platform based on those systems, now is the last good time to upgrade them. Later it will be hard to find replesement. (Not quite yeat, but a couple of years more, and there will be only expensive alternatives, if even them...)



Clearly you are talking nonsense, not only is it economically viable but it is financially stupid, many are willing to buy these chips which is why 939 X2 chips can fetch 3 or 4 times as much similar AM2 chips. The cost difference is neglible if none existant.

Anyway thier meanness will not make them money because my machine has many years of life in it, and I won't be buying AMD of any flavour every again.

NEVER NEVER NEVER.

I don't care what their excuses are they just won't wash with me.
I know when a company has fooked me up, I ain't no mug, once a company rips me off that's it. I don't buyy from crooks, end of.
January 22, 2009 11:11:41 PM

B-Unit said:
Dont blame AMD for your supplier milking his last 3 939 chips for max profit.



I am blaming them 100% sunshine 100%
Nothing will change that.
January 22, 2009 11:17:05 PM

nsimo86 said:
Your car analogy is very weak. The cpu is like a car engine, if you burn up your engine in a 5 year old car you are going to pay a premium for a new one. Secondly it would be terrible business for any company to stockpile product. To keep overhead costs low in modern manufacturing, companies need to make just enough product as they can sell. Five years in the tech sector is an eternity, how would they ever sell any new processors if they continue supporting obsolete technology for 5 years?


Very bad anlogy, AMD still make *exactly* the same engine, they just refuse to make it in a 939 package.
That's why I will never buy AMD again.

Whose gonna buy from a bar steward like that again?


By the way AMD have not responded to my complaint yet.
January 22, 2009 11:28:21 PM

Wow you really dont know when you've been beaten. AMD is 3 generations of chips past what you are wanting them to keep making. If your machine has so much life left in it then quit your complaining and keep using it until the day you decide it doesnt have any life left.
January 23, 2009 12:43:00 AM

nsimo86 said:
Wow you really dont know when you've been beaten. AMD is 3 generations of chips past what you are wanting them to keep making. If your machine has so much life left in it then quit your complaining and keep using it until the day you decide it doesnt have any life left.



Well I am not the one who is beaten, it is AMD who are beaten, they are losing money.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gXvPI...

You are right that my machine has a lot of life left in it though even without upgrading the prosessor which is why I will not pay £100 just to upgrade the
processor. I would pay £50 though and AMD could have that money but apparently they don't want it despite their losses.

I will not quit complaining though, I owe AMD nothing and I have nothing to lose by complaining about their products, or lack thereof.

There is a big gap in the market for X2 939 procesors which they could profit from
but they have chosen to bite the hand that feeds them.

How can it be that some 939 X2 procesor (3 generations past) retail on ebay for *more* that the AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black AMD's latest processor?

That is not right and none of your fakery will convince me that it is, so perhaps it is you who should accept that you are beaten and that AMD are a bad company to
do business with because they willl stitch you up.

AMD are going to have a hard enough time shifting their chips when INTEL make better ones anyway, I don't see what they hope to gain by completely destroying
their customer base.

AMD seem to be on a suicide mission and their latest (profit) loss figures confirm
that.

So in the future they situation is likely to be the same, ie you won't be able to upgrade your machine, not because refuse to make chips to allow past customers
to upgrade but simply because they will be bankrupt.

Maybe they should change their logo from AMD to MUG, because that is what you will be if you buy one of their machines.

AMD still have not responded to my email about the situation.

Silence speaks volumes as they say.
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2009 12:56:18 AM

I would have agreed with you a year ago, but now DDR2 ram is actually decent and it is time to put 939 to rest. I used mine in my primary computer up until a couple weeks ago (and will keep using it as a secondary) but finally made the switch and am quite pleased. As to AMD losing money, everyone is, including Intel. This is just a really rough time for all.
January 23, 2009 12:56:56 AM

AMD stopped supporting 939 because it did not support DDR2 RAM. Any faster chips would have been bottlenecked by the RAM and FSB speed. Your arguments are terrible and you are bitter at AMD when you really should be bitter at the vendors.
January 23, 2009 3:40:29 AM

nsimo86 said:
AMD stopped supporting 939 because it did not support DDR2 RAM. Any faster chips would have been bottlenecked by the RAM and FSB speed. Your arguments are terrible and you are bitter at AMD when you really should be bitter at the vendors.



