XP Search Companion Freezes up. Help!

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
OK. I have had this problem for a long time. I have tried using other search programs like google desktop search and I really don't like them. I am now trying to fix the problem with XP search companion. I have done a lot of searching and have seen many other people having the same problem. I have tried all the fixes I have seen and none of them work. Let me describe the problem and I what I have tried so far.

The Problem: It does not matter how I start XP search, whether from the Start Button, from the Menu or from Right clicking on a folder or drive, I get the same results. I can start XP search, type in query and click search and that all works fine. The search will start and run for a little while and then freeze up the whole computer. The only way to close it is using Ctrl, Alt, Delete. Aside from this problem, everything else runs fine.

What I have tried up to this point:

1. System Restore. When the problem first appeared I tried a system restore, but it did not fix the problem. It has been over a year now and a system restore that far back is out of the question at this point.

2. Stopping and Disabling Indexing Service. This has been done and it has had no effect.

3. Updating or reinstalling the "srchasst.inf" file. I tried this several times using the same XP pro disk that was used to create this install and it keeps saying that it cannot copy the files that are on the disk.

4. Install Microsoft Hotfix "Q319949_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe". Tried to do this several times but I keep getting an error message saying that the file I am trying to install is older then the current one and this hotfix can only be installed on a XP installation that has no service pack updates.

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Wow! A whole week and no response. Could it be that I found the one XP problem that nobody knows how to fix? There are hundreds of people with the same problem out there. Surly someone knows something about this problem.

TRENDING THREADS