Need help on dolby truehd

john_antonio

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Hi! I need help about playing back truehd on my pc. I have 5.1 speakers, asus xonar dx and powerdvd 8 ultra. my computer plays bluray with no hitch but i need help on configuring the asus xonar audio center options. it has an audio channel, sample rate, and analog out settings. the audio channel has options for 6 channels and 8 channels. sample rate has 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 kHz. Last, the analog out has 5.1 and 7.1 speakers. (I wrote only the settings that are concerned about my problem).

1. Transformers bluray menu only has audio setting for truehd 5.1. It doesn't have settings for truehd 7.1. Is this normal? Does it really has only truehd 5.1? And, aren't there any truehd 7.1 movies yet?

2. My xonar has 7.1 ports. The manual says that if I have a 5.1 system, I should connect them to the front, sub/center, and side. I think the side should be rear (that's my configuration on my onboard audio). Is this normal for the xonar that the should-be rear speakers are to be connected to the Side port jack?

3. What settings should be chosen on the xonar audio center?
a: audio channel?
b: sample rate?
c: analog out?

Thanks!

Typer0494

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
There are only a hand full of movies that have a 7.1 true hd soundtrack so what you are seeing is perfectly normal. Dont qoute me on this but i think that powerdvd 8 will only play up to 96 khz sample rate. As far as your speaker posistions, for dolby digital 5.1 your surround speakers should be just behind you on your sides, so yes your zonar is right. 7.1 adds two rear surround speakers. As far as analog out thats what you would use as long as your speakers are hooked to your sound card and you dont have your sound card connected to a home theater system or something else that takes a digital signal (thats what your optical and coax ports are for) I should let you know you can not pass Dolby true hd or dts hd through your coax or optical (toslink) connection. There is just not enough bandwidth. I hope this helps!