Network Password

Hello Everyone,

I just set up a custom (Not with the Win XP Network Setup Wizard) two system
, Win XP-Home & Win 98SE, network. It is just me. No one else will use it. I
have no need for Passwords.

The Win XP sees the Win 98SE. It can access it freely.

The Win 98SE sees the Win XP. It is asked for a Password to access it.

The Win XP is new. The older network was the Win 98SE and a Win 95.

I have had no other problems with Passwords in the past. There are no other
Passwords on either system and I would like it to stay that way.

How do I get rid of the Password logon box that comes up on the Win 98SE ?

I have done a Google search, but can not find a clear explanation on what I
can do.

Any advice, Please, will be Greatly Appreciated,

Wayne
1 answer Last reply
More about network password

    Wayne wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I just set up a custom (Not with the Win XP Network Setup Wizard) two system
    > , Win XP-Home & Win 98SE, network. It is just me. No one else will use it. I
    > have no need for Passwords.
    >
    > The Win XP sees the Win 98SE. It can access it freely.
    >
    > The Win 98SE sees the Win XP. It is asked for a Password to access it.
    >
    > The Win XP is new. The older network was the Win 98SE and a Win 95.
    >
    > I have had no other problems with Passwords in the past. There are no other
    > Passwords on either system and I would like it to stay that way.
    >
    > How do I get rid of the Password logon box that comes up on the Win 98SE ?
    >
    > I have done a Google search, but can not find a clear explanation on what I
    > can do.
    >
    > Any advice, Please, will be Greatly Appreciated,
    >
    > Wayne

    On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
    configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
    that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
    connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
    the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm