Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 9, 2010 9:45:23 PM

Hi guys, i need some advice. Since i want to buy an external hard drive (3.5 inches) for my storage, i want to know which has better perfermance. should i choose the 2TB western digital internal hard drive with external enclosure or should i just buy the 2tb western digital external hard set like the one they are selling in bestbuy? does it really matter? my laptop has both usb 2.0 plugs and 1394 plug so that the speed will not make any difference right? also i am really looking for the longlasting harddrive. you know the harddrive in that big capacity it will store most of my files there. please suggest me in reality. thanks.

More about : external hard drive

March 10, 2010 2:07:39 AM

with strictly storage devices, your not really gonna notice "performance" like you would with a boot disk. But that being said, its always nice to have a storage disk that can swap in for a boot disk if your ever in a pinch. what I do is take my 1.5TB WD 7200rpm and partition off 40GB and leave it alone and never use it. then I use the rest of the space for storage. Now I got my storage device and if Im in a pinch and my Boot Drive ever fails, I got 40GB of space on my storage device that I can Load Windows On till i can get a replacement drive. you could Raid if you want but I don't.

so yes buy a Internal Drive and mount it into a External Enclosure. Thats what I would do. compare prices, When i built my external drive, it was cheaper and higher quality then a prefabricated one at Walmart of Bestbuy.
m
l
a c 357 G Storage
March 10, 2010 2:55:47 PM

If they are implemented properly, the IEEE 1394a (Firewire 400) connection should be significantly faster to use than the USB2 system. However, both will work. So if you buy an enclosure and drive separately, get an external case that has BOTH USB2 and IEEE 1394a interfaces available and use the faster one for most work. You'll still have the USB available as an alternative and as a way to connect to ANY other computer.

Assuming your separate hard drive 2 TB unit is a SATA II device, just make sure the external case you buy accepts a SATA II drive inside.
m
l
!