Sign in with
Your question

Random reboot or can't boot on Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H

Last response: in Motherboards
February 1, 2009 12:21:09 PM

Hi all,

my problem is that my fully new desktop computer with Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 2.0. System randomly reboots or goes to black screen during web browsing or working in linux/windows (does not depend). Sometimes I'm unable to boot after cold boot or after reboot (black screen). System makes long beeps, which may be caused by graphics card. But I'm using intergated graphics controller. The problem is very similar to this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-251619_12_0.ht...

They advised to do this:
- once you have entered the BIOS setup press CTRL+F1 to view the hidden BIOS features; =>there are no hidden BIOS features :( 
- set "EPP MODE" to "Disabled" :( 

CPU temp is ~45 *C, memtest without errors.
Here's the computer:

GIGABYTE MA78G-DS3H rev 2.0, bios FB (01/16/2009)
AMD Dual-Core Athlon X2 5050e (45W)
1x 2GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 A-DATA
Western Digital WD5001ABYS
FORTRON BlueStorm II 500W
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 1, 2009 3:12:07 PM

I would check your video chipset heatsink. It may be overheating. It should be cool enough to hold your finger against for a few seconds. You can also try downloading a newer video driver directly off nvidia's or ati's website. I save new drivers to the documents file, uninstall the current video driver, and reboot, manually installing the new driver.
m
l
February 2, 2009 11:12:48 AM

o1die: thanks for the reply

other: Nobody knows?
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2009 2:15:48 AM

Sounds like you built this system from scratch. One thing to check for is memory timings and voltage. It is very often the case that when you install new ram in a computer the motherboard does not correctly read it and will give it wrong default timings and, especially, wrong default voltage. Make sure you know what are the stock factory timings and voltage for your A-Data memory and then check the bios to see what it has assigned. Often ram has to be manually set in bios. Of course, if you are overclocking the memory bus then you need to bump the voltage up and perhaps relax the timings.
m
l
!