Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 Error Explaination? i7 860 w/ p7p55 lx

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2010 4:10:22 PM

So I have an i7 860 processor, with an ASUS P7P55 LX mobo, 4 chips of DDR3 Corsair 1600Mhz RAM, and stock fan(a better one is in the mail, along with 3 fans to attach to my case so that I can increase airflow).

I used the i7 overclock guide listed in this forum(thanks again for that!) along with about 6 other threads on 6 other websites since most people don't overclock with my mobo and processor(I didn't realize I was going to overclock it. . .I mean it is eight 2.8ghz processors lol, so I didn't really research for a good mobo to OC).

So most of the guides say to run Prime95 or other stress testing software on each reboot to find out what is 'stable'. What does the term 'stable' really mean?

I understand that I need to run it for 12+ hours, but does it need to run that long without rebooting(like from overheating), or does it need to run for 12+ hours with ZERO errors?

When I run Prime95 I have 8 'workers', on settings that give me 180 BLCK/FSB on each processor at a total of 3.420Ghz(multiplier of 19). All other settings(besides RAM) stays on auto.

I've had Prime95 stress test using the top option(processor) and 'worker' 4 and 5 give errors immediately and then after 5 minutes 'worker' 2 gives an error(which makes those 3 workers stop testing).

Before that 3rd one errors, the CPU temp gets up to 74C, and when that one drops it goes down to 71C, and then Prime95 runs without anymore errors for however long I run it.

I have a 430W PSU(that came with the antec case), which is going to be replaced this week with a 650W corsair PSU.

Are these errors important since my computer doesn't reboot? Or do any errors at all constitute a reason to lower the voltage, raise the multiplier, etc?

Quick specks on my OC. . .

1.26 Vcore
19 CPU Multplier
180 BCLK

Another quick question about FBS vs Clock Speed. Everyone seems to want to use the highest multiplier possible. Which is a great way to increase the clock speed, but lowers your FBS correct?

My goal is to at LEAST get 3.5Ghz stable with the highest possible FBS. But what I will continue to work on and go for is something like 4.0Ghz with as much FSB as possible(I hope over 200).

And one more quick question about RAM.

I was going 3.5Ghz stable, but had a very low RAM frequency/ratio. I was able to give it a little more Vcore power and lower the clock speed to 3.420 but get my RAM at 1440Mhz at 1.65 volts(with 9,9,9,27 timing).

Spec it should run at 1600Mhz at 1.65 volts with 9,9,9,24 timing. But my board can handle upto 2200.

So if my math is correct, to get my RAM at 2200, I'd have to get my FBS/BCLK to 275? Do you think that will be possible with 4 case fans, and this heatsink( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )? If not what would my best shot be? 250=2000 200=1600 and 225=1800(first # being FSB second # being RAM Mhz).

I always thought overclocking just increased clock speed(cause I never looked into it, seemed too risky to me), and I've always favored FBS to clock speed. But I have literally been up for 60 of the last 96 hours reading forum to forum and doing tests of my own. So I've learned a LOT. I can do a basic OC, which is what I have now, but I'd really like to learn how to get the most of my hardware(with air cooling).

TIA to anyone who can help. I've held myself back from posting questions until I was familiar with what I was doing(and could actually understand the advice I'm given).

January 17, 2010 10:48:53 PM

So I have an i7 860 processor, with an ASUS P7P55 LX mobo, 4 chips of DDR3 Corsair 1600Mhz RAM, and stock fan(a better one is in the mail, along with 3 fans to attach to my case so that I can increase airflow).

I used the i7 overclock guide listed in this forum(thanks again for that!) along with about 6 other threads on 6 other websites since most people don't overclock with my mobo and processor(I didn't realize I was going to overclock it. . .I mean it is eight 2.8ghz processors lol, so I didn't really research for a good mobo to OC).

So most of the guides say to run Prime95 or other stress testing software on each reboot to find out what is 'stable'. What does the term 'stable' really mean?

I understand that I need to run it for 12+ hours, but does it need to run that long without rebooting(like from overheating), or does it need to run for 12+ hours with ZERO errors?
--Yes, you want zero errors. Overheating is bad for the chip / bad in general. Why are you planning on overheating? If you are overheating, your voltages are off, or you need a better heatsink.

When I run Prime95 I have 8 'workers', on settings that give me 180 BLCK/FSB on each processor at a total of 3.420Ghz(multiplier of 19). All other settings(besides RAM) stays on auto.

I've had Prime95 stress test using the top option(processor) and 'worker' 4 and 5 give errors immediately and then after 5 minutes 'worker' 2 gives an error(which makes those 3 workers stop testing).

Before that 3rd one errors, the CPU temp gets up to 74C, and when that one drops it goes down to 71C, and then Prime95 runs without anymore errors for however long I run it.

I have a 430W PSU(that came with the antec case), which is going to be replaced this week with a 650W corsair PSU.

Are these errors important since my computer doesn't reboot? Or do any errors at all constitute a reason to lower the voltage, raise the multiplier, etc?
--Yes, these errors are very important. It wouldn't be a reason to lower the voltage or raise the multiplier, but rather the opposite. It's not currently stable.

Quick specks on my OC. . .

