who is currently offering better value, nvidia or ati?

who is currently offering the best cards at the best prices?

• nvidia

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • ati

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • idk/idc/intel ;)

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

hhahaahyea

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
nvidia was basically on top for quite some time. ati is, especially recently, really fighting back. but is it enough? who is really offering the greatest value at the moment, in your opinion?

and i dont want fanboyish garbage stating that the 4800 series runs at 5000C or stuff like NVIDIA4LIFE. have benchmarks or reviews. and dont flame each other the nvidia/ati battle hasn't been this good for some time and a DECENT conversation could be interesting and enlightening.

go!
:D

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
As a laptop user I'm gonna say Nvidia. In desktop cards ATI, but if you're going mobile... you still want an Nvidia (just not one that'll overheat and eventually die like all of the ones that were recalled)

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'll toss a vote for the 4850 too. Very quick card for little money. You can pick one up for around 200, and it works extremely well. Some of the best power for your money. As far as $'s/performance goes, ATI has held that crown for a long time. Performance wise, the 280 really shines, specially in SLI and Tri-SLI, but the performance just isnt worth the price unless you're gaming on a 30" screen intending to play crysis at max rez.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you are planning on keeping your card for a year or more, it could be ATI.
They support DX 10.1, which should start playing a bigger role going forward. It does not have a role now really, but give things 6-12 months and I think things will start to go there.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Wow!!!! :bounce: You have a lot of money tied up in graphics cards.

crowheart27us

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
At the moment I'm running 2x8800gt(s) in sli(which for me is all I need at the moment) but if I had to go for a newer system I believe I would build a nice crossfire system built around the 4850. I'm not a fanboy, I simply purchase what the best deal at the time is that can get the most performance. At this time I must agree that Ati seems to be the much better value for the performance, but as we all know that can change at any time. And personally I hope the war between Ati and Nvidia continues for a long time for we are the ones to benifit
from the price drops. I believe its never been a better time to build a computer than now with how low tech prices are dropping.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
It's fair to say both companies offer something for each price point and performance requirements. The only place Nvidia hasn't matched is the ultra highend, because they don't have a card capable of competing with the 4870 X2.

I think with graphics cards and probably most other hardware too, you'll find that people will jump on the popular bandwagon and everything outside of these hyped products 'suck'. You'll also find that some people will defend what they have bought to the hills, no matter what.

I personally don't how these threads are that constructive, because you say 'No fanboys', but you only invite fan boys with such questions, maybe that's your aim? then you write the word 'Go!' just all seems suspicious to me.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I just voted ati even though I just got rid of my 2 8800gts cards this week for a gtx 260 216 core.

The 4850, 4870, and 4870 x2 series are increadible cards, especially ath the price point. Welll maybe not the 4870 x2 price but you know what i'm saying. Had my mobo supported x-fire I probably would have gone with the 4870. But all in all, you really can't lose either way. Just read lots of comparison and reviews on toms and 3dguru and you can make an education choice.

They weren't recalled, they're still out there. There's extended warranty coverage for some or the udated 'fan always on' bios for others, but they weren't recalled, that would've cost nV billions, not millions.

Ss for the value in laptops, I don't know if nV is a better value in the areas they compete head to head. nV definitely have more options, but that's different than better value, and while the GTS was the champ before, the new 3850s are pretty inexpensive too, and no bonding production issues.

hhahaahyea

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

agreed.
this isn't just a who's better since that's a complex question that could be addressed on many levels.

you lost me with your last point since i didn't ever say 'No fanboys' i said no fanboy crap since there are trolls who go around saying AMD4LIFE and posting biased articles. i was personally really surprised to see ati leading by this much and seeing as how i'm a system builder as a side job to help pay for tuition the only "suspicious" thing here seems to be your choice of/missing words in the last part or your statement :heink: