A few questions

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi. I run a Pentium 4 system with a Asus motherboard. The bios has options to make automatic overclocks. Right now I am running at 10%. I can't seem to go higher than that, because Windows or my computer won't start.

Right now my P4 processor runs at 4.2 ghz. However, I checked in CPUz and my DRAM frequency has dropped to 146 MHz instead of 200. It looks like when you overclock the CPU, the DRAM frequency goes down or something.

My question is : is this possible to overclock both the CPU and memory at the same time? Or maybe overclock the CPU and keep the same speed on the memory?

Also, will the drop in the DRAM frequency affect performance negatively?

Thanks.

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I don't use the original heatsink. I got a new one a while ago it lowers the temperature a lot but it is junk and the fan broke after 2 months, so I had to repair it. It's a Masscool.

I didn't check the temperature so far, because my old Asus Probe program doesn't work in Windows 7. So basically I can't check the temp.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Try speedfan or hmonitor for the temp.
As far as the OCing goes, 4.2GHz isn't bad for a p4.
As for the mem speed, check your BIOS to see if you can manually change the FSB:RAM muliplier; be cautious though, your system may become unstable if you raise the ram speed too much.