Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What to look for in a Fan Controller?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2010 6:36:25 PM

I have noticed that I will have 12 fans(!) in the case for my new build (1 in PSU, 2x120mm on CPU-cooler, 2x120 for Chipset Cooling, 1x120 Kama Bay, 1x120mm,2x200mm exhaust and 1x200mm intake in case plus 3x120mm optional fans for better airflow). The 200mm fans are rated at 12V and consume 3.4W. The 120mm ones, no idea. Will be a mix of scythe, noctua and cooler-master fans until I unify them later.

Overkill, probably. Still I am looking into controlling the majority of the fans (4+6 for 10 out of 12 fans) through a Kaze server and Kama Panel 2.

Micromanaging? Unecessary? Gonna do it anyway? Yes, Yes and Yes. :D 

Here is the question though:

Is it possible to destroy a fan OR a controller using a combination of the above-mentioned fans/controllers?
If so, when?

Is it possible I will not be able to effectively reduce the fan speed on some fans enough for there to be any difference in sound-level?

What should I check to make sure the fans are compatible and my new build doesnt burn down my new house? :D 

Sorry for the Noobish questions but this will be the first time I am using fan controllers since I am going for a silent (when idle) build. :) 

Thanks in advance,

-Inq

More about : fan controller

a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2010 6:52:39 PM

I would connect the CPU, chipset fan, 2 intake on front, and 2 exhaust on rear and top fans to the motherboard power connectors.

For your config: CPU and chipset fans powered for the motherboard, and the others on two fan controllers: the 1) Kaze server and 2) the Kama Panel 2 - you like them.

But do you really need 12 fans? It sounds like you are approaching this.
m
l
January 19, 2010 7:20:04 AM

Haha! =D Very nice pic! =D Not quite there yet but I agree, 12 fans is a bit much. They are not there without reasons though. The kama Bay is there to get rid of the negative airpressure. The second upper fan (will be using an atcs 840 case) will probably be disabled but not from the start. I want to see how it affects the airflow (negatively I hear). The 2 fans for chipset cooling and 2 optional fans on the harddrive cage will be used to direct the airflow more effectively. Apart from these, everything else is included. Adding 5 fans might still seem like a lot but I also want to test out all the fan/pressure combinations myself . Everyone has an opinion on the matter but there are no definitive answer. At least for my case, I hope to answer the question. =D
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2010 11:17:12 AM

I found that a couple of years ago and thought it was interesting. Let us know what you do, and how well it works.
m
l
January 19, 2010 5:55:38 PM

how cold do you think that crazy fan case keeps things?
m
l
January 19, 2010 5:57:29 PM

Now if I could just find someone to answer my question. :p 
m
l
January 19, 2010 6:18:55 PM

d-block said:
how cold do you think that crazy fan case keeps things?

Slightly better than ambient? :D  At some point, more fans don't help.

I am going for a balanced (slightly positive airpressure) with nice airflow for the gpu, cpu, hd and ram. :) 

Really want to test it out an report results. :D 

-Inq
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2010 8:24:11 PM

As long as the case can exhaust the same amount of air that is coming from the intakes you should be fine.

I use this in my Antec 300 and it works wonders :

Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The temp probes are very accurate and it has not failed once in more than a year =)

m
l
January 21, 2010 4:00:56 AM

I wonder if people even read the post... :S

Once more:

Is it possible to destroy a fan OR a controller using a combination of the above-mentioned fans/controllers?
If so, when?

Is it possible I will not be able to effectively reduce the fan speed on some fans enough for there to be any difference in sound-level?

What should I check to make sure the fans are compatible and my new build doesnt burn down my new house?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 11:54:51 AM

I have noticed that I will have 12 fans(!) in the case for my new build (1 in PSU, 2x120mm on CPU-cooler, 2x120 for Chipset Cooling, 1x120 Kama Bay, 1x120mm,2x200mm exhaust and 1x200mm intake in case plus 3x120mm optional fans for better airflow). The 200mm fans are rated at 12V and consume 3.4W. The 120mm ones, no idea. Will be a mix of scythe, noctua and cooler-master fans until I unify them later.

Overkill, probably. Still I am looking into controlling the majority of the fans (4+6 for 10 out of 12 fans) through a Kaze server and Kama Panel 2.

Micromanaging? Unecessary? Gonna do it anyway? Yes, Yes and Yes. :D 

Here is the question though:

If so, when?

Not likely as long as you're using 12v DC computer case fans.

Depends on the fans - fans may need 2-4v to start spinning, and high speed fans may not stop spiing if you try to reduce their RPMs to less than 300 RPMs, low speed fans may spin at lower RPMs, with less noise. Some fans, especially low speed fans are generally quieter than high speed fans. Some mfrs, like Arctic Silver and Noctua specialze in fans that are quieter than other mfrs. and they cost a little more.

What should I check to make sure the fans are compatible and my new build doesnt burn down my new house? :D 

Use fans designed and sold for use as computer case fans - link is here.

[Sorry for the Noobish questions but this will be the first time I am using fan controllers since I am going for a silent (when idle) build. :) 

Thanks in advance,

-Inq[/quotemsg]
January 21, 2010 4:53:11 PM

Best answer selected by Inquartata.
n
nThanx, just what I needed to know. :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2010 5:09:11 PM

You're welcome, enjoy your build.
m