Your question

Should I overclock my P6TD i7 920?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • Build
Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2010 3:24:51 PM

just put together this build, everything is at stock speed. This build is incredibly fast, would overclocking give me any benefits? I wouldn't know where to begin with overclocking and I do not have any additional cooling installed in my system aside from the stock components. Thoughts?

Specs:

i7 920
P6TD 02
6GB DDR3 Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D
XFX 5870 XXX Edition
X-FI Titanium Pro (overkill but from my old system)
Pioneer 22+ DVDr/rw
80GB x-25 SSDSA2MH080G2C1 (operating system)
640GB WD6401AALS (for gaming)
1TB WD10EADS (data horse)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Silverstone ST1000-P (if overclocking, is this PSU stable?)
HAF 932

Thanks for your advice in advance !

More about : overclock p6td 920

a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2010 3:32:05 PM

Well, you would want to upgrade the cooler on the cpu. I enjoy overclocking just to see how far my scores go up in benchmarks like 3d mark etc. You might feel the same way, in this case, yes i would overclock.

If you are just looking for a few extra fps in a game, it wont be worth it because your cpu is more powerful than your video cards.

A few guides i made on overclocking:

1. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overcl...

2. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2010 3:36:26 PM

If you're happy with its performance, no. If you want bragging rights, or want o see how much additional performance you can squeeze from it , then yes. If you choose yes:
-- install an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan, and
-- spend a lot of time reading your manual, tweaking BIOS settings, re-starting, etc., then checking the results with memtest86+ and Prime 95 (it would help you to keep a log of the settings you tried, and whether or not the POSTed, and whether or not they booted to your operating system.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2010 3:38:46 PM

^ Agreed, i would have to encourage you to overclock it, it is TONS of fun.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 3:38:22 PM

treefrog07 said:
... it would help you to keep a log of the settings you tried, and whether or not the POSTed, and whether or not they booted to your operating system.

Excellent idea. My log is a loose leaf notebook with 5 sections: 1 for each of my desktop systems, and the other for my two laptops and other stuff. It contains part and serial numbers, overclock settings, and general notes for all the systems.
m
l
!