What are you talking about?
How can I be bitter at the 'vendors', they can only sell what the manufactures make and as AMD don't make the chips they cannot sell them.

If X2 chips are bottledneck as you say by DDR memory, AMD had no problems selling such bottlenecked (939)
processors, there are also plenty on Ebay selling for over £100 (or $300 in the USA again more than new AMD quad core procesors!!). Futher more my machine says it will support X2 up to 4800. And I believe that!!

My machine is fine, I won't be getting a new one anytime soon, but I would not mind a resaonably priced 939 X2 processor. AMD could sell a barrel load of these if it made them there is no doubt about that.
But they are to busy going belly up apparenty. They aslo will miss out on compatible graphics card sales.

It is gaining nothing by not doing so because if it does not I will never buy from them again.
Their marketing department must be ran by idiots.

Nobody in my position is going to get a new AMD machine so you are wasting your time pushing your fake
arguements, because they don't stand up.
January 23, 2009 4:30:14 AM

esbo said:
What are you talking about?
How can I be bitter at the 'vendors', they can only sell what the manufactures make and as AMD don't make the chips they cannot sell them.

Exactly, they are the ones price gouging you, not AMD. You are missing the point as to why AMD no longer makes 939 chips.

esbo said:
If X2 chips are bottledneck as you say by DDR memory, AMD had no problems selling such bottlenecked (939)
processors, there are also plenty on Ebay selling for over £100. Futher more my machine says it will support X2 up to 4800. And I believe that!!

A 4800 might not be bottlenecked but it is so far behind the curve of todays technology. Even AMD's fastest dual core processor is obsolete today.

esbo said:
My machine is fine, I won't be getting a new one anytime soon, but I would not mind a resaonably priced 939 X2 processor. AMD could sell a barrel load of these if it made them there is no doubt about that.
But they are to busy going belly up apparenty. They aslo will miss out on compatible graphics card sales.

If I were you, I would just keep looking on ebay or post in the classified section in this forum for a used socket 939 x2 or even a single core FX processor (these can still play alot of todays games). What do you mean by compatible graphics card sales? There are not special graphics cards that only work with 939 processors...

esbo said:
It is gaining nothing by not doing so because if it does not I will never buy from them again.
Their marketing department must be ran by idiots.

What would you have them do? Keep selling old technology and let intel pass them up? That doesnt make sense and it has absolutely nothing to do with marketing. Like I said earlier, had you bought a intel motherboard at the same time you would've been limited in your upgrades too. Best case scenario you wouldve been able to upgrade your Pentium 4 to a Pentium D or a low end core2duo. To say that AMD are idiots makes you look like an idiot.

esbo said:
Nobody in my position is going to get a new AMD machine so you are wasting your time pushing your fake
arguements, because they don't stand up.

The fact is there are not many people in your position. People running 939 OEM systems are not going to be looking to upgrade there processor and people who build their own systems usually upgrade way more often than you apparently do.


If you really get your wish and AMD goes under then yes you'll be able to keep upgrading the same motherboard for a longer time but you'll also be gouged by intel for processors. In addition, without any competition there will not be innovation and processor speeds will increase very slowly. Maybe you should think twice before you hope AMD goes under.
January 23, 2009 6:05:44 AM

I am not missing the point the point is AMD can make those chips if it want to.
Repeating they don't make them, is the same as saying "AMD are at fault".
And *no way* is my machine obsolete. The only thing which puts strain on my PC is watching TV on it (via a dongle) *and* recording it, which I am doing now incidently I also have about 15 surfing windows running, my firewall, antivirus and a bit torrent download. (CPU 60%) Yea maybe I should kick up a few online poker games and play them at the same time.
But obviously that puts quite a strain on my processor (brain) too.
So no way is it obsolete, especially when you consider my last PC a Cyrix MII 300 could not play some types of video.

There is plenty of life in the old dog yet
If I am going to spend an extra £100 it will be on a seperate recorder for my TV, but that will probalby have a £250 gig drive with it.

It's just annoying that AMD, in a *recession* refuse to make a product I am willing to buy. How stupid is that?

Do I care if they go bust? No because they deserve it.
January 23, 2009 6:12:12 AM

The editor is as bad as AMD lol
January 23, 2009 4:28:13 PM

You are posting on the wrong site if you've only had two computers in the last 15 years.

