Hi guys, here's my current system:
Core i7 920 @ 3.0ghz
12 GB DDR3 1600mhz
GA-EX58-UD5
Seventeam 850w PSU
3 hard disks of 1TB each
Double evga Geforce GTX 285 in SLI
Windows 7 64bits

What's been happening is that my hard drives keep making ticking noises from times to times (mostly when I try to access them), and that ticking noise usually occurs before a one to two second freeze (where I am free to move the mouse pointer). When I used Mac OSX86 on the machine the ticking noise happened, but I noticed that there was no freezing, whereas windows has a small freeze time.

Every Hard Drive that I put on that machine eventually starts having ticking noises (literally, every hard drive, and it's about 6 already). I thought that the problem was the PSU, since from times to times the screen goes black and the pc freezes when I play a game (when this happens audio works normally while everything else stops responding).

I tried so many Defrag softwares without a hint of success.

I bought another PSU that's supposed to arrive tomorrow (750w corsair), but I'm wondering if the problem really is the PSU or if it's the files that I have.

Thanks for the help.

rosenberg

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I unplugged one of the HDs and hooked it on another machine, seems to be working fine so far.

Here's the output of the remaining ones I have here:
qqohgk.jpg

2zei1rn.jpg

(I'm not sure what those warnings mean, but they sure wasn't there a while ago)

Just to emphasize, every hard disk hooked in this computer eventually starts with the tick noise.

rosenberg

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Guys, I changed the HD sata cables and got a Corsair 750w PSU. The ticking noise seems to have stopped but the yellow warnings are still there, any thoughts?

EDIT: maybe I have spoken too early, the ticking noise continues. Happens mainly when I'm trying to access files on the HD.

rosenberg

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

Well, it's not really soft. It's a really loud and single *TICK* noise that happens from times randomly when I'm accessing files on the HD. But there's a noise that happen before that tick noise, it's like the HD is loading up, and it freezes up the folder while the loading noise is happening (mouse pointer works fine), and when the *TICK* happens, it unfreezes.

sub mesa

Distinguished
I would need audio files to determine whether this sound is abnormal. At the moment, SMART values do not indicate anything is wrong with your drive. Some drives may produce more noise than others, especially those using fluid bearings i think.

It may be just normal..