Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5K big issues

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2009 7:10:57 PM

Hello! I am new here, but I find out that you guys might be able to help me. I browse almost half of the forums threads hoping that I`ll find out some how the answer i`m looking for.

First I would like to ask you, to forgive my bad english, I`m romanian so it will be probably dificult for you to understand me, as I`m not speaking very well.

And now to procede to main issue that leads me to post here. I have bought recently from e-bay a motherboard, sold as faulty, but from the description, seemed to be just another wrong flashed bios. Easy fix. I thought. eerrrrggghh.....No. I was gonna finally built myself an intel based sistem. It wasn`t to be.

Problem is that it doesn`t start(post, no signal in display) unless I am removing the battery. It doesn`t work with jumpers only. I actually have to remove the battery and then it will start, but only if I press F2. Because If I enter in BIOS and after save and exit it doesn`t post no more. But If I press F2 after the battery has been out for 5 min, it will start, boot in windows, I actually can play games. But If i have to restart the PC, or shut down and then start, it wouldn`t do anything untill I remove the battery and press F2. I mean it seem to start everthing (fans are starting to spin) but I can`t hear the post beep and It doesn`t apear anything on display(no signal).

I tried everything I could possible afford to. I`ve borrowed all the components i could, from friends, neighbours, etc

I`ve tested the folowing: 2x1Gb Corsair XMS2;2x2Gb Geil Dragon Black; 2x1Gb Crucial Ballistic all 800Mhz
Then: 2x1Gb Kinston Value Ram; 2x1Gb Corsair Value and a noname stick of 1gb all 667Mhz

CPU`s tested: Celeron D 2.66Ghz; Pentium DC E2200; C2D E6600; C2D E8400

PSU`s tested: EZCool 650W; Corsair TX 650W; TT RB TP 650W; Hyper HPU 630W

G C: HD4850, XFX 7900GT; Asus 8400GS; Palit 9600GT; Gainward 8800 GT

2 brand new batteries

I`ve tried bios upgrade/downgrade; BIOS used: 0405;0408;0414;1006;1201

The PCI-E slot doesn`t seem to have any problem, as the led doesn`t turn on.

I don`t have any disk it didn`t came with original disk.

Any help it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

More about : asus p5k big issues

February 1, 2009 7:16:27 PM

Is it the P5KPL Board you are using?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2009 7:19:30 PM

will_59 said:
Is it the P5KPL Board you are using?

No is the simple one, just P5K
Related resources
February 2, 2009 1:10:20 PM

I have recently encountered a similar problem, though not identical
cold start - fans run then power goes off and it continues this cycle without ever booting/posting

System:
P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
BIOS 0402 or 0404 not sure which it was

System was assembled October 2007 and worked flawlessly (except E-sata conntection) until mid December 2008 when screen would start freezing, intermitently would not recognize USB connected devices, would random reboot, and would fail to complete backups. I purchased Microsoft OneCare, installed and all worked for two weeks, then reverted to freezing and not recognizing devices.
Yesterday after a random reboot it never would go beyond the post screen at USB initializing . . . .

I have removed the battery, cleared the RTC and now it will not stop cycling power on to off every 3 seconds or so (never booting/posting!)

Help!
Regards,
Ken
February 2, 2009 11:41:30 PM

- P5K Deluxe WiFi problem solved -

diggos I must thank you! Using some of your hints has seemingly allowed me to recover my computer!!!

I had similar issues and piecing together from others with like difficulties am back in business!

1) disconected the power
2) removed the battery (as you had stated)
3) removed all RAM except one stick in slot 4 (? - the farthest form the CPU)
This was suggested by some on other sites
4) powered up and got post!

note: experienced the same failure on reboot putting the battery back in so . . .
5) while powered on (w/o battery) I replaced the battery (perhaps not the brightest move, but a dead MOBO is a dead MOBO)
6) ran all the way through to windows and powered down
7) added back all the ram
8) tweaked the BIOS settings

:) Happy again!!!

THANKS DIGGOS!!!!!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2009 6:10:23 PM

vestron said:
- P5K Deluxe WiFi problem solved -

diggos I must thank you! Using some of your hints has seemingly allowed me to recover my computer!!!

I had similar issues and piecing together from others with like difficulties am back in business!

1) disconected the power
2) removed the battery (as you had stated)
3) removed all RAM except one stick in slot 4 (? - the farthest form the CPU)
This was suggested by some on other sites
4) powered up and got post!

note: experienced the same failure on reboot putting the battery back in so . . .
5) while powered on (w/o battery) I replaced the battery (perhaps not the brightest move, but a dead MOBO is a dead MOBO)
6) ran all the way through to windows and powered down
7) added back all the ram
8) tweaked the BIOS settings

:) Happy again!!!

THANKS DIGGOS!!!!!!

You are very welcome! :) 
!