AMD would lose more money than they would make by continuing to sell 939 chips. Take some business classes and maybe you'd understand these simple concepts.

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, your computer is obsolete (look up the definition because I dont think you know what it means).
January 23, 2009 7:06:45 PM

nsimo86 said:
You are posting on the wrong site if you've only had two computers in the last 15 years.

AMD would lose more money than they would make by continuing to sell 939 chips. Take some business classes and maybe you'd understand these simple concepts.

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, your computer is obsolete (look up the definition because I dont think you know what it means).


I don't need business classes from a compay which is bankrupt or advice of computers from someone who uses theirs to play childrens games.
They will go bust and you are wasting your time and money. :non: 
January 23, 2009 8:11:21 PM

Wow, your idiocy is boundless...

AMD has moved 2 process nodes (65nm and 45nm) and 3 CPUs since then. Stop your whining and either buy a new PC or go climb back into your cave and enjoy your 5 year old PC.
January 23, 2009 8:31:25 PM

Esbo, just STFU & GTFO. Your mobo is massively outdated.

If you want to keep your pc- you have to deal with the fact that you will pay almost as much for a new 939 cpu as you would for an equally powerful LGA775 or AM2 cpu + new mobo.

Just look for a $100 939 chip that is the equivalent of a $30-40 AM2 chip and keep your system for another year... after that, it is DEFINITELY time to throw your old pc from the top of a very very tall cliff. (except perhaps the 6800geforce, since it isn't all that bad of a card yet- it's probably as powerful as an 8400GT or HD3450 right?
January 23, 2009 10:57:16 PM

idisarmu said:
Esbo, just STFU & GTFO. Your mobo is massively outdated.

If you want to keep your pc- you have to deal with the fact that you will pay almost as much for a new 939 cpu as you would for an equally powerful LGA775 or AM2 cpu + new mobo.

Just look for a $100 939 chip that is the equivalent of a $30-40 AM2 chip and keep your system for another year... after that, it is DEFINITELY time to throw your old pc from the top of a very very tall cliff. (except perhaps the 6800geforce, since it isn't all that bad of a card yet- it's probably as powerful as an 8400GT or HD3450 right?



No as I said the only thing I have problems with is recording TV whilst doing other things, worse is **** written online poker clienets. I won't spend £100 on a CPU it's not worth that, I wil spend it on a decideted Digital TV recorder.

I can't see me buying a new PC for another 4-5 year to be honest.
I am not a gamer.

I am just making the point about AMD's poor marketing strategy. There is a big market for people who are not happy to waste their money like me.
As has been said, gamers won't buy it they will buy the latest chips so AMD are just turning down an oppertunity to print moey as they head towards bankruptcy.
Mark my words it wil go bust all companies who treat their customers like **** do eventually.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/01/23/the-re...

Once the cash they have in the bank has ran out that's it.
And that won't be long they have had 9 consecutive quarterl losses.
If they are going belly up anyway why not cash in on the 9393 market and keep themselves in
jobs for another 6 months?


Not sure where you got the 6800 geforce from, I actually have a HD3450 which I bought to upgrade the oboard express 200 graphics. But I am not a gamer anyway. Oh yes I remember now I got it so I could run two monitors mainly.

But as I said I am not willing to spend more than the psychology £50 on the CPU.

And whwn I do upgrade my machine it as sure as hell ain't going to be AMD is it, you don't see celerons on ebay retailing for more than quad core core chips do you?

Fook AMD.

January 23, 2009 11:21:31 PM

Put it this this way, if they don't go bust I wil burn their factory down :lol: 
January 24, 2009 1:34:45 AM

Now you are just trolling and I shouldn't even be responding to your illogical arguments.

Marketing has nothing to do with it, there isn't a profitable market for a 939 processor in 2009.

If you even cared to look you would see that intel chips from the same era as your athlon 64 are similarly priced today. You would also pay a premium for the fastest pentium 4's and pentium D's as you will for a 939 athlon x2. By your logic, all technology companies would have gone "belly up" a long time ago because of their "poor marketing strategy".

All I can say is have fun running your obsolete machine for another 5 years.
January 24, 2009 8:27:10 PM

you guys are missing the point here , socket 939 is only obsolete because AMD has stopped making the chips , I don't accept that if I upgrade now from my dual core 3600 to a am2 mid range dual core that the difference will be that noticeable,
QUOTE
Wow, your idiocy is boundless...

