Broken motherboard?

G

I built my first computer yesterday, plugged it in and started it up . . . and nothing happened. Three lights on the motherboard lit up once. 2 green and 1 red. The lights on the front of the case flash once as well, then everything goes dead. Fans don't start. Nothing. The lights are only on for a fraction of a second.

Any ideas as to whats wrong?

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
GeForce 9800 GT
Intel Core2 Quad 2.5ghz processer
2 x 2gb of DDR3 ram

I would unplug everything including hard drives, optical drives, case fans EVERYTHING except:

1 DIMM RAM in slot 1
CPU/HSF
Video card

Be sure the Power on switch is hookd up correctly to the Front panel connector on the NB or remove all the front panel cables and use a screwdriver to jump the switch and start the system. If the system fails to POST with ONLY 1 DIMM RAM, CPU/HSF and video card, remove the MB from the case and set it on a box outside the case. Try powering the system on while bench testing like this. If it powers on when bench testing then carefully asemble the MB back in the case with the brass risers in place. Add each component conecting to the MB one at a time and check for any problems from there.

BTW...the 4/8 pin 12v power cable from the PSU to the CPU is plugged in right.

G

I will give it a shot tonight. I can't right now because of my current location. I'll let you know the results when I find them.

Thanks

bilbat

Splendid
Another common cause: double check that all your standoffs are in locations where there's actually a hole in the board. An extra one (I used a CM Cosmos on my last build, and it came with a template, showing where standoffs go for various board types, which I thought was a neat idea; unfortunately, it would've put in an extra one, which would have wreaked havoc) can not only be a problem, but could fry MOBO components...

TRENDING THREADS