Format CD-RW

In 'My Computer' when I right click on the D Drive, I am not offered the
option 'Format'. How do I make this option available?
--
Legaleagle
5 answers Last reply

    Legaleagle wrote:
    > In 'My Computer' when I right click on the D Drive, I am not offered
    > the option 'Format'. How do I make this option available?

    First - have to ask - is your D:\ drive a CD-RW capable drive?
    Second - have to ask - do you have CD-RW media in the drive?

    (Sorry - nothing implied there - need to be sure.)

    After that is confirmed - is the drive "Recording Enabled"?
    Open My Computer, right click on your D:\ Drive, choose properties, select
    the "Recording" tab and make sure "Enable CD Recording on this Drive" is
    checked and click OK.

    Otherwise - have you any third party software for CD recording installed?
    Roxio, Sonic, Nero, etc?
    Do they work when formatting the CD?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks very much for your help. The answer to your first and second questions
    is yes. I will try what you suggest.
    --
    Legaleagle

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Legaleagle wrote:
    > > In 'My Computer' when I right click on the D Drive, I am not offered
    > > the option 'Format'. How do I make this option available?
    >
    > First - have to ask - is your D:\ drive a CD-RW capable drive?
    > Second - have to ask - do you have CD-RW media in the drive?
    >
    > (Sorry - nothing implied there - need to be sure.)
    >
    > After that is confirmed - is the drive "Recording Enabled"?
    > Open My Computer, right click on your D:\ Drive, choose properties, select
    > the "Recording" tab and make sure "Enable CD Recording on this Drive" is
    > checked and click OK.
    >
    > Otherwise - have you any third party software for CD recording installed?
    > Roxio, Sonic, Nero, etc?
    > Do they work when formatting the CD?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Hi,

    What is D? CD/DVD? Hard drive volume? USB drive?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What is D? CD/DVD? Hard drive volume? USB drive?

    As they say (whoever 'they' are) the clue is in the title... ;o)

    Aw, I never read the subject lines.....you had to go and spoil it.

    In that case, format is only available if third party burning software is
    installed. Otherwise, all WinXP offers is "erase".

    --

    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What is D? CD/DVD? Hard drive volume? USB drive?
    >>

    > As they say (whoever 'they' are) the clue is in the title... ;o)

Format Computers Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP