Heatsink smaller than cpu

the heatsink on my new arctic freezer pro 7 HSF is smaller than my cpu! is this normal or a problem? it IS made for my 775 cpu.
9 answers Last reply
More about heatsink smaller
  1. No, the copper base on the heatsink should be a little larger than the CPU. RMA it and get another heatsink.
  2. Are you talking about the CPU itself or the entire socket? Post a pic.

    I'v use the ACF Pro 7 and it fits on LGA775 CPU perfectly fine.
  3. Yea the base of the Freezer 7 is actually a bit larger than the CPU.
  4. treefrog07 said:
    No, the copper base on the heatsink should be a little larger than the CPU. RMA it and get another heatsink.


    I emailed Arctic Support and heres what they have to say... "Dear Sir,

    the cooler doesn't need to cover the complete CPU, it is enough, if the cooler covers the centre of the CPU since the core is there and 98 % of the heat is emmited here.

    Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen"

    i guess they know, no?
  5. Shadow703793 said:
    Are you talking about the CPU itself or the entire socket? Post a pic.

    I'v use the ACF Pro 7 and it fits on LGA775 CPU perfectly fine.



    the cpu itself. my xeon is 1.48" x 1.48"

    the base of the heatsink is roughly 1 3/16" x 1 3/16"
  6. OvrClkr said:
    Yea the base of the Freezer 7 is actually a bit larger than the CPU.



    xP not mine...
  7. pics? that may be able to tell us what or what
  8. Might look at getting a new cooler thats big enuff or asking at some other forums where the xeon is used more.

    May I suggest the air cooling forum at Xtreme Systems? Careful, a place full of top pro folks. You word it right you'll get great help. You come across wrong, you won't.
  9. Best answer selected by Jalien.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Arctic CPUs Overclocking