Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XFX HD 4890

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2010 1:23:28 PM

Hi everyone. I have model # ZSFC. Anytime i try to up the GPU core on this thing even like 20MHz I will start getting artifacts pretty soon after just from simply windows browsing. I am using CCC for this. Is there another program i should use? Does my card just suck for overclocking? I even installed a side fan to blow right on this bad boy. Any suggestions or similar problems?

More about : xfx 4890

January 17, 2010 4:04:16 PM

well the one thing i noticed with my card that any program i use will not display any voltages. Is it impossible for me to overclock without increasing the voltages a bit? also. CCC has automatic fan speed that seems to adjust with the temperature. Are you suggesting I permanently put my fans on a 50% setting or higher?
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:31:43 AM

Have you considered flashing it to an ASUS bios? I have the same revision, although I can get my card to 890 before artifacting.

I'll tell you that the only real way to get any decent OC's out of our cards is a Volt Mod... Hard of Soft Mod... Just a VMod in general (NON-Reference Models)

Pencil Volt Mod :)  --> http://www.overclock.net/general-volt-mods/623325-vmod-...

Just follow the thread. Good Luck!
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2010 12:51:14 AM

I've never flashed a different BIOS to a video card out of fear. How risky is this? Hav you used this pencil volt mod and had success with it? I am at 875/1000 now and its been stable for a few days now. Did you have to increase voltages just to get to 890?
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:55:57 AM

wow I read the first page of that and..yea wow. No way I'm diving that deep into this!
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:58:20 AM

I did use it to get to 1.37v and a 980/1100 STABLE overclock, but my cooling isn't up to par to really handle it :-/

I just rubbed off the pencil though to undo the process.

BIOS flash is a little less risky I'd say... I mean, you do have the potential to kill your card either way, but its a little easier to reflash a bricked card I'd say...

Definitely read, read, and read some more!
m
l
January 21, 2010 2:10:19 AM

thanks...yea I would prolly need some aftermarket cooling if I was gonna mess with the voltages. another thing i've never installed. I did consider at least taking the card apart and applying some arctic silver 5, but wasn't sure which spots to apply it to. Would you by chance have some type of diagram for that procedure, and maybe explain how to take apart this specific card? thanks
m
l

Best solution

January 21, 2010 2:18:12 AM

Here's a basic tutorial... If you need more detailed let me know, and I can pull my card and do that.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/392860-how-gpu-reapply-...
January 21, 2010 2:51:24 AM

good tutorial. Well if you do this with your 4890..take some pics..I would really appreciate it! I am definitely interested in trying this. I got a nice tube of AS5 sitting here from my last build!You have the ZSFC model correct?
m
l
January 21, 2010 3:29:01 AM

Well I have the ZSFR V3.1 -- Not the greatest. Got the Black PCB and 2x6 PCI-E Power.

I'll definitely do that for you either later tonight or tomorrow. My blackberry 8900 will have to suffice for pics though, as my Powershot took a dump on me last month... :-/
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:56:05 PM

Appreciate it! Should that design be the about the same as the ZFSC? Sorry as you can tell I've never dissembled a video card before. This does void the warranty, correct?
m
l
January 22, 2010 1:24:40 AM

^^ Adamh9

I'm having some issues with my card presently, so before I go ahead and redo the Thermal Compound, I want to make sure that it won't void my warranty, as my card Errors out with 81 Errors on STOCK CLOCKS in OCCT. :-/

I'm going to see if maybe I can RMA it for a better revision, as this is kind of the last straw... I love XFX, but these Non-Reference cards are such a pain!

Danger
m
l
January 22, 2010 3:36:29 AM

that, my friend, does not sound good! hope you bought it at newegg or some place reputable!
m
l
January 22, 2010 4:38:03 AM

Well, I bought it at Best Buy, where I work as computer sales... Unfortunately, its been past our 30day return policy. And from what I hear, this is pretty normal for these Non-Reference boards.

I'm working with XFX right now, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I'll just Vmod it again.

I will actually go ahead and re-apply thermal paste for you though.

Danger
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:17:06 PM

yea. xfx and their double lifetime warranty shouldn't give you a problem! if it's to much risk don't worry about it, though I would like to know how to do this without voiding the warranty as well!
m
l
January 28, 2010 11:58:13 PM

Best answer selected by adamh9.
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:05:54 AM

dangertastick said:
Well, I bought it at Best Buy, where I work as computer sales... Unfortunately, its been past our 30day return policy. And from what I hear, this is pretty normal for these Non-Reference boards.

I'm working with XFX right now, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise, I'll just Vmod it again.

I will actually go ahead and re-apply thermal paste for you though.

Danger

ever get around to it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 4:46:07 AM

adamh9 said:
ever get around to it?

Here are some pics of me replacing the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5 on my Sapphire 4890 Toxic (this is a reference board with Sapphire's aftermarket cooler). Simply unscrew (make sure you put them back in the same order, so take a picture or organize your screws), it will take a little force to seperate the heatsink from the GPU so don't be afraid, I used ArctiClean to remove the old paste, re-applied AS-5, and put it back on. Make sure not to work around carpet and if you do, don't scuffle your feet or anything to create static. Apply the paste the same way you would a CPU, less is more. That's about all the tips I can give from my experience.

m
l
!