Getting RAM stable need some help

Mr_ranting

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hi everyone. Just join the forum. this is my first attempt at over clocking. Becuase of you guys everything has gone great with a couple exceptions. Having trouble with cold boots. The system starts up abd post just fine but one i get to windows i get a bsod or just a restart crash. then when i boot back up i have no problems what so ever just trucks right along. it has been fun figuring it all out but i would like to be able to just turn it on and go instead of waiting for the crash and restarting.
Also i would like to OC my gpu but not sure how to give if a bit of a voltage bump to get it running smoth at 690+ mhz.
Any help with either of these issues would be awsome. Systems specs below

Antec 1200
Corsair 950w 80amp psu
e8400 e0 stepping @4ghz w/1.4v in Bois 1.38 in cpuz cores 43c idle 63c load
cooler master V8
FSB 445mhzx9 w/1.3v
SPP 1.45V 61c
mcp 1.6v 53c
RAM is OCZ 2gbx2 800mhz DDR2 speical ops edition @ 890 mhz 2.1v
5-6-6-21-t2 timings
BFG gtx 275 34c

adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
when it crashes and restarts your settings most likely default back to default CMOS values. while you are bumping your cpu you are also increasing the ram frequency which can cause this instability. try lowering your fsb and using a higher multiplier so your ram frequency doesn't end up overclocked to high.

Mr_ranting

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
well setting hold at crash restart. sencond time arround all setting are righting in cpuz. itle like it got to warm up like a cold blooded carbrated car engine.
after the cold boot fail and i restart i have no issues what so ever. prime95 will run indefinatly with no errors and respectible heats. i understand that ram is tricky to OC but as i have no choise with a max mutipler i have no choice if i want to hold an OC on the CPU. i Figured i really need some 1200mhz ram the max the board will support then really see what the cpu will go up too though before i take the plunge i would still like to take this as far as i can.

Mr_ranting

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Up graded to so 1150mhz reapers 4 gb kit. Anyone have some ideas for setting with this. Would like to get 4.5ghz linked and snyced. I am not sure what the max fsb I can hit with this mobo. I have hear severaal different ideas. One guy said 460 MHz is as far as you can go another said he is stable at 525mhz. I would like to try for 4.5 ghz which would be 500mhz or 2000mhz qdr. I knows my CPU can handle the voltage to get there. I set at 1.4 vcore in bois till I found a good clock at 4.05. Then backed Down till a freez occurredat 1.3v. Set to 1.325 in bios and been solid. Bit since 1.4v was handled well by the CPU I would like to take it as far as possible. Any know what should do with this CPU memory combo to get 4.5 ?

On the cold boot issue there seems to be alot of threads lately all mentioning this problem and after loooking at most of them they are all using an OCZ PSU - so it may just be that something in the OCZ PSU's requires time to warm up before booting properly.