fredep57

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
OK, I have a problem in XP now. If I open an application, the fonts and/or size of the window(s) are not correct.

I have attached a screenshot of the MalWare opening window. I don't know if I installed something that is causing this or if there is a virus. I have scanned my system 3 times with MalWare, SuperANTISpyware, AVG and TrendMicro antivirus and have found very little.

WindowsXPWindowError1.JPG

Some windows get sized to about twice my screen resolution so can't scroll around to get to the various parts and/or buttons!

Please help me fix this.

F

Update the video card drivers (can download them from the PC vendor website), also go to Display Properties, Settings tab, make sure your screen resolution is set to the right one for your monitor (although I don't think that would cause this). Click on Advanced in that same tab, and check the DPI settings, set them to Normal if they are not. Go to the Appearance Tab, set Font Size to Normal if it's not.

Reboot. Issue gone? If not, go back to Display Properties, Settings tab, click Advanced. In the Troublehoot tab there, slide the Hardware acceleration all they way to None, uncheck write combining. Click OK and reboot, issue gone? If it is, go back to that tab and slide Hardware acceleration to Full again, Enable write combining, click OK and reboot. The fix should remain.

If none of that worked, have you installed some type of skinning program that was later removed?

fredep57

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
hang-the-9,

I did most of what you suggested prior to posting this. Tried a couple more times, still have the issue.

As to the "skinning program", what would that be??? I don't remember anything like that.

Still trying to figure it out - I know there is a an answer, just not found yet.

F

Skinning programs like StarDock WindowBlinds http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/ can change Window appearances, but tend to corrupt things as often as they work.

Have you tried to do a System Resotre to a previous time? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx, how to restore is about half way down the page.

fredep57

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
System restore has been stopped for some reason. Well, it only shows the last few hours so something is really amiss.

I know I have probably gotten some kind of virus or trojan or whatever. Just need to understand what has happened.

F