AMD has moved 2 process nodes (65nm and 45nm) and 3 CPUs since then. Stop your whining and either buy a new PC or go climb back into your cave and enjoy your 5 year old PC.

so what's wrong with making things last , my 939 plays far cry 2 and fallout 3 without an issue , and actually I don't think it is obselete , IF ONLY I COULD BUY A SLIGHTLY FASTER CHIP I would probably get another 2-3 years out of it , you have to remember , most people don't give a toss about shaving a nanosecond off a benchmark , if you call a skt 939 obselete then tell me what can't it do that your super quad core penis extensions can't
January 24, 2009 8:42:38 PM

My issue is with esbo making outrageous claims about AMD making poor business decisions. I agree that a 939 can still play most games. No one is suggesting upgrading from a 939 to a AM2 dual core. If someone in your situation were to upgrade it should be to a quad core. One thing your 939 cant do is play DX10 games at high settings and the differences between your chip and a core2quad, i7 or phenom 2 is a lot bigger than a nanosecond.
January 24, 2009 9:01:29 PM

yeah that's a fair comment about the dx10 , but that's assuming I wan't to .
Imagine a mid sized company that bought 939 skt pc's a few years back , and now they are thinking about an upgrade , surely if they could buy some dual core processors that would be a better option than a full upgrade , if AMD stockpiled say 20.000 x2 4600 they WOULD sell them , and probably be able to charge a bit more than a couple of years back , I don't see that as crazy at all , and as I understand it the difference between 939 and am2 is ONE PIN
January 24, 2009 9:36:44 PM

well that wouldnt be good for them as they would be losing money selling 939 cpus especially when you can get an inexpensive am2 mobo and althlon x2 for under $150.
January 25, 2009 12:03:59 AM

I guess your right
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 25, 2009 12:11:37 AM

Get a good AM2+ board that will be AM3 ready. I'm sure that along with a cheap athlon 5000+ you can overclock and 2 or 4GB of DDR2 800 it will come out to around 100 and it will be much better than buying a dual core 939 CPU. Basically you will be able to use AM3 CPUs in AM2 boards that have had BIOS updates to accept them. Gigabyte lists their AM3 ready Boards with 140W CPU support on their website under their hot AM2+ products.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Li...

And of course if you click on individual boards you will see if they are AM3 ready or not. Asus also lists their AM3 supported boards

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149

MSI is not so generous and you are going to have to click on each board to see for yourself. Of course most 790, 770 and some of the better 780 boards should be able to support AM3 CPUs with a simple BIOS update.
January 25, 2009 12:31:04 AM

nice one megaman , I have been thinking along those lines , but if ,like you say , the board supports the future phenoms , it'll be a good upgrade , I guess I could sell my skt 939 x2 3600 on ebay for nearly as much as it would cost to upgrade ,
I was thinking of the x2 5000 or maybe the new dual core kuma , 7750 , I thought it would possibly have a little longer shelf life than the 5000 , whatta you guys reckon
January 25, 2009 12:42:53 AM

You should sell you x2 3600 to esbo so he'll get his panties out of a bunch and wont have to upgrade for another 5 years.

I did essentially the same thing, I bought a 790gx mobo and a 5400+ and I just upgraded to the phenom 2 940. I would go with either the 7750, 6000, or 5400 black edition, any of them will go to 3ghz no problem. If you get the 5400 black edition you'll need an aftermarket heatsink but you can always use it in the future with a phenom.
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 25, 2009 3:14:14 AM

Gigabyte is still a little rough on their new BIOSes, so Asus is probably your best choice. That said, the Gigabyte issues I have had aren't major. My comp appears about 100% stable when doing something and 95% stable at idle. Hopefully the new F3 or future BIOSes will fix that. And pete, if you go from a X2 3600 to one of the new quads (or duals or tris for that matter) I think you will be very happy with your investment. Throw in a 4850 and you will have one very capable gaming (or whatever) computer.
January 25, 2009 8:29:57 PM

The AMD integrated graphics can handle alot of games and are pretty good. I think I'd pay a little extra and get the 790gx chipset with the southbridge 750 instead of a 780g board.
!