1.26 Vcore
19 CPU Multplier
180 BCLK

Another quick question about FBS vs Clock Speed. Everyone seems to want to use the highest multiplier possible. Which is a great way to increase the clock speed, but lowers your FBS correct?
--You can set the FSB yourself. Most people want to use the highest multiplier, and lower the FSB to acheive the clock they want.

My goal is to at LEAST get 3.5Ghz stable with the highest possible FBS. But what I will continue to work on and go for is something like 4.0Ghz with as much FSB as possible(I hope over 200).
--Having a higher FSB is not better than having a higher multiplier. 200 x 21 = 4.2ghz

And one more quick question about RAM.

I was going 3.5Ghz stable, but had a very low RAM frequency/ratio. I was able to give it a little more Vcore power and lower the clock speed to 3.420 but get my RAM at 1440Mhz at 1.65 volts(with 9,9,9,27 timing).

Spec it should run at 1600Mhz at 1.65 volts with 9,9,9,24 timing. But my board can handle upto 2200.
--Try bumping up the RAM ratio to get as close to your stock rating as possible.

So if my math is correct, to get my RAM at 2200, I'd have to get my FBS/BCLK to 275? Do you think that will be possible with 4 case fans, and this heatsink( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )? If not what would my best shot be? 250=2000 200=1600 and 225=1800(first # being FSB second # being RAM Mhz).
-- No.

I always thought overclocking just increased clock speed(cause I never looked into it, seemed too risky to me), and I've always favored FBS to clock speed. But I have literally been up for 60 of the last 96 hours reading forum to forum and doing tests of my own. So I've learned a LOT. I can do a basic OC, which is what I have now, but I'd really like to learn how to get the most of my hardware(with air cooling).

TIA to anyone who can help. I've held myself back from posting questions until I was familiar with what I was doing(and could actually understand the advice I'm given).

m
l
January 18, 2010 1:55:10 PM

I'm not planning on overheating the chip. I assume it's heat that causes the machine to error or not boot into windows. I hear 75C is really the limit that my CPU should get to at 100% load with Prime95.

So if I get an error in Prime95, but not a reboot, I should try to raise the voltage or lower the multiplier? I believe it's at 1.3 right now x19.

I can set the FSB to a limit before it gives errors or doesn't boot, yes. But I would like the sweet spot to give the highest FSB possible, not highest clock speed. I would think that having 8 processors at even 2.0Ghz would be faster with a high FSB, than 8 processors at 4.0Ghz with a low FSB. Am I wrong?

I would LOVE to get 200 FSB with 21 multiplier. But when I set those it won't boot, or reboots during Prime95.

When I try to bump the RAM to even 1600 it won't boot. But I understand that is limited to my FSB and multiplier. As I said in the post. To get 1600Mhz RAM speed, I have to get the FSB to 200. And my max FSB I can get is about 180 with 19 multiplier.

Thanks again!
m
l
January 18, 2010 2:30:38 PM

all other setting on AUTO??

This means that the mobo now has controler over the voltage supplied to your cpu and etc

I would change that, but only after talking with someone familiar with the voltage needed for these 1156 i7s and what your board can offer

Time for fine grain control of the voltages eh:

as an example, if you were to push it to 3.5 as you said, you need to know things like:

/Billy Mays
DO NOT USE THESE SETTINGS, THESE SETTINGS ARE FOR I7-920 AND IS NOT FOR THESE 1156 MOBOS AS THEY ARE NOT BUILT LIKE THE 1366 MOBOS AND IS NOT AS OVERSPECED AS THEY ARE WITH THE LESS VCC PINS AND POSSIBLE SOCKET ISSUES, AND BECAUSE THESE OLDER CHIPS RUNS AT HIGHER VOLTAGES INITIALLY ALREADY
/Billy Mays

4.2Ghz

Mother Board ( EVGA X58 )
Drivers ( Intel Chipset 9.1.0.1007 )
Bios ( SZ1A )
CPU ( 920 C0 Batch: 3841A385 )
CPU Cooler ( H2O on CPU and PWM )
Memory ( Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 8-8-8-24-74-1T@1.625v)
PSU ( Corsair HX1000 PSU )
GPU ( GTX260 Core 216 x 3 )
Drivers ( 185.20 )
CPU Clock Ratio ( 20X )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 200 )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( 17x )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )
Memory Feature
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Parameters
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 74 )
Command Rate ( 1T )
Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
CPU VCore ( 1.4 ) <<<--- Increased this to stop BSODs
CPU VTT Voltage ( +300 ) <<<--- Increased this to stop BSODs
CPU PLL VCore ( 1.9 )
DIMM Voltage ( 1.625V )
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )
QPI PLL VCore ( 1.325 ) <<<--- Increased this to stop errors
IOH VCore ( 1.375 )
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.625 )
ICH VCore ( 1.25 )
PWM Frequency ( 933 )
CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( Disabled )
Virtualization Technology ( Disabled )
Logical Processor Setting
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Settings
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( 4.8 GT/s )

as you can see there is a hell lot more to pushing a CPU towards a high OC than simply auto and increment the base clock....

you have to find these info for your mobo and etc.

If you want to have a 3 GHz OC, then chances are the auto settings are good, but if you want to go into 3.5 or like this guy, 4.2 then you will need some more tweaking and of course, after market cooler like a TRUE or a darknight

btw this is from the OC guide from evga forums:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=7528
it's great for the 920 and 1366, IDK if it will help much with the 1156 and it is more techy than some of the other guides out there.
m
l
!