strange hd4850 clock speeds

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
according to rivatuner and gpu-z the clockspeed of my card is switching between 500 and 640 mhz rapidly (more than once a second).

this only happens when the gpu is at low or zero load, when i run a game or other gpu heavy task its locks to 640mhz like it should but at idle it should stay in the energy saving mode surely (im guessing thats the 500mhz it keeps trying to switch to)

the card is from gigabyte with 1 gig of vram and i am running xp with the latest catalyst drivers. ive looked at the catalyst driver release notes and there is nothing under "known issiues" section and there are no bios updates from gigabyte yet.

any one experiencing this with their hd4850? could this be fixed in a driver update or something, its almost a non issiue for me as it has no ill effects but maybe its a sign of something being faulty, it would be nice to know if this is "normal" for the card

thanks

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
accu answered your question.

I have a Gigabyte 4850 512mb and it sometimes jumps back and forth between 500 and 625 in 2D. This happens continually and usually when I minimize or maximize a window or have any other changes on screen. It seems that the video card kicks into turbo mode when it needs even slightly more processing power.

And by the way, being rude is the sure way to get help on